PDA

View Full Version : Enworld is down

kevdog45
September 17th, 2016, 23:06
I'm home today because of rain and have been creating my world and cruising forums. I just discovered that enworld is down. Does anyone know why? Just curious.

JeffKnight
September 18th, 2016, 02:44
I'd say they're doing some updating. EnWorld's forum is huge, so even a simple update can sometimes break things, let alone any kind of upgrade. And that's just taking the forum and website scripts into account... if they're messing with php versions and whatnot, it could break a lot of things.

One of the reasons why I shifted from vBulletin to XenForo on my forums is because older versions of vBulletin (I don't like the new "CMS+Forum" versions) don't like anything newer than php 5.4.

LordEntrails
September 18th, 2016, 04:28
They were having database issues for awhile before they put up their 'website is down for maintenance' notice. I suspect it was unplanned, but I'm sure they are working on it to get it back up as soon as they can. Don't forget, I'm pretty sure it's a "second job" or hobby for them. I'm pretty sure what little income it brings in doesn't do much more than maintain status quo.

kevdog45
September 18th, 2016, 07:21
I'm sure thats true.

ddavison
September 18th, 2016, 13:42
I hope they are able to recover it okay. I normally check there every day and I know how much of a target it can be to run a forum these days.

LordEntrails
September 20th, 2016, 17:02
I see they are still down. Anyone heard anything on some other channel about what's up or when they expect to be back?

Mellock
September 20th, 2016, 17:18
From their twitter account: "Backup database is still importing. It's big. That will take a few more hours, and then some cleaning up will need doing."

That was 7 hours ago, and from a previous tweet: "Looks like the backup we'll be reverting to is from 3 months ago. One we're sure is clean."

Nylanfs
September 20th, 2016, 17:21
Yea, they must have gotten hammered by something. I do NOT envy Morrus.

LordEntrails
September 20th, 2016, 17:35
3 months? ugh. That's going to hurt some people.

Thanks for looking that up. I should have known to check those places.

kevdog45
September 20th, 2016, 19:43
I just signed up with Patreon for them. I hope my info isn't out in the nether world now.

Nylanfs
September 20th, 2016, 21:36
Patreon is completely separate, the most that could be released is email and maybe name.

Nylanfs
September 21st, 2016, 14:51
Looks like it's back up.

kevdog45
September 21st, 2016, 16:20
Yes they are back up but if you are a new member you will have to register again and re-do any posts you would like to see up again. I'm not complaining, just passing along the facts. :)