PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding and getting set up

BasiliskOnline
September 19th, 2016, 23:23
Hi guys! new potential-user here, if i can get everything set up.

Longtime tabletop gamer looking to move to some online gaming and ive done my research and watched a ton of videos and now ive moved on to my "test it for myself" phase. but so far Fantasy Grounds is winning against Roll20 in my preference.

However I work and game out of a fairly large co-working space, and they dont really have any way to, or wont for a myriad of security and other reasons (i dunno how this **** works xD), do any sort of port forwarding on the router as a whole. I was wondering in this situation where you are in a public coworking space, what options exist? is that still something i could do from my computer or do i need admin access to a router, etc etc?

I dont know much on the technical end of the internet so i dont really know what any of this means in the long run.

Thanks so much for any help or information you can provide!

edit: im realizing now i probably should have posted this in the house of healing? sorry if that is the case!

EDIT 2: SOLVED and I'm going to detail everything i did here so that should hopefully help the next poor rube like me that comes along:

1. Find a VPN, my first attempt directed me to NordVPN, they however couldnt help me, and so i asked for my money back and moved on. Myrdin Potter suggested PureVPN, so before I entered into any sort of purchase with them I contacted their customer service department (via onsite chat client) and asked them the following:

"I am looking to run peer-to-peer gaming that needs inbound TCP communications on port 1802, because I am operate from a coworking space that cannot facilitate that, it was suggested I look into a VPN, is that something your company can facilitate?"

Feel free to copy and paste that for your own use if you want. (Thanks Trenloe for the assistance in some of the phrasing :))

2. PureVPN told me they could facilitate, provided a lists of servers that should allow that port to operate, and told me I needed NAT firewall addon (i dunno whether i did or not or if they were just upselling but when i go into the utilities, under NAT firewall it does let me play with port settings so that seems good :)) Myrdin Potter also reminded me i needed the dedicated IP to make this work, so i added that on (I chose US, i dont know if the region matters!)

3. I was still having some issues, i taked to PureVPN's support via chat again. He couldnt help me and had me fill out a troubleshootin ticket, but i was looking around (I think it was one of multiple threads here from my googling) DO NOT FORGET ABOUT YOUR OWN MACHINE'S PERSONAL FIREWALL. once i configured that, it gave me the greenlight. *facepalm*

Myrdin Potter
September 19th, 2016, 23:57
The best bet when you do not control your router is to use a VPN. That is what I do in hotels when I travel. Look at the threads in the other section.

Trenloe
September 20th, 2016, 00:17
Welcome BasiliskOnline.

You will indeed, as Myrdin mentions, need some form of VPN solution. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi and here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20160-Using-a-VPN-Service-Provider-to-get-around-port-forwarding-issues

BasiliskOnline
September 20th, 2016, 00:42
Thanks Myrdin and Trenloe! I just poked around and am trying out NordVPN, so we'll see if I can get this all going :) You guys are great! :D

LordEntrails
September 20th, 2016, 00:52
Also, Trenloe or Damned has a document on the forums here on how you can setup your own VPN server for $10/year. Then you would be the only one needing to connect to it and your players would never know or need to install anything other than FG.

Side note, I use Hamachi myself when I travel, only need it for a small group of users who are all savvy enough to do this as needed.

Myrdin Potter
September 20th, 2016, 02:49
You only need a VPN, your players always just connect to your IP address. Hamachi is different in that it creates a subnet that everyone needs to join.

JohnD
September 20th, 2016, 04:12
Get your IT guys interested and maybe they'll turn a blind eye while 1802 gets opened.

Gaglug
September 20th, 2016, 05:47
I was going to suggest a bribe to the IT guys to crack the port open for you. Some form of sugar and caffeine based gift should suffice.

BasiliskOnline
September 20th, 2016, 23:55
Acquired a VPN, but now i have no clue what the next step is or how to set up the port forwarding. or whatnot, waiting in queue with their customer service dept.

Trenloe
September 21st, 2016, 00:00
Acquired a VPN, but now i have no clue what the next step is or how to set up the port forwarding. or whatnot, waiting in queue with their customer service dept.
Well, hopefully the VPN you've selected doesn't block ports, or allows you to allow port 1802 through to your computer. Make sure you're clear to the VPN support folks that you're not running a "server", you're just running pear-to-pear gaming and you need inbound TCP communications on port 1802. A lot of companies won't like you running a "server" do don't call it that.

You can do a quick test to see if it works:

Start up your VPN software and initiate a VPN so that you get a new IP address (the end point of the VPN).
Start up Fantasy Grounds, go to "Create New Campaign", in the External Address information field click "<< Click to retrieve >>" - make sure that this is the VPN IP address.
Click the "Run test" button. See if you get success!

Myrdin Potter
September 21st, 2016, 00:00
I use PureVPN with the individual IP option. Most VPN just put you in a pool with other users and do not let connecting ports through.

BasiliskOnline
September 21st, 2016, 00:04
Well, hopefully the VPN you've selected doesn't block ports, or allows you to allow port 1802 through to your computer. Make sure you're clear to the VPN support folks that you're not running a "server", you're just running pear-to-pear gaming and you need inbound TCP communications on port 1802. A lot of companies won't like you running a "server" do don't call it that.

You can do a quick test to see if it works:

Start up your VPN software and initiate a VPN so that you get a new IP address (the end point of the VPN).
Start up Fantasy Grounds, go to "Create New Campaign", in the External Address information field click "<< Click to retrieve >>" - make sure that this is the VPN IP address.
Click the "Run test" button. See if you get success!

I did try that and im still getting "Failed" so thats why i am trying to talk to them.

I use PureVPN with the individual IP option. Most VPN just out you in a pool with other users and do not let connecting ports through.

Well if Nord doesnt work for me, hopefully i can get a refund and go elsewhere (I just signed up yesterday) what are you paying for PureVPN if i can ask?

Myrdin Potter
September 21st, 2016, 00:09
"With PureVPN Annual Account.
Billed $83.87 Every 12 Month"

This gives me a VPN that I use for Hulu and Netflix when I travel out of country. I used to be in China all the time and needed a VPN.

There are other solutions that work. This one I tried and it worked for me.

BasiliskOnline
September 21st, 2016, 00:13
okay so it looks like nordVPN is a no go (I'm thinking maybe a sticky or something about specific VPNs may not be a bad idea, for clueless people like me that have no idea what any of this means xD) Luckily, they are willing to issue me a refund and cancel my account so i can continue onward in my journey.

BasiliskOnline
September 21st, 2016, 00:18
"With PureVPN Annual Account.
Billed $83.87 Every 12 Month"

This gives me a VPN that I use for Hulu and Netflix when I travel out of country. I used to be in China all the time and needed a VPN.

There are other solutions that work. This one I tried and it worked for me.

Excellent! Thats a lil more than i was hoping for, but not terrible, and im hearing that with VPN's you get what you pay is kinda the policy. and its not MUCH more than i paid before. You said something about an individual IP option, is that something that needs to be specified? (since it worked for you, i think ill just do the same!) going to check that out now.

OOO. its on sale right now, for $60 a year! Score!

Myrdin Potter
September 21st, 2016, 00:31
The website has all be info. There are a ton of providers, this one just happened to have a decent reputation for working in China and offered an add-on for an individual IP address.

The cost I showed includes the $1.99 a month charge for the unique IP address. Otherwise you are in a pool like all the other solutions.

BasiliskOnline
September 21st, 2016, 00:34
The website has all be info. There are a ton of providers, this one just happened to have a decent reputation for working in China and offered an add-on for an individual IP address.

The cost I showed includes the $1.99 a month charge for the unique IP address. Otherwise you are in a pool like all the other solutions.

Okay, PureVPN sounds like they are what i want, and you mentioned the dedicated IP addon, is that something that would assist me with FantasyGrounds? or just something you needed for other stuff?

damned
September 21st, 2016, 00:48
Hi BasiliskOnline
Do try Hamachi - its free but all players need to use it. Trenloe linked to the instructions on page 1 of this thread.
If you are technically minded here are instructions for building your own $10/year VPN server.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1mxkdubn8kt46k/Fantasy%20Grounds%20VPN%20Server%20Setup%20-%20draft.docx?dl=0

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig6.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

BasiliskOnline
September 21st, 2016, 00:55
Thanks Damned, I considered it but I want to keep the requirements as light as i can on my players, also i thought i remembered seeing that Hamachi limited the number of people to 5, and I think i'll end up with around 7 (counting DM) especially allotting for guest players and whatnot.

lol, i may look into that for a more long term thing, but if this thread has had to have pointed out, i am very much not technical minded when it gets down to this xD and i did glance over it and i do have no freakin clue what its saying after about the first page. lol xD

Myrdin Potter
September 21st, 2016, 01:25
If you do not buy the individual ip option It will not work.

BasiliskOnline
September 21st, 2016, 01:32

that expains my issues! lol getting that xD *crosses fingers it will FINALLY work*

damned
September 21st, 2016, 01:37
Hi BasiliskOnline the instructions I posted for building your own server are technical :)
Hamachi (free) is limited to 5 total participants but there is a nice trick.
Create two networks - you will be in both - but give the details of network one to half the group and network two to the other half!

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig7.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

BasiliskOnline
September 21st, 2016, 01:40
And they'll both be able to interact? i see. Im steadily making my way to that as I cant get this to work at all.

BasiliskOnline
September 21st, 2016, 02:16
SUCCESS. A BEAUTIFUL GREEN SUCCESS! PRAY FOR ME AND ALL THE HOPES IN THE WORLD THAT I NEVER HAVE TO RETURN TO THIS THREAD! xD

Seriously, though, thank you to all of you for your help!

Trenloe
September 21st, 2016, 02:17
SUCCESS.
What? Where? Who? How?

Myrdin Potter
September 21st, 2016, 03:03
SUCCESS. A BEAUTIFUL GREEN SUCCESS! PRAY FOR ME AND ALL THE HOPES IN THE WORLD THAT I NEVER HAVE TO RETURN TO THIS THREAD! xD

Seriously, though, thank you to all of you for your help!

You have to at least say what was successful so we can settle the internal bet on who gave the best advice. Damned normally wins but the rest of us are eternally hopeful.

damned
September 21st, 2016, 03:37
hahaha - my bet is it was your advice as he mentions green success and Hamachi wont give that.

BasiliskOnline
September 22nd, 2016, 00:20
I just edted the first post so that it would be easily found by people in the same boat as me. but basically my journey is as follows:

1. Find a VPN, my first attempt directed me to NordVPN, they however couldnt help me, and so i asked for my money back and moved on. Myrdin Potter suggested PureVPN, so before I entered into any sort of purchase with them I contacted their customer service department (via onsite chat client) and asked them the following:

"I am looking to run peer-to-peer gaming that needs inbound TCP communications on port 1802, because I am operate from a coworking space that cannot facilitate that, it was suggested I look into a VPN, is that something your company can facilitate?"

Feel free to copy and paste that for your own use if you want. (Thanks Trenloe for the assistance in some of the phrasing :))

2. PureVPN told me they could facilitate, provided a lists of servers that should allow that port to operate, and told me I needed NAT firewall addon (i dunno whether i did or not or if they were just upselling but when i go into the utilities, under NAT firewall it does let me play with port settings so that seems good :)) Myrdin Potter also reminded me i needed the dedicated IP to make this work, so i added that on (I chose US, i dont know if the region matters!)

3. I was still having some issues, i taked to PureVPN's support via chat again. He couldnt help me and had me fill out a troubleshootin ticket, but i was looking around (I think it was one of multiple threads here from my googling) DO NOT FORGET ABOUT YOUR OWN MACHINE'S PERSONAL FIREWALL. once i configured that, it gave me the greenlight. *facepalm*

Myrdin Potter
September 22nd, 2016, 00:42
I do not think you need the NAT and the individual IP options. For me, all ports work on the individual ip. The NAT option should gone you flexibility to use their pools. I prefer to always have my players connect at the same IP address when I travel.

nicolaskf
May 19th, 2018, 18:44
I just edted the first post so that it would be easily found by people in the same boat as me. but basically my journey is as follows:

I did the above and can confirm it was succesfull! :D

A few important points are:

1) Your firewall (on the laptop), double check that it is set-up correctly, else for the test, turn it off for a moment.
2) Make sure your Router / Modem is forwarding to your laptop correctly
3) PureVPN is extensive in features. You will need:
** NAT-Firewall Add-On, and configure it in the web interface.
** When connecting, use the type Dedicated IP else things wont work with protocol L2TP. You find a list of TCP servers here: https://support.purevpn.com/vpn-servers

To check correct working you can use https://www.canyouseeme.org/ and type in 1802 as the port number while your GM Fantasy Ground game is running!

Cheers and good luck to all trying to use VPN with Fantasy Grounds.

Trenloe
May 19th, 2018, 18:48
3) PureVPN is extensive in features. You will need:
** NAT-Firewall Add-On, and configure it in the web interface.
Thanks for re-stressing the usual info. :)

All the people I know who use PureVPN (including me), don't specifically need the NAT-Firewall Add-On. Most people find they need the dedicated IP address add-on only.

Myrdin Potter
May 19th, 2018, 19:07
I don’t have the NAT add-on and it works fine. The only time I have needed to contact their support is to get it through the great firewall of China.

nicolaskf
May 19th, 2018, 19:37
Thanks for re-stressing the usual info. :)

A suggestion would be to introduce a + vote feature in this forum's feature-set :) would save time and make it easier to find / focus the correct info.

Trenloe
May 19th, 2018, 19:43
A suggestion would be to introduce a + vote feature in this forum's feature-set :) would save time and make it easier to find / focus the correct info.
Sorry, that wasn't meant as a sarcastic remark. It's always good to keep stressing what's important. :)

I don't think that type of functionality is available, but I don't know everything that's possible in the forum software.

Gwydion
May 19th, 2018, 20:23
Hey nicolaskf! So glad you were able to get PureVPN working. Works great for me too. Don't know if you saw, but I was able to get AlgoVPN working as well. Lots of options now which is outstanding!

Valyar
May 21st, 2018, 13:13
I am using simple remote port forwarding over SSH tunnel that I open to the cloud server. No need to have VPN servers, clients, just a putty and good keep alive :)

nicolaskf
May 23rd, 2018, 19:54
Hey nicolaskf! So glad you were able to get PureVPN working. Works great for me too. Don't know if you saw, but I was able to get AlgoVPN working as well. Lots of options now which is outstanding!
Great to hear! the more options the merrier!

I am using simple remote port forwarding over SSH tunnel that I open to the cloud server. No need to have VPN servers, clients, just a putty and good keep alive
Thats actually pretty smart :) For me VPN is also about security and some basis of anonymity, so just a port forward isn't enough though...

Why I landed on PureVPN is because I can chose to either connect to a static server with NAT configured, OR I connect to a fully secured server with no ports open, OR I connect to servers that allow streaming (e.g. Netflix US). Which was another use case I didn't get working in AlgoVPN.