PDA

View Full Version : Demo Licenses and OOB Messaging

Minty23185Fresh
September 20th, 2016, 16:19
The Combat Tracker Effect Visibility Options Extension (or EVOE) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33093-Combat-Tracker-Effect-Visibility-Options-for-the-5E-Ruleset) that I am working on extensively uses OOB messaging to route individualized chat messages to the players. This includes dice roll results.

One of my users says his players cannot see their own dice rolls, yet he can see them.

He told me today that he has an Ultimate license and all his players have Demo licenses. I do all my development work exclusively with a single user license.

My question is this: is there any possibility that the demo licenses have reduced OOB messaging handling capabilities?

I suspect not, but I am grabbing a straws now. I cannot get the issue to repeat itself in my development environment.

LordEntrails
September 20th, 2016, 16:48
What about some of the DM options? There are one or two that impact chat visibility of certain things (like die rolls). Maybe there is some unintended interaction there?

Moon Wizard
September 20th, 2016, 17:11
No, there is no difference in functionality with the demo license, other than the inability to host. The Comm API works the same.

If it's showing player rolls on GM and not player, it seems like the rolls are being sent over somehow, similar to dice tower.

If it works without the extension, then some modification made in the script is blocking the local chat output, or forwarding only to GM.

Either way, your best bet is to work with user to recreate the scenario in a step by step fashion. Getting a copy of their campaign directory may be needed, if they can't recreate in a new campaign.

Regards,
JPG

Minty23185Fresh
September 20th, 2016, 20:31
What about some of the DM options? There are one or two that impact chat visibility of certain things (like die rolls). Maybe there is some unintended interaction there?

Thanks Lord Entrails for the suggestion. I had thought of this because while developing EVOE I ran across that code and had to be mindful about not messing it up. Additionally, my user says without EVOE things are fine, with EVOE the dice don't show up. The way he worded his response it implies that he did not change any of the options. I know... I know... You're laughing right? You're thinking to yourself - "That has to be about the most silly-lame-assed leap of faith I have ever heard!!" Okay then, I'll ask :)

No, there is no difference in functionality with the demo license, other than the inability to host. The Comm API works the same.

I figured as much. Thank you Moon Wizard.

If it's showing player rolls on GM and not player, it seems like the rolls are being sent over somehow, similar to dice tower.

Interesting. Hadn't thought of that, though I had verified proper dice tower and no dice tower handling prior to release.

... your best bet is to work with user to recreate the scenario in a step by step fashion. Getting a copy of their campaign directory may be needed, if they can't recreate in a new campaign.

Precisely. In another thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34099-Extension-interaction-Attn-ext-users-and-ext-developers-(soliciting-comments)) we've been discussing possible negative interation of multiple loaded extensions and how to troubleshoot the situation. I've been saving the best:) for last. It looks like it's time to do some pleading for more detailed assistance.

Thanks you both for your valuable time with the quick responses and pertinent suggestions.

Nylanfs
September 20th, 2016, 21:53
Are they possibly using the OOB extension in addition to yours?

Minty23185Fresh
September 21st, 2016, 06:28
Are they possibly using the OOB extension in addition to yours?

OOB Extension? I'm not familiar with this...
It is not on his list.

kylania
September 21st, 2016, 06:36
DOE maybe? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31369-DOE-Sound-Extension

Nylanfs
September 21st, 2016, 19:58
I was thinking of the MotD extension.

Minty23185Fresh
September 22nd, 2016, 00:52
DOE maybe? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31369-DOE-Sound-Extension

My user does mention that he is using the Sound Extension. Reviewing Oz's descriptions, it is definitely a likely candidate, but I can't get the two extensions to interact negatively.

I was thinking of the MotD extension.

Interesting extension.. My user doesn't mention MotD as one that he/she is using.

Thank you both for your suggestions..