PDA

View Full Version : How are folks handling Arcainist spell casting

Ratupper
September 25th, 2016, 04:02
Since this class has both preparation and spontaneous casting I was wondering how people were handling that?

Ken L
September 25th, 2016, 05:41
I personally don't allow arcanist as they step on the toes of the wizard too much. There's nothing actually wrong with the class, but they take the swiss knife from wizards.

Blahness98
September 26th, 2016, 01:14
For the prepared portion, just use a prepared caster magic list like a wizard. For arcane reservoir, use a power point set up to fuel those abilities.

Callum
September 26th, 2016, 10:53
You can add more than one spell class to the Action tab of the character sheet, as outlined in the wiki:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Character_Sheet#Add_Spell_Class

This is also useful for adding class abilities, etc.

Ratupper
September 26th, 2016, 20:34
Thanks for the info all (I use othe spell classes for magic items and special abilities) but not really what I am getting at...Arcainist both prepare spells and cast spontaneously.

The Arcainist prepares a set of spells per level...once prepared these spells can be cast spontaneously...for Example

My Arcainist is allowed to prepare 4 level one spells from my spell book of 7 1st level spells..I choose mage armor, burning hands, magic missile, and sleep. (easy enough for FG to handle)

As an arcainst I am allowed to cast 3 first level spells per day...each time I cast the spell I can choose any one of the four I have prepared and can cast the same spell multiple times up to my daily limit.

Does that clarify my conundrum...the spells prepared per day is not the same and spells cast per day.

Sorry for not being clear.

darrenan
September 26th, 2016, 20:37
Create two caster classes on your actions tab. Use the first one, set up as a prepared caster, to contain your list of known and prepared spells. Use the second one, set up as a spontaneous caster, to simply track your spell slots. For the second caster, you'll just have one dummy spell per level, named "Level x spell slots" or something like that.

When you prepare spells, you will go into preparation mode and select spells in the first caster class.
When you cast a spell, you will use the spell actions for the spell from the first caster class, and tick off one spell slot used in the second caster class.

Does that make sense? If you're still confused, I can set up an example later this evening when I get home and post some screen shots. (or some other helpful member of the community can do that in the interim)

Ratupper
September 26th, 2016, 20:54
That's what I was thinking but was wondering if there was a better way. Thanks

darrenan
September 26th, 2016, 21:00
Until someone creates a type of caster class that has two numbers per level, I think that's about the best you're gonna get. You could probably do it with an extension, but the UI work would be tricky because of screen real estate concerns (maybe someone will take that as a challenge and prove me wrong). I don't think the work-around above is too painful, it just involves a little bit more scrolling.