PDA

View Full Version : New to Fantasy Grounds In search of a mentor

DarkDeamon
September 15th, 2016, 19:10
So, like the title says, I am new to Fantasy grounds. I am pretty familiar with table top gaming though. I was in search of a game that I could use to start DMing and this seemed like a great place to start. Now I am not sure how to use the program and I have a hard time learning from the manual. Now i need to search for a good mentor in Fantasy Grounds. Anyone willing to help out? I'm pretty serious about it and and hoping to make a part time hobby of DMing. Hope to hear from someone soon

Nylanfs
September 15th, 2016, 19:23
Welcome to the forums and FG community!

DarkDeamon
September 15th, 2016, 19:27
Thank you.

Nylanfs
September 15th, 2016, 20:02
Here's some video's that will help.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Videos

DarkDeamon
September 15th, 2016, 20:04
Thank you. I have looked at them. I am looking for a mentor

kylania
September 15th, 2016, 20:19
It's probably best for you to describe what your initial questions are rather than just say "someone teach me". There are hours upon hours of tutorials and demos and actual gameplay video out there, blogs of explanations, endless scrolls of forum posts answering other questions, FAQs and Wikis and Owlbears, oh my!

What exactly did you want mentoring in? How to play? How to run a game of 5E? How to convert an adventure? How the combat tracker works in 4E? Who can you talk to about therapy to deal with playing 4E? How to setup cards for a Deadlands game?

Give us an example of the effort you've put into learning and what you're confused by and we'll be able to find you resources to help explain that.

DarkDeamon
September 15th, 2016, 23:03
I want someone to help me in running a game. I have the basic knowledge of playing. I have knowledge in being a player. A close family member of mine use to run games in my place all the time when I was a kid. I would like to run a game on here so other friends of mine can play from home

jasonthelamb
September 15th, 2016, 23:14
Are you looking for someone to be your mentor at DMing, or using Fantasy Grounds?

Trenloe
September 15th, 2016, 23:25
And for what RPG system are you interested in using? There are many: D&D 3.5e, D&D 4e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Barbarian of Lemuria, Castles & Crusades, RoleMaster, Star Wars: EotE, Numenera, Fate, d20 Modern, Mutants and Mastermind, BRP, etc., etc...

DarkDeamon
September 15th, 2016, 23:34
Well, I grew u playing d&d. Pretty sure it was second or third edition. I have looked in to it a bit now that it seems people are actually willing to help and I think i would like to get in to 5e

Diceman
September 20th, 2016, 16:08
Well, I grew u playing d&d. Pretty sure it was second or third edition. I have looked in to it a bit now that it seems people are actually willing to help and I think i would like to get in to 5e

As someone who has played every edition of D&D going back to 1978, I would suggest trying 5e. First, it is the most automated game system on Fantasy Grounds, and the edition itself is one of the best. It incorporates many of the best features of each edition. The game has been streamlined for fast game play and yet still manages to have the feel of playing first edition.

I would start by downloading the free basic rules available right here in the Fantasy Grounds store. It's a great way to get started and learn the new edition. Then once you are feeling comfortable enough with the rules I would suggest purchasing the starter adventure "Lost Mines of Phandelver". I've run that campaign at the table and over Fantasy Grounds. The folks at Smitework did a great job of converting it.

Finally , as others have suggested do yourself a favor and watch every tutorial video for Fantasy Grounds that you can. Combined, these videos will go a long way to explaining how to use the interface and you will get a feel for running a game(watching other people's game session streams}. Just search Fantasy Grounds on youtube and you are on your way if you can't find the video links on the Fantasy Grounds website.

Welcome and good luck.

Nylanfs
September 20th, 2016, 17:18
And even then you will still keep finding out things you didn't know YEARS after getting the software. :)

JohnD
September 21st, 2016, 00:25
If cost is an issue, just $10 will get you Castles and Crusades which is solid.

MadBadHare
September 21st, 2016, 00:48
Welcome to the forums and the community. Here is another suggestion to get some "mentoring" as you have requested. Take a look at TWITCH.TV and look for games being played/Run on FG.
https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons
Just be aware that not all games are being played on FG. Of course we would like to change that ;)

Couple of streamers you could keep an eye open for besides myself would be Rob2e & FSHSchmo - I know they both stream from the DM side of things. I stream more from a player side.
The other good thing about watching the live stream is that you can ask question and interact with the game a bit as long as it is not disruptive to their game.

Hopefully that helps a bit too. There are great resources and people around to help you.

All the best,

MBH

Just another avenue to get you up to speed so to speak.