PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions

Dugahst
September 19th, 2016, 10:34
I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but here goes;
So I'm considering purchasing and switching over to FG (from roll20). I am a little confused however on how integration works with 5e- i see a dmg and a mm for purchase and those are pretty clear, but there doesn't appear to be a phb- just a core classes pack. Is there no way to get the full phb in FG?

How essential are those purchases anyways? The game I play/run is an in-person game, where the DM has his laptop and one (or more) of the other players has a laptop that is hooked up to a large monitor and they control all the players tokens and what not on the maps. The players for the most part still use printed character sheets and physical dice. - Would this work well with FG? Specifically, one player controlling the tokens of all the players.

If I opt not to purchase say the DMG or the Core classes pack (since I play in person) will this have any effect on digital character sheets within FG, or are these really just for easy and quick look ups- we have multiple copies of the physical books.

The MM pack- in the description it says it comes with tokens for the monsters, does it include all of the monsters? Also why is there a separate pack?

LAN - if all the computers are on the same network, can FG be used without internet connection?

Zacchaeus
September 19th, 2016, 11:02
Hi Dugahst, welcome to the community.

You'll find some information of using FG on the tabletop here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25600-Using-FG-at-the-tabletop) and here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22604-Can-I-roll-my-own-dice)

There are also a number of other extensions such as this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33813-Fg-tv-tabletop-scaling-maps) one for scaling maps for use with the tabletop.

The PHB is called the Complete Core Class Pack on the store; so that's the one you would be looking for if you want an FG version of the PHB.

To answer some of your other questions you need to understand what FG is. The real power behind FG is in the Combat tracker which allows for a great deal of automated combat - especially in 5e but in other systems too. In order to fully use the Combat Tracker each player would ideally connect to the DM (who is effectively the server for the game) and each would control their own character(s); moving; fighting etc. The DM as usual controls all of the NPCs.

The power of the FG version of the PHB is that it makes character creation a simple process of dragging and dropping the character's race, background, class, spells and equipment into the character sheet. A good deal of the creation process is automated in this way (Not all of it but about 85%-90% of it depending on the class).

Normally each player controls the movement etc of their own characters but it is certainly possible for one player to control them all.

IF you don't have the PHB then you can still create characters digitally but you would have to do most of it manually. (You do get the 5e SRD and various other OGL material when you buy the license, but for 5e there are limitations on what is available in the SRD). This post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e) contains useful information about the license options and the benefits of the various Core modules for 5e.

I believe that at least the GM must be connected to the internet (To verify the license) when playing on a LAN.

dulux-oz
September 19th, 2016, 11:33
I believe that at least the GM must be connected to the internet (To verify the license) when playing on a LAN.

Only when the GM has an Ultimate License AND there is one or more Players connecting with the Demo License :)

And welcome Dugahast!

If you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

Dugahst
September 19th, 2016, 11:51
if i get the normal license and host a game as the DM - does the other player (the one running the screen) need to also purchase the add-on content in order to use it (this would be like the core classes pack, dmg, etc)?

dulux-oz
September 19th, 2016, 11:55
Only if they wanted to use it when they weren't connected to the GM, otherwise they use the GM's copy (if he allows them too)

Dugahst
September 19th, 2016, 11:56
ok cool- i can always upgrade it later- its just a hefty price point to get the ultimate and all the content id need initially lol (working on a 200$ atm) lol

dulux-oz
September 19th, 2016, 12:03
If cost is an issue why don't you go for the subscription option. An Ultimate Subscription is only $10/month and a Full is only $4 - plus you could get your players to get their own License/Subscription instead of you having to shell out the whole amount (I know, its the curse that all us GMs have: we're the ones who have to buy everything :( )

Cheers

dulux-oz
September 19th, 2016, 12:05
And don't forget, you don't need all the Modules (DMG, MM, PHB) - you can play perfectly OK without any of that extra stuff, you've just got to put things in manually instead of having it done for you

Cheers

Dugahst
September 19th, 2016, 12:05
the collective price is the only issue-- in two weeks my discretionary fund (a squirrel away some cash from each paycheck to use for stuff i want) will refill a little and I can upgrade to ultimate then- not interested in a sub fee haha

Dugahst
September 19th, 2016, 12:06
And don't forget, you don't need all the Modules (DMG, MM, PHB) - you can play perfectly OK without any of that extra stuff, you've just got to put things in manually instead of having it done for you

Cheers

that is a good point- i may just invest in the MM (for the tokens) and Tome of Beasts for the same reason (have the hardcover book and love it and use those monsters a lot)

EDIT; actually, just watched a video on how you can import your own tokens... which I made tokens on my own for ALL the 5e MM monsters and Tome of Beasts- so i can just use those and save 100$

damned
September 19th, 2016, 13:08
Hi Dugahst and welcome.

Quite a few people do use FG around the table. Quite a few people start that way... and one by one their players start bringing their own laptops too :)

As the above good people have mentioned -

With the Ultimate License you do need an internet connection if you have an unlicensed/free/demo user connect (they actually do the license check so the LAN needs connectivity). If you have two standard/full licenses no license check is performed at game time.

The GM can share whatever resources she has but typically would only share the DD5E SRD Data or DD PHB Deluxe or DD Basic Rules - Player. Dont share more than one of these.
Everything else is a GM resource. Youw ill share individual images and individual maps and individual NPCs (sometimes) and individual Stories etc.

You can buy a Full License and a Sub for month one and then in Month two cancel the Sub (before the first payment comes due) and Upgrade to Ultimate.

Start with the SRD and see where it leads. If the players start migrating more and more to the online experience (still around the table of course) then you might find more value in the full PHB or MM or DMG etc. The adventures are well worth it also - save you so much in prep time.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig1.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Dugahst
September 19th, 2016, 14:47
Another question - so im starting to build my campaign in FG--- but im doing this on my desktop-- if I copy the folder that was created as the campaign name (in the campaign folder of FGs data directory) to the matching directory on my laptop install will EVERYTHING (maps, tokens, etc) copy over?

viresanimi
September 19th, 2016, 15:45
No. You need to copy the tokens over too. Portraits, tokens, modules, and extensions all have their own subfolders right next to the campaign folder.

However, there is an option that might ease the copy pasting. If you turn your campaign into a module and export it, you can include maps / tokens into it, so you have it all in one file. I would only recommend this approach, if the campaign is rather light. If you build an entire campaign world with loads of npc and lots of tokens, then this option isn't all that appealing. But it "can" be done. And editing your campaign must wait until you get back to your desktop.

Personally I would just make sure that I had all the right modules / extensions and then just copy the campaign folder and make sure the portraits / tokens folders were kept up do date. And do be careful with tossing 5 gigs of tokens into said folder. FG would try to load it all.... not a good idea. Just a little tip.

Welcome to the community. Happy gaming.

Vires Animi

Trenloe
September 19th, 2016, 16:06
Reminder to all: If the GM has a full license, one demo/free license can connect. The GM will switch to demo mode (but can still save info), so no other players can connect (or if a licensed player connects the free gets booted). So, for what Dugahst has been initially saying, a single full (GM) license is needed and the player version can use the free/demo.

LordEntrails
September 20th, 2016, 01:02
Another question - so im starting to build my campaign in FG--- but im doing this on my desktop-- if I copy the folder that was created as the campaign name (in the campaign folder of FGs data directory) to the matching directory on my laptop install will EVERYTHING (maps, tokens, etc) copy over?
There is a whole bunch of infomation on creating your campaign/module attached to the document in post #1 of this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

If you go by the guidelines in the attachment, it will save you a lot of headaches down the road (speaking from personal experience :))

Dugahst
September 20th, 2016, 13:07
There is a whole bunch of infomation on creating your campaign/module attached to the document in post #1 of this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

If you go by the guidelines in the attachment, it will save you a lot of headaches down the road (speaking from personal experience :))

Hah- i guess my OCD tendencies are paying off- I was already doing all that stuff (well i haven't made my item entries yet, but was planning on it).

Question; is there a way to pan around the map using the mouse? I hate having to use the little corner button (used to roll20 where i could just right click and hold to move the map)
Question; When making groups (or tabs as i prefer to call them) in the various menus (story, maps, etc) is there a way to label those? So far ive just been color/icon coding them as I haven't figured out if you can label them.

also, I just want to say so far the community has been very helpful!

damned
September 20th, 2016, 14:36
click and hold the middle mouse button and drag the map around :)

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig6.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2016, 14:43
To label tabs type the name you want in chat but don't press return. Now drag what you typed and drop it on the tab.

It's really obvious when you think about it :)

LordEntrails
September 20th, 2016, 16:55
To label tabs type the name you want in chat but don't press return. Now drag what you typed and drop it on the tab.

It's really obvious when you think about it :)
lol, maybe for you! Obvious would be clicking on the tab and getting a text entry box :)

But, I'm pretty sure the doc linked above says how to do this too. But, it's pretty long, and like most forms of education, you'll be doing a good job if you learn 80% the first time you go through it.

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2016, 18:03
lol, maybe for you!

Like many things that are typed it sounded better in my head; and of course sarcasm doesn't always translate.

It was a joke comment :)

Dugahst
September 20th, 2016, 19:26
Question; (building campaign for 5e) We have a house rule that Mithril weapons add +1 to hit- making an item entry for a Mithril Scimitar, I copied a regular scimitar, renamed it, there is a box that says "Bonus" if I set that to +1 does that only add to hit or to both hit and damage- if it does both how can I make it so that it only adds to hit?

LordEntrails
September 20th, 2016, 19:43
Bonus adds to both attack and damage. Open up the weapon attack action by clicking on the magnifying glass to the right of the entry, then you can add the bonus to the attack separately from the damage.

Dugahst
September 20th, 2016, 21:18
Bonus adds to both attack and damage. Open up the weapon attack action by clicking on the magnifying glass to the right of the entry, then you can add the bonus to the attack separately from the damage.

hmmm, my screen looks nothing like that....
https://imgur.com/a/U9IPC

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2016, 21:31
You need to click on the small magnifying glass on the weapon entry in the character's action tab. You can only amend as LordEntrails details once the weapon has been equipped by the player. It's only once the weapon has been equipped that FG works out what the attack roll will be; you can't determine that in advance. Unless you want a bonus to attack and damage in which case you can fill in the bonus box on the weapon dialog.

Dugahst
September 20th, 2016, 21:38
You need to click on the small magnifying glass on the weapon entry in the character's action tab. You can only amend as LordEntrails details once the weapon has been equipped by the player. It's only once the weapon has been equipped that FG works out what the attack roll will be; you can't determine that in advance. Unless you want a bonus to attack and damage in which case you can fill in the bonus box on the weapon dialog.

Ahh, so there is no way to set it up before you load characters- im building this campaign and plan on exporting it as a module, so I have no player characters in it as of yet.

EDIT: also trying to figure out how to make enemy tokens persistent on the map even when they aren't in the combat tracker...

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2016, 22:00
Create encounters for the NPCs so that you can automatically place them on the CT and on the map. See here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Encounters)for more details.

Dugahst
September 20th, 2016, 22:16
either i dont understand what you mean, or you dont understand what i mean
I've read that page and yes I have a pin with the encounter in place, but in instances where players (and mine almost always do) use something like "Arcane Eye" to scope out a dungeon the only way they will see those creatures is by me starting the encounter- when in reality, they should be on the map all the time as they are not invisible enemies.

Trenloe
September 20th, 2016, 22:43
EDIT: also trying to figure out how to make enemy tokens persistent on the map even when they aren't in the combat tracker...
You can't have tokens linked to NPCs on the map without there being the NPC to link to on the combat tracker.

The combat tracker's the center of token/NPC/PC interaction - you need the NPC record there for that to happen.

You could put token placeholders on the map, but these wouldn't be linked to an NPC record - no targeting, drag/drop attacks/damage etc.. You could still use placeholders, but you'd have to manually remove them and move the linked tokens to the correct place once you've added the NPC to the combat tracker.

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2016, 22:48
Ah, I see. I don't think there's really a way to do something like that. If an NPC is on the map then they need also to be on the CT otherwise you are going to have problems targeting them. If you simply place an NPC on the map the PCs aren't going to see them (I think) unless they are also on the CT. I've never come across this particular scenario, since I don't think any player has ever used that spell. Now that I read it I think I would promptly ban it :)

LordEntrails
September 20th, 2016, 22:50
either i dont understand what you mean, or you dont understand what i meanI've read that page and yes I have a pin with the encounter in place, but in instances where players (and mine almost always do) use something like "Arcane Eye" to scope out a dungeon the only way they will see those creatures is by me starting the encounter- when in reality, they should be on the map all the time as they are not invisible enemies.Nope. Not if you are going to export them. You could drag token onto your map, and they will stay for that campaign, but then those tokens will never be linked to the combat tracker. My approach to something like arcane eye is not to show tokens on the map, but rather to make sure the room description includes who's in the room. Because it's most likely that if its not the next encounter, the creatures in the room will have moved by the time the players enter that room anyway.

damned
September 21st, 2016, 01:33
Sneaky bloody players.
Perhaps in this case you might simply describe the room to them - "there are three orcs hiding in the room" until combat is about to ensue (or has the potential to) you wont really need their exact locations.

Dugahst
September 21st, 2016, 02:26
Question; been watching tons of tutorial videos- and some of them were done in the 4e rule set and I really liked the theme/skin/ui whatever you want to call it from that rule set, but I play 5e- is there a way to change the theme/skin/ui?

From google searching I can't seem to find any concrete info about this other than you have to use extensions?

Moon Wizard
September 21st, 2016, 02:34
Each ruleset has its own built-in skin. There's no official extension to re-theme, though the 4E ruleset can be opened if someone wanted to build a new theme extension. It does require some technical ability.

Regards,
JPG

damned
September 21st, 2016, 02:35
It would be a big job. You could go thru and grab the graphics and update the theme definitions but there would likely be some graphics that you would need to modify or create.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig8.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)

MarianDz
September 21st, 2016, 09:34
Hi all,
after reading #21 this thread followed by recomendations how it is possible. Yes everything works perfect but I found something different here.
1.) Drag scimitar from PHP to the Items
2.) create copy of this item (simply draging and release left mouse button in Items window)
3.) Rename this second item (for example Scimitar +1 Hit)
4.) In Options panel (upper right corner - Wheel) I turned Item: Identification - ON
5.) Now I go back to my new created +1 Hit Scimitar and unlock item, give Non-ID name "Stick from special metal" and left item Unlocked
(still I can't add +1 to Hit to this weapon because item must be added to Hero player first, otherway meaned Magnify glass arent present)
6.) Now I give this Item to hero player (draging from Items to PC portrait)
7.) Items appears on this player Items list still unidentified.
8.) But if player draged this Unidenfiied item to his Inventory Tab then without identification it add to Action tab of this hero another weapon
with all stats (we still didn't add +1 to hit through magnify glass) Player now knows that this "Stick from special metal" is weapon with +2 Attack; 1d6 slashing
and what is worst he is possible make attack with this unidentified weapon as with identified because all stats working as weapon common.
9.) In this state we can finally through magnify glass in Hero sheet -> Action tab -> concrete weapon add +1 to Hit (attack)

My questions are:
Is possible prepare for DM complete weapons for example with +1 to Hit at once not make corrections on every item after giving new parcel of items to heroes?
Exist some way how to protect identification items from using method I meaned above? Maybe unidentify items cant be droped to Hero sheets only after
correct identification or maybe another way. I was made experiments and as DM I deleted this unidentified weapon from action tabs of the hero,
and result was item stays in Inventory tab but then after correct identification wosn't added to action tab as weapon back ;o( so this way it doesnt work.
Identification by Item Type, Subtype need to be processed after correct identification not vice versa.

Zacchaeus
September 21st, 2016, 12:00
There is a bug in the current version where a player equips an unidentified weapon and it becomes identified. This is fixed in the next release (3.2) which should be out in a few weeks.

As has been talked about in this thread if you enter a bonus in the Bonus box of the weapon then this will add whatever number you type in there to both attack and damage rolls. If you want to give a bonus only to attack then you need to edit the weapon in the player's actions tab once the player has equipped it. So, t isn't possible to set up a weapon with only attack damage before it is equipped.

Weapons will only populate the actions tab when they are placed in the player's inventory the first time. If you delete the weapon from the actions tab then the only way to get it back automatically is also to delete it from the inventory and then give it back. If you delete it first from the inventory then it will also be deleted from the actions tab.

In v 3.2 if an unidentified weapon is equipped it will not show any bonuses to hit or damage in the actions tab until it is identified and then it will automatically redo the attack and damage boxes.

MarianDz
September 21st, 2016, 15:19
Thank you Zacchaeus for answers.