PDA

View Full Version : New to Fantasy Grounds, Looking for a game... sort of ;)

Zerbious
September 18th, 2016, 05:32
I have been playing D&D since since the original Red Box (early 80s), played through AD&D and returned with 4e. I've played and DMed both local games and on-line games I created with Map Tools.

I'm currently trying to decide between FG and Roll20 as a VTT. I would like to stick with just one platform for my games and I'm leaning strongly toward FG for all the integration. I've been working in both, though I only have the demo version of FG at the moment, I have used the demo to the extent I can. I have watched a ton of videos, as well as games being played on youtube and twitch.

With that said, I am looking for someone that has some experience with the client willing to host a game. Even if its just a one-on-one sample game from something you already have created, one of the purchased WotC modules or a little of both so I can get a feel for how things work.

Thank you!

rob2e
September 18th, 2016, 08:35
Zerbious:

I started with the red box and I too took a break from 1987 - 2009 picking up with D&D 4E. I now play exclusively 5E. I'm in 10 different campaigns currently (9 of them use Fantasy Grounds).

It might be better to actually try and find a one shot to play in. There are always games happening that can be found here on the forums and even with the demo license, you can connect and play with anybody who is DMing a game and get a feel for this (more so than the videos you've watched) in just one session I'm sure.

I'm very PRO Fantasy Grounds, and very ANTI Roll20. That's just me. Some people feel differently, but FG offers WAY MORE automation than does Roll20. The only thing Roll20 has to offer that FG doesn't is dynamic lighting (map line of sight) and FG will have that (figuratively) three seconds from now.

I certainly don't have time myself, at this point to host a new campaign, but if you can't find a one shot (which are easy to find), I might be willing to do a 30 minute mock session, and run you through a couple encounters to get you a feel for it.

Good luck, and welcome to the community.

viresanimi
September 18th, 2016, 10:52
Another Red-Box'er!

So you're leaning towards FG. Good man. The program is worth every copper, but the devs and community makes it prizeless. You won't find a more helpful bunch of people on the net. Never be afraid to ask questions here.

I am CET time, but today I am doing absolutely nothing untill football time. That is american football of course, not that sizzy european thing. I would be happy to give you a tour of FG and its marvels. Just send a PM and I should get a notification of it.

Welcome!

Vires Animi

Seya
September 18th, 2016, 13:13
You should sign up for one the games being offered here also.

https://www.fg-con.com/events/

Zerbious
September 18th, 2016, 14:12
Thank you all! I appreciate the feedback, great advice and links. A great, friendly community just reinforces my thoughts of going with FG!

It's good to know people are doing the one-shots here on FG, Rob2e, I did some locally at a comic store. Great advice and may be just what I need. I made up a character sheet just to get a feel for the program and I was amazed with all you could do.

Thank you for the offer, Viresanimi, I will see what the day brings. I am currently recovering from a 15 year old daughter's birthday party and trying to wake her and the 6 girls that slept over. We have open house (attempting to sell ours) scheduled this afternoon until around 4pm est. Depending on what is happening after, I may definitely PM you.

Thank you for the link, Seya, I will check that out for sure.

Andraax
September 18th, 2016, 14:25
I have a game tonight, you could sit in on it. Castles and Crusades, very similar to old-school D&D.

JohnD
September 18th, 2016, 18:24
Welcome. FG is well worth your investment in your gaming future; it is the best option out there IMO.

I started with the blue box and have been playing in one form or another ever since, save the odd year off every now and again.

Andraax runs a great game - you should take him up on his offer if you can (and Castles and Crusades is a great system especially if you come from as far back as you, Andraax and I do).