PDA

View Full Version : New to FG & 5th ed, I have no idea what I am doing...

RHM83
September 15th, 2016, 20:24
I downloaded FG awhile ago but until recently have not had much time to experiment with it all. I am an old RPer and usually end up being the DM among my group of friends. Many of our group now live across the county and I think this would be a great way to get the band back together.
I would love to get in a group of some Adventurer's League Games and learn the ropes of the system. I have the full license but that is pretty much it.

Zacchaeus
September 15th, 2016, 21:32
Hi RHM83, welcome to the community.

A good place to start learning about FG is to browse through some of the links here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information) You'll find a number of video and written tutorials covering pretty much all aspects of the software.

Check out this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?40-LFG-Looking-for-Group) too where games are advertised. Furthermore FGCon (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33410-FG-Con-9-October-14th-16th-2016) is just around the corner and that's an ideal place to start since most of the games there will welcome beginners.

dulux-oz
September 16th, 2016, 02:43
Hi RHM, and Welcome!,

If you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

ddavison
September 16th, 2016, 03:15
I highly recommend signing up for a game or two during FG Con. One shots are nice because they don't entail a long term commitment, teach you multiple system and are often run by long-time DMs here on FG. It's also a great way to meet others in the community. It begins on October 14th and some slots might fill up faster than others. Even if a game is showing as full, it is probably worth letting the DM know that you'd be interested being an alternate in case someone doesn't show up for the game.

Brynnan
September 16th, 2016, 16:59
And I am the Adventure League Local Coordinator for Fantasy Grounds and I can help you get started on enjoying AL via Fantasy Grounds. In addition to the recommendations above, one I found most helpful was the Player video by Xorn/Jason Hibdon at on YouTube (https://youtu.be/80a8xuONrj0?list=PLePiBJtKmjLn5IzhpakEcVqAHoYfezZb e).

80a8xuONrj0

Let me know any questions you have when you are ready to start tackling AL. I can fire up my server for you to create a character with.

Jimbo
October 12th, 2016, 13:41
You know I am so ignorant I don't even know what adventurer's league is. I here talk of it but no real context. As for jumping into a game and getting my feet wet well I'd like to but I'm nervous. I have purused the videos but without hands on I'm still a bit lost. I'd love a friendly guide. I don't even know if my system is set up right really I tried to follow the videos.

Zacchaeus
October 12th, 2016, 13:49
Welcome Jimbo to FG and to the Community.

Someone else will fill you in on what Adventures League is since I'm not familiar with it either but there's no need to be nervous about jumping into a game.

Have a look at the FG Con (Click the link in my signature below) where you'll find a number of one-shot games looking for people just like you. One of the primary aims of the Con is to introduce players to the software and to allow them to experience rulesets which they might not be familiar with. It's also a good way to meet other players and DMs and it might lead to a longer term game. You don't need to worry about your set up either; if you are a player all you need is the the Demo version of Fantasy Grounds installed on your computer and nothing else.

GunnarGreybeard
October 12th, 2016, 13:55
You know I am so ignorant I don't even know what adventurer's league is. I here talk of it but no real context. As for jumping into a game and getting my feet wet well I'd like to but I'm nervous. I have purused the videos but without hands on I'm still a bit lost. I'd love a friendly guide. I don't even know if my system is set up right really I tried to follow the videos.
Welcome Jimbo! The best way to learn is to just jump in. Most of the GM's around here, I have found, are pretty newbie friendly and will walk you through pretty much anything you need as long as they can block out some time to do it. I would throw up the server and let you connect and play around but I'm just about to play in a game in a few minutes so will not be available for a while.

ddavison
October 12th, 2016, 14:59
Adventurers Leagues is an Organized Play program for Dungeons & Dragons. It is meant to provide short, single session games that you can join and play and pretty much have the same experience no matter where you play. Over the last 6 months, this program has expanded out to allow play in online environments and in local games in addition to playing at a store.

https://dnd.wizards.com/playevents/organized-play

CrawlingChaox
October 12th, 2016, 18:08
Hi everyone,
I'm always up to organize a quick game to guide newcomers to the features of Fantasy Grounds. Shoot me a private message and we'll try to make it work for a one-shot.