PDA

View Full Version : Converting old 2E/3E monster/npc's into 5E

Tuendal
September 21st, 2016, 00:30
So i'm playing around trying to learn PAR5E (which is a really sweet tool) and i'm using this for some older modules i had found in Dungeon Magazines (from the 80's).

So my question is really around how to convert the NPC to something relevant in 5E. I'm fairly new at this and have played DnD off and on (more off than on). So i have some minor exposure to some of the older editions. I just thought some of these modules looked fun and trying to get some friends together to play through some.

Here is one of the NPCs as described in the adventure listed in the article.

The brigand leader is quartered in this room. If the alerted by the wolf in area 22, he sets the pit trap and crouches behind the desk, ready to use his wand. The desk adds 7 to his armor class against missile fire (75% cover) (Millard: AC 6; MV 12"; MU5; hp 21; #AT 1; Dmg by weapon type; S 11, I 17, W 14, D 16, C 16, Ch 15; quarter staff, ring of protection +2, wand of magic missiles (14 charges), 30 gp, 10 pp, keys to treasury (area 17) in desk drawer, spells: Magic Missile (x2), shield, shocking grasp, web, mirror image, hold person; AL LE)

How would i convert this to an equivalent npc in 5E? The stats i can do, the hps, are easy, the AC i believe would be 14 based on the AC6, I assume MU5 is Magic User 5th level, but not sure how to relate that to an 5E npc and what the CR/XP should be. Mage listed in the MM is a CR 6 which is a bit high considering the adventure is for 1-3 level.

Most of the NPC's seem to be relatively easy to do (brigands = bandit), hobgoblins, wights, ghoul's all seem to come across fairly straight forward. Its the spellcaster that has me more or less at a loss. There are a few others that reference things such as F3 (which i assume to be Fighter level 3) another item that is confusing is #AT 1 or 3/2 when talking about one of the NPC's;

Thanks for any guidance that you can provide.

Thegroo
September 21st, 2016, 01:47
If i remember right the #AT 3/2 stands for 3 attacks in 2 rounds.

For the Leader i would just refluff a Cult Fanatic (a level 4 spellcaster) CR2

Trenloe
September 21st, 2016, 01:58
Some thoughts here: https://brianmhall.wordpress.com/2015/03/10/5e-dungeons-dragons-old-school-style-older-module-conversion/

And here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gwlJEh8hI63FzppPtbjpOeaxhbNuDENvWl4uowgq9RM/edit

Plenty of other articles if you do some Internet searches.

LordEntrails
September 21st, 2016, 02:16
As you can see from Trenloe's links. You can't just say x=y. Instead I suggest you go for "flavor". Create an all new npc that is of a similar flavor. Don't try to convert AC's or other stats, just do something like Thegroo suggests. Or maybe start with an adept or priest or something similar.

Tuendal
September 21st, 2016, 16:02
Thanks for the feedback. I had found a few items on the internet about conversions but didn't really see where they talked about some of the older nomenclature and how that translated. I'm still new enough to all this to basically be a complete novice, but only way to learn is to dig into it and start doing.

jshauber
September 21st, 2016, 21:32
Thanks for the feedback. I had found a few items on the internet about conversions but didn't really see where they talked about some of the older nomenclature and how that translated. I'm still new enough to all this to basically be a complete novice, but only way to learn is to dig into it and start doing.

Welcome and what a great attitude to have about using FG.

You can drag the 6th level mage into the NPC section and then unlock it to manually edit, You can then remove spells, adjust HP, AC, etc. and you can also modify the CR/XP of the new 5th level mage you have just made. You can even give it a cool name!

Like you said, get in and play with it, you can't break the stuff in the MM, so drag things from it and play around a bit. It really is pretty easy to customize NPCs.