PDA

View Full Version : Hosting multiple groups on same campaign?

HavocSmurf
September 23rd, 2016, 00:32
Hi, I'm just wondering what the best way to run two groups of players on the same module/campaign is? I have created a custom module/campaign that I would like two separate groups to play through. Is it best to allow ALL the players to join the same campaign instance or is it better to duplicate the module into two separate campaigns? My concerns between them are:

Single campaign, having group A tokens on maps when group B joins. I suppose I could make notes of where each group left off and delete the tokens and pull them back in next session. I'm pretty sure that encounters, treasure parcels, etc can be repopulated at will between games, so that should be ok.

Two instances of module/campaign, my worry about running two instances, is how do I keep both campaigns updated with changes?

What is the best practice for this scenario, how do you experienced GM's manage this?

Many thanks, Havoc

LordEntrails
September 23rd, 2016, 00:35
Make a module development campaign. This is where you make all your updates and export your module from.
Make two campaigns, open the module in each. Unless you update the module entries in these various campaigns, each campaign will use the latest exported module information. If you have updated module info in a campaign, then you can "Revert Changes" to get the updates, but you will lose your changes.

HavocSmurf
September 23rd, 2016, 01:11
Thank you LordEntrails. So to confirm this as a layman, create a Module Development Campaign (parent campaign) and build/update everything here. Make 2 new campaigns and open the 'parent' module in these. As I update the 'parent' module, I use the 'revert changes' function to update the player campaigns from the master. You do not want to make any changes to the player side of the modules. I'll give it a go!

Moon Wizard
September 23rd, 2016, 02:27
You only need to use the Revert option if you edit the module record in the child campaign. Otherwise, any module edits are automatically applied.

There's a little icon next to the record in the campaign list when a record has been edited. You can also Revert individual records by right clicking on those records when you see the icon.

Cheers,
JPG

HavocSmurf
September 23rd, 2016, 02:37
Thank you Moon Wizard!

HavocSmurf
September 23rd, 2016, 03:02
Thank you Moon Wizard! Now that I know I should create a master module by creating a campaign using a Development designation in the name, is there a way to rename an existing campaign, or import the existing one to a newly designated Development campaign to help keep it straight, or is it just a text reference that this particular module is the master to work from? I could very easily remember which campaign is the master for this particular one, but I like to do things by the book as much as possible.

Moon Wizard
September 23rd, 2016, 03:26
You can literally just copy the whole campaign folder if you want to make a copy of a campaign. The name of the campaign is the name of the folder.

You can find the campaign folders by clicking on the folder button in the upper right corner of the launcher, then navigating to the campaigns sub folder.

Cheers,
JPG

Callum
September 23rd, 2016, 10:38
Just to be clear - when you make changes in your Master campaign, you'll need to export it again as a module. The "player" campaigns will use the information in the module to work from.

LordEntrails
September 23rd, 2016, 16:07
Just to be clear - when you make changes in your Master campaign, you'll need to export it again as a module. The "player" campaigns will use the information in the module to work from.
Yes. Each time you export it (keeping all of the same export values) it will update the module the other two campaigns reference and as long as entries were not modified in those campaign those 'play' campaigns will always reference the latest version of your module (which you export from your 'dev' campaign).

HavocSmurf
September 24th, 2016, 00:09
Super, thank you everyone for the help!

LordEntrails
September 24th, 2016, 06:43
Glad to help, and appreciate the appreciation :)