PDA

View Full Version : Shield Forthcoming: A Villainous Tale

Alkaven
September 8th, 2005, 01:07
Well, now that I'm all set up with this excellent application, I'm going rebuild (for the third time) my Shield Forthcoming campaign with a new and improved style of play. There's quite a big history to the world, but I've altered it enough to accomodate what I wanted in the first place.

The rules used will be the Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Edition.

I need 3-5 players for this campaign. Sessions are Fridays starting at 7 PM (MST) and concluding around 12 PM (MST) latest. A second day can also be arranged.

Now, I'm trying something different with this adventure, as you can tell from the topic, this is an 'evil' adventure. Meaning you can only play Neutral or Evil characters. I've ran alot of 'good' adventures in the past, and I haven't had a chance to try running an 'evil' adventure yet.

I'm looking for about 3-5 players. You can only create and play 1 character at a time for this adventure. You are able to play different characters during different adventures if you'd like. Experience is not awarded until the end of the adventure (as per rules in the DMG). Starting level is 1 for this adventure.

I hate the die-rolling stat generation honestly... There's been so many annoying things players try to weasle their way through with that I can't stand it. However, because I love the way this application simulates dice, I'm going to accomodate it. Ability Scores must be rolled before class selection, and you can only have 1 set (unless your maximum ability score is 13 or less, or your total modifiers are 0 or less)

Non-standard races are acceptable, but you cannot be an animal/insect/ect. The character's ECL cannot exceed 1.

I can't give an exact estimate on how many encounters there will be. The length of this adventure is meant to be fulfilling, but with some closure. Any players are welcome to participate in the next adventure should they want to advance further.

If you want to participate, you can contact me at [email protected] and/or leave a post. I'm currently doing work on the adventure over the next few days (and digging up my old maps and cleaning them of dust), so you can join using the alias: ugly idol firm zone in case you want to chat a bit.

There's no 'qualifications' per say other than availability. Just have to be a roleplayer.[/i]

wavecutter
September 8th, 2005, 03:04
I am totaly interested!

Alkaven
September 8th, 2005, 03:41
There was quite possibly the problem I did not install the patch first. It's been corrected. If there are still connection issues, send me an e-mail. Also, what ports need to be opened for this application in the event it's a firewall issue?

Asuril
September 8th, 2005, 04:11
->EXTREMELY INTERESTED<-

:)

Is there still room?

Alkaven
September 8th, 2005, 04:54
Yes. The room is still open, and it's working perfectly now. Session doesn't start until this coming Friday. I would prefer meeting or chatting before we start. I don't give out my msn address publicly, but you can get it from me through e-mail.

One of the concerns I ran into just recently was the decency level of the campaign. I want to express that this IS an evil campaign. Not like a half-evil campaign. If you want to rape, steal, kill, by all means. There are some things I limit tho.

1. Everything must be kept at a PG level. If you have things you want to rp, such as massacring children, or a rape scene, please keep it as a subtle description. Don't describe each and every detail. 7 PM (MST), hell even I've had supper by then, and I don't want it to end up all over my keyboard.

2. Some levels of evil are just not acceptable. If your going to kill a party member for the sake of hurting the campaign, you can't play. Your expected to play a somewhat compatible character, and if the others feel uncomfortable with alot of your character's activities, your expected to tone it down to an appropriate level.

3. Everything is in-character, so relax. Someone might be a psychopath that murders screaming victoms, and you might be a little uneasy. Put it into your character. Sandra raises a brow in disgust as Vergan slowly twists Mermaris's head completely 180 degrees.

4. Oh yes. ALmost forgot. There's also a limit to gore. Don't describe in full detail how you managed to get an ogre's skin tied to each end of the room, and intenstines tangled and dangling from the ceiling... Like I said. 7 PM... I'd rather not lose my dinner.

As for the PK concern... I disapprove of it, but hey, if you think it'll benefit you somehow, try as you may but face the consequences. Most situations, I expect players to be playing under the impression that they are evil and know what to expect (Don't trust anyone).

And this is IC remember. I expect us to all get along OOC.

Alkaven
September 8th, 2005, 05:10
Better way of putting it for point #1:

It's expected that characters like those need to have censoring. Examples:

Angelica suddenlys gasps after hearing the crack of Deger's bones from under the bash of her flail, his cries making her skin tingle with pleasure.

can be censored like so:

Angelica bashes Deger with her flail (Censored)

or

Angelica enjoys bashing Deger with her flail *Wink* *Wink*

And I've been getting feedback that rape is a really really big concern (I'm morally against it myself). Moreso to the point that I'm denying that entirely from he adventure. No rape.

Hrathor
September 8th, 2005, 13:52
Also, what ports need to be opened for this application in the event it's a firewall issue?

Port 1802 - it needs to allow incoming and outgoing.

Alkaven
September 8th, 2005, 15:02
Thanks. I managed to fix it. it's down until 5 PM (MST) again though.

I'd prefer getting stuff like character sheets sorted out today, but if necessary, I will do them on the spot on Friday. Preparation kind of helps because I tend to like giving player characters sort of a 'connection' to the campaign in some way. Such as an NPC friend, or a written destiny.

Also, I don't want to imply that everything I've listed above is what I expect. I've never ran an evil campaign before, and most villians I've ever come up with are twisted and clever in some way. I did one in a d20 modern campaign named Simon Vernin who was a total coward, but heartless, and so obsessed with money that it got the best of him in the end.

I'd like to think what I've listed above are the 'capacities'. I really want all of us to have fun first and foremost.

I misspelled villain dammit.

Aladane
September 8th, 2005, 17:19
your time slot is good for me but "evil". Such games in my history tend to be short, but I am very open when you decide to run "good" based games again. Keep me in mind then.

Good gamming

Alkaven
September 8th, 2005, 18:25
I'm not entirely certain what to expect meself. I've kinda thought out a few scenarios of what can possibly happen. Honestly, I'm just expecting characters of a cruel nature.

One of the biggest scenarios I'll expect to tackle is that what makes a good vs evil story different from an evil vs good story is that... Evil doesn't care. Good is normally fighting a villain of sorts, while villains don't fight against anything in particular. So I have to build these encounters under the obvious impression that the player characters will probably not care who dies. If Fredrick the writer is pleading with the party to help save him from an evil band of rogues, or if Doddle Westook forewarns them of an approaching disaster, I can safely assume that none of that even matters.

So I'm thinking the motivation will be gold, power, and glory.

One thing I'm definitely NOT doing is what marvel comics does their characters and decide to make some evil villain a "nice guy" with a bad attitude. That's not evil... That's being a ***** is what that is.

Snikle
September 8th, 2005, 20:15
Remember too, that what is evil in one man's eye, may not be evil in anothers. To many, a Duke who strives for power and complete control of his subjects and land, sometimes to the point of being 'cruel' in their eyes, may seem like he would be evil, but in reality he is just a self serving power hungry Duke.
It will be interesting to see how this campaing progresses. If the players are just outwardly evil and killing, pillaging, raping etc across the lands, then I would suspect someone would come after them, perhaps allot of people may. Do they continue with their murderous rampage, or do they settle down and take over land and become the ruler? Do they side with some evil mastermind who hires them to do his bidding (could open allot of mini-adventures there)?
Keep us updated on how it prpgresses, personally I would not want to DM this game other than as an experiment in gaming, but hey, to each his own! Good luck!

Alkaven
September 8th, 2005, 21:42
Well, essentially, yes. This is a bit experimental.

Well, the alignment is considered part of the personality. Simply saying the duke is a self-serving power-hungry duke doesn't really make him good or neutral, because there's not enough there.

If he inspires fear in his followers because he'll do them harm otherwise, that is evil. If he believes in merciless world conquest, that would be evil. If his definition of power is a threat, then he is most certainly evil.

However, say the scenario was that he was good. If he's got loyal subjects because he cares for them, and protects them, he is good. If he never fires the first shot, or supports a rebelling against tyranny, he is good. If his definition of power is that power is bestowed, he is most certainly good.

If he's a tactical expert, and acheived his power through political influence and intelligence. Perhaps he's a good talker, and a great leader by nature, but he does what he thinks is best for his people, and does not acheive this through causing harm, he is neutral.

Also, yes. I even do this in my good campaigns. After an adventure or two, if the players have even killed one person (specificly an NPC), they tend to run into bounty hunters or even vengeful relatives. It's happened a few times in my adventures. I expect to be doing ALOT for evil characters. Unlike good characters, you've not only got the opposite alignment of foes against you, but even the same alignment of foes.

I'm a fairly clever DM. I find that every action a player makes will tend to have both benefits and consequences. Ayla Zisel decides to purchase the four slaves from the evil slave-trader, only to find that now she has to take care of them since they have nowhere to go.

Snikle
September 8th, 2005, 21:49
Yeah I agree, that is why I am not a big enforcer or believer in Alignment, I tend to run only good campaigns anyway, but I strive more for the players to define their characters by their actions in the game, I feel that saying you are good you are somewhat placing a limiting factor on the player to have his character be who he wants them to be.

Alkaven
September 8th, 2005, 21:56
I find that to be the case with the lawful and chaotic ranges. But there's still a solid definition there. Lawful means justice, and chaotic means anything. If your lawful, you live by order and the balance of rewards/punishments. If your chaotic, you live by no order. You go by your own (commonly unfair) rules.

Lawful characters tend to be more compatible than chaotic characters, because chaotic characters are like: "Let's go! Comon! Comon! Quit wasting time! Planning? Screw that. I'm going solo then! See you later!"

I've always had a difficult time with chaotic characters... They're usually the first to die... Meaning the first players to quit... *sigh*

In the event of a 'change' in the character's alignment through their actions, it's applied at the end of the adventure, for the purposes of spell effects and influence.

Snikle
September 8th, 2005, 21:59
I agree, I just don't like to limit my player to an alignment, never had any problems with it, but I am sure that is not always the case.
As for NPCs, I almost always use an alignment, just for the point of helping to describe an NPC's demeanor. Helps in running the character I think, especially when I come abck to an NPC that has not been seen in a long time.

Alkaven
September 8th, 2005, 22:10
Well, (sorry about the excessive posting btw) I find them necessary because it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense when a player who initially decides their whole life they've become a neutral good character, and all of a sudden in the middle of the adventure, they decide to be spontaneous and do something evil. The alignment is decided during the making of a description for the character.

The limitations are not entirely there though since it can change between adventures. And it certainly helps to give npcs alignments, especially since PCs will go through meeting hundreds of NPCs in their lifetime. I usually try to stick to the 20-Good, 30-Neutral, 50-Evil ratios that are listed in the DMG.

If less than 3 people show up this Friday, I'll probably have to shelf this adventure and start a good-aligned one instead.

Snikle
September 8th, 2005, 23:55
it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense when a player who initially decides their whole life they've become a neutral good character, and all of a sudden in the middle of the adventure, they decide to be spontaneous and do something evil. The alignment is decided during the making of a description for the character..

And I say that is a basic responsibility of a player and really is dependant upon the maturity of the player. I make all my players do up a background, and have never had a problem with a player suddenly doing something totally out of character. If I had players that suddenly went crazy (without a good gosh darn reason) and started acting out of character, then I guess we would have an open slot in my game! :shock:

Alkaven
September 9th, 2005, 03:15
Feels alot like I'm going to have to shelf this one. Not many players interested. Oh well, I've got many other game ideas shelfed if nobody shows on Friday.

Asuril
September 9th, 2005, 03:33
Friday as in the 9th?

And what would 7 MST be in EST?

And what books are you allowing?

I might make a True Necromancer.

Alkaven
September 9th, 2005, 03:42
MST is -7 hours GMT. And EST is -5 hours GMT. So 7 MST is 9 EST.

Also, the core rulebooks are used. However, there are special rules for prestige classes. Pretty much, you can't take the prestige class unless it exists in the adventure. Unfortunately, True Necromancer isn't one of them. I feature 1 prestige class every 2 adventures.

I CAN start as early as 7 pm EST if that makes it easier for most people.

Asuril
September 9th, 2005, 05:23
Uh...

Evil campaign without the evil resources?

Doesn't make much sense, mate.

Might as well run a game for holy knights, but not allow paladins.

Alkaven
September 9th, 2005, 05:46
Well I'm sure you can be more creative than that. Your implying I said "Might as well run a game for True Necromancers, but not allow Necromancers." Oddly a very confusing statement dontcha think?

I can think of hundreds of evil characters with the basic classes in the core rulebooks except for the Paladin. The only thing I'm limiting are prestige classes.

You've got plenty of evil choices, but if you require some bizarre crazy-style character with a prestige class to enjoy the game, can't help you there. I'm not the kinda DM that lets players go nuts and create whatever character they can think up. Your welcome to make a regular Necromancer (Wizard specialized in Necromancy).

And the True Necromancer may indeed make an appearance in an adventure sometime downt the road. Assuming this evil campaign lasts that long.

Snikle
September 9th, 2005, 05:52
I have to agree with Alkaven, it isn't called roleplaying because you have to have a special rule to bring your character to life. I have seen more interesting and amazing characters made from basic classes simply because there was a skilled player behind him, than I ever did with some special class. In fact I would even go so far as to say that someone who has to have a special class to be interesting and unique is missing half the fun and point of a rpg in the first place.

Alkaven
September 9th, 2005, 06:35
Since it's only 19 hours from the first session, I'm going to have the room open at 5 pm MST (7 pm EST) just in case. As of now, since I haven't had a chance to chat with anyone interested on messenger or in the room, It's going to be a first-come style of joining. The first five people to show (like that'll happen) are automatically apart of the adventure.

Also, I need to know if the server is working, has anyone been able to connect since 6 pm (MST). Please let me know. I need to know that this is working.

Asuril
September 9th, 2005, 07:24
Tch, funny how that comment quickly became people assaulting my ability to role play.
I assure you, my ability to role play isn't disappointing.

My point is that certain sourcebooks (such as libris mortis) have a lot of great content that is not normally accessable in a typical game. When I DM, I usually prohibit evil alignments- and many DMs do the same. I just see it as a waste to run a (rare) evil campaign and not even allow the chance to access some of these great features.

Sure, I could role play a necromancer- I probably will. But why not allow my character to actually be one? Seems a bit silly.

Save your drivel about having amazingly interesting core classes for newbies. I'm not a powergamer, I don't min/max, I rarely even use PrCs. I am a role player true and true.

The fact of the matter is that there are books out there to augment the odd chance of playing an evil character. This is one of them. I don't see the harm in making the campaign more fun.

EDIT: And also, I'm very very insulted at the manner of your post, Snikle. I thought this community was friendly.

Snikle
September 9th, 2005, 07:42
Wasn't an attack on anyone's roleplaying ability, just letting my personal opinion about prestige classes get the better of me. I remember way back when the Unearthed Arcana came out and power gamers were born, just left a sour taste in my mouth that has never faded.

EDIT: Alkaven, sorry for getting your thread off track, I will shut up now. :wink:

Alkaven
September 9th, 2005, 16:51
No no, it's alright. I kind of said he "Could be more creative than that", so I generally started this. Sorry. I'm the kind of guy who don't see Prestige Classes or extra resources being a method of adding more fun. It adds more content that is often times more specialized than the content in the core rulebooks. It's entirely just a different style of play.

And I didn't know how rare evil campaigns were up until I made this topic. A few players from my past adventures said they wanted an evil game. I just never ran one because of the obvious logic that was posted here.

Ugh... I have to get several maps done in less than two hours of my day today...

Snikle
September 9th, 2005, 17:26
Are you still planning on running the game? 7mst is too early for me, but if you don't mind I might swing in later and take a gander at how it is progressing.

Alkaven
September 9th, 2005, 18:50
Yes, I still plan on running the game. However, it doesn't really look all too good. I've gotten a few e-mails, and some replies here, but I haven't been able to set anyone up with a character sheet yet.

In the event nobody shows, I'll probably take one of my old dusty adventures and remake it for next Friday.

And yes, you can drop by and spectate if you wish.

Alkaven
September 9th, 2005, 23:06
The game is up as of 4:00 PM MST (6:00 PM EST). I will mostly be doing some setup. Trying to get as much illustrative material done as possible before 7 PM latest. If the minimum amount of players do not show up by 8:00 PM MST (10:00 PM EST) earliest, I will be shelving everything.

As some encouragement, if you do play an evil or neutral character in this adventure, you may use that same character in any other adventure I run, even if it's a good-aligned one. Conditionally for Evil characters, they must 'change sides' and/or become neutral.

For those who didn't get it earlier, the alias to connect by is:

ugly idol firm zone

That's right. It's gotta be an ugly idol that's in a firm zone. Otherwise you'll end up with a sexy idol in a bouncy zone.

Snikle
September 10th, 2005, 01:01
Well I was here at 6pm! That count? Looks like the game didn't happen....?

Alkaven
September 10th, 2005, 03:01
Well, there's two there right now (8 pm). I'm still waiting if you want to join.

Alkaven
September 10th, 2005, 04:06
The game has been cancelled. I am currently beginning my work on a new good-aligned adventure. It's scheduled first session will be announced once it is ready.