PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Press' Book of Lairs is now available

ddavison
September 20th, 2016, 19:34
All Kickstarter backers have been pre-linked or contacted with an email requesting more information. That means they will mostly just need to run an Update and pick up a copy in their Library > Modules screen.

If you didn't back the Kickstarter, you can now get it directly from the store. The monsters for each lair come from either the SRD Bestiary or the Tome of Beasts. For the best experience, we require that the Tome of Beasts module is also owned by the DM. You can technically run without it, but you will get broken links to any of the TOB NPCs. Take a glance at the store page to read about what all is included. If you are looking for a way to take advantage of all those great new NPCs, you can't go wrong with this collection of lairs. They would be very easy to drop into a number of different locations.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=KPFG5EBOL

Trenloe
September 20th, 2016, 19:55
Very cool.

Question regarding the high and low resolution maps. The conversion notes say: "For this module battlemaps are provided in both high resolution and a lower resolution. Users with good connection speeds can avail themslves of the higher resolution maps whereas others may find that the lower resolution ones suit their set up more comfortably. The lower resolution maps are still of very high quality."

In the three pairs of maps I've looked at quickly they are all the same resolution (width/height in pixels) based off using the right-click -> Resize -> Original Size.

Is the difference that one's been more compressed than the other, and so the "low" refers to smaller file size rather than lower resolution?

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2016, 20:03
Yes, all the maps are the same size. The difference is in the quality. I exported the maps as high quality jpg and low quality jpg from Photoshop. The higher quality maps are generally much larger than 1Mb whereas the lower quality ones are well under .5Mb. When you zoom into the higher quality maps there will be less pixellation and the detail will be sharper.

spite
September 20th, 2016, 20:36
I received an email saying this had been linked to my FG account, but I've run updates a couple times and see no book. What's the best course of action? Email you on the email sent to me, or PM you here with my backer email?

Moon Wizard
September 20th, 2016, 20:44
Send an email to [email protected].

Cheers,
JPG

spite
September 20th, 2016, 20:51
I've emailed that email. Thanks :)

JohnD
September 20th, 2016, 21:47
Will grab this for my group in the next few weeks.

spite
September 22nd, 2016, 02:42
It's all resolved, and I love the book. Only question, is there a way to have the monsters use the pogs, or only the top downs available?

Zacchaeus
September 22nd, 2016, 10:19
It's all resolved, and I love the book. Only question, is there a way to have the monsters use the pogs, or only the top downs available?

Are you talking about the SRD monsters? You can change any of the tokens to whatever you want by dragging a token into the encounter between the name and the number of beasties.
The SRD NPCs come with whatever token is attached to it. Those from the Tome of Beasts will all come with a top down token supplied in that volume.

spite
September 22nd, 2016, 12:02
No I mean the npc list in the Book of Lairs. All the monsters are using top down tokenz instead of pogs. The tome of beasts all uses pigs afaik

Zacchaeus
September 22nd, 2016, 12:22
Em, no. The only NPCs that come with the Book of Lairs are either created by me and use letter tokens or they came from the SRD and that uses a mixture of letter, top down and POG tokens. All the other NPCs are pulled directly in from the Tome of Beasts. So whatever token type is attached to the NPC in those volumes is what gets pulled into encounters in the Book of Lairs. All the NPCs in the Tome of Beasts are POGS; unless yours comes with a different type of token for some reason. However if it does then it will pull that token in.

spite
September 22nd, 2016, 22:17
Possibly the 5 or 6 random ones I opened all happened to be top downs then. :)