PDA

View Full Version : Differences between 5e and 3.5

MergeWolf
September 21st, 2016, 12:00
I've have scoured the internet and looked around and there are plenty of places to find what it is like converting from 3.5 to 5e. But I started in 5e and I have heard that 3.5 is a good edition, so what are the differences coming from 5e and going to 3.5?

Talyn
September 21st, 2016, 12:54
5E is more streamlined. 3.5 (including Pathfinder) are more rules-bloated and crunchy. Not to say that 5E won't become that way, it very well could, but for now WotC hasn't put out enough additional rules stuff to weigh the game down with extra crunch.

Both are good, though I'd play Pathfinder any day of the week and twice on Sunday over actual 3.5. Biggest thing depends on you and your players. 3.5 is a crunchier system than 5, more math, more options to build a character, which can (again depending on the players involved) lead to more min/max-ing (Munchkin) players, the games can take longer because everyone gets more and more options and abilities to use not to mention the likelihood of stopping the game to argue, debate and look up rules. And again, who knows, someday 5E might get to that point all over again. I hope not, but it's certainly a possibility because cranking out those books is how they keep their jobs.

Zacchaeus
September 21st, 2016, 14:08
Hi Mergewolf and welcome to the community

Talyn sums things up pretty well I think and I agree with all that he says.

For me 5e goes back to its roots in the AD&D version of the game. It allows for a great deal of freedom and brings back the RP elements which 4e washed out of the game. I've only played one game of Pathfinder so I can't really comment on it but 3.5 became far too bloated with splat books and options. The 5e philosophy is to avoid that and WotC have concentrated on producing large campaign type adventures rather than a dozen player handbooks.

maugrim8866
September 21st, 2016, 15:02
I also agree with the previous posts by Zacchaeus and Talyn, but would add the addition of the Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic is one of the primary differences between the systems.