PDA

View Full Version : Warden Class (5e)

ArteF
September 15th, 2016, 16:49
Returning this here, since I made progress on it, and I look forward to any suggestions.

Version: 1.1

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8497ugfVmguNlRXcVFZdXp3UWM

I decided that some things needed a clarity and tweaking, most of the changes from 1 to 1.1 can be considered a buff as the 0.9.8 to 1 had a pretty large (but expected) effect on how the classes resources were managed.

With that said 1.1 was going to happen mainly because version 1 may as well be very hard mode. The class could function but some paths needed help; here is a list of incoming changes. The PDF hasn't been uploaded because I'm checking grammar and that may take a little bit but I hope those with interest in this class find these changes to be cool.

1. Changed the wording of Chaos Pool Recharge to just Recovery Dice.
1a. Attached this to several features that formerly used 1d6 rolls for recharging, this means they now all share the scaling benefit of chaos recharge rolls.
1b. This change affected, Chaos Trigger, Gathering Entropy, Silent Respite and Foci.
1c. Broken Echo has been given a short rest chaos recharge but still recharges fully on a long rest.
1d. Martial Echo now gives advantage on the attack.

2. Second Trigger now gives advantage and the second attack no longer exists, in its place is now extra attack; in function they are similar, I found second attack to be painfully exclusive.
2b. Changed the free action transfer of Chaos Trigger to instead be on psychic damage so any psychic damage dealt as a killing blow allows the transfer so long as a viable target is within 30-feet. Also replaced free action with reaction as that now makes more sense.

3. Inquisitor has always been the problem child for me, but this round of changes promises to be as close to what I envisioned it to be.
3a. Silent Respite now you gain 2 languages of your choice (It seemed odd to not do this and it seemed odd to do it since Tongues is in the spell list, in the end I went with adding this)
3b. Foci now recharges on a short rest, period. It can also prompt your chaos recharge for its uses when you use it. This was a hard decision for me but this is supposed to be the closest to a brawler this class gets. After doing some testing I found that its spell casting side in fact demanded a buff on its other functions. In other words I approached this path too cautiously going into v1 and this is a rewind on that to try to get it up to snuff. I'll get into this a bit more below.
3c. Scaling buff to Foci damage, now instead of the dice increasing it increases the amount of dice. The dice are now set to 1d8 and increase to 2d8 6th and 3d8 at 14th level. The level scaling was changed to match Wizards.
3d. Volitism Enlightenment has been changed so now you can gain resistance to the element you roll, this is to help clarify something that got very complicated before.
3e. Primordial Foci is now Ascended, it seemed weird to suddenly change from Enlightened to Primordial.
3f. Magisterium was where most of my feedback came from and it needed a bit of a retooling. The overall scaling increase solved half the problem the other half was more about flavor. I did this by expanding the niches and to balance that psychic has been changed.
3g. Elementalism In combat elementalism works very well or not at all, it has a lot of aoe effects, I added the detail that all aoe effects are radial unless stated otherwise like with Fire Focus.

4. Debuff to the Knowledge ability of Keepers, Knowledge itself now is its own pool, it's pretty powerful on one end but its very niche and truer to what I intended for it to be.

5. General phrasing adjustments to try to match the PHB. I'm getting better at it and I want to thank those helping me out for not being nasty about it.

So more on 3b: The main issue is that only the Keeper gets cantrips, what this meant was that in very short order the Inquisitor at 8th level became just a higher hp version of their 1st level counterpart. It wasn't too bad but it needed work. Considering Tricksters and EK both get cantrips on top of a nova while Inquisitors Nova is situational at best it needed a bump in consistency where it lacked Nova. For comparison both the Keeper and the Seeker have their own independent Nova, the Keeper also again gets cantrips and the Seeker has artifices as well as all those skills.

Bumping the amount of uses also seemed to not solve the problem here for the Foci nor did giving it the recharge even at higher levels. The only quick fix to this was to set the Foci to a short rest which is sort of against what I wanted to do... but in the end even wizards have short rest abilities.

Foci is a combat oriented ability however it no longer competes with Chaos Trigger on combat priority and never should have. While Foci is combat related Trigger can be combat related which is a difference I thought was there but this rework on Foci helps establish that.

With this change to Inquisitor the roles are back in order of the difficulty they are supposed to be in based on their rewards. Keepers despite the debuff are still the best spell caster of the 3 with Inquisitor being the easiest to play and Seeker being the most difficult with the biggest rewards.

LordEntrails
September 15th, 2016, 18:07
Nice, very professional looking. A couple of "visual" things I noticed;
- page 1, a lot of the text is hard to read, especially where the black smoke-like parts of the image are. The inital "R" overlays some text below it
- page 2, you have an issue with text placement underneath your table, something got moved off the right side
- page 3, between Arcane Expertise and Eldritch Ward you can see a horizontal line from the background image being out of place or not tiling well. page number is jumbled. I would suggest using something like 'keep with next' on the "Chaos Trigger" heading so it does not end a column without atleast a line or two of text following it. The last paragraph of "Chaos Trigger" text is missing it's indent, begins with "The extra psychic damage..."
- page 4, page number missing
- page 5, page number missing. First sentence of Silent Respite is confusing (to me).

Note, I have not read the entire thing, these were just thing I caught when looking at it visually.

Seems very interesting, thanks for sharing and I hope you share the finished product as well :)

kylania
September 15th, 2016, 19:16
In page 1 if you remove the "wide" formatting it's much easier to read. If you then shrink down the page background a bit it'll be fine.

ArteF
September 15th, 2016, 19:45
Thank you so much for your observation.

On the graphical issue: Yes I had to choose between adding more content or fixing the parchment, I chose to try to get as much out as possible. This includes both page 1 and 3.
On the text issue: Yea, I’m rereading it, for the text placement it’s… tricky… On my PC it looks fine, I’m assuming for some reason your screen may be measured different from the ones I use and so it flips the text again… Not much I can do for that until this is done, then I can save it as a PDF and repost it on google drive.
Coding issue: Yea I didn’t get a chance to number the last couple of pages, I chose to leave that last because the coding to do it is kind of clunky looking, so to avoid clutter while I was still working on it I kept it out. It will be there at the end though.

I literally taught myself how to do this yesterday, and I’m still getting used to the coding so thanks for the help.

LordEntrails
September 15th, 2016, 21:06
Ah, I thought that was a pdf. I see now I was wrong (again *G*).

ArteF
September 17th, 2016, 18:41
-deleted-

ArteF
September 19th, 2016, 20:07
-out of date-

ArteF
September 20th, 2016, 18:22
Alright, as of this point I'm approaching 0.9.5.

From this point on I'd really like to entertain some questions, discussions, or suggestions on the PDF layout or the class balance.

I'm especially interested in talking about the class balance and wording issues that could be helped for more clarity.

ArteF
September 23rd, 2016, 16:49
-out of date-

ArteF
September 29th, 2016, 16:45
-out of date-

ArteF
October 4th, 2016, 01:37
-out of date-

ArteF
October 4th, 2016, 01:38
duplicate post

ArteF
November 6th, 2016, 01:39
0.9.7 is out, change log set up for more general changes there are some other smaller details such as the HD being set back to a d8 and replacing residuum with adamantine in the materials section of the artifices.

ArteF
November 26th, 2016, 19:57
0.9.8 released, change log updated.

ArteF
December 14th, 2016, 01:30
0.9.9 released, working on change log.

Essentially looking for help on wording issues, there are always criticisms on things but at this point the class seems to be where I want it to be mechanically. There are always things I want to tweak but this is it, I'll go over changes and any philosophy behind that stuff as well as play safety issues if any in the change log.

LordEntrails
December 14th, 2016, 02:38
Very nicely done.

First, when it comes to wording powers and abilities, try to mimic the phrases used by WotC. This is to help in the parsing and automation of FG. Note, I have not checked for this, so anything I say below should be ignored if it contradicts that :)

Layout and Appearance
Excellent. Very professional looking and attractive.
- Page 6, Advanced Artifice Effects, Lightning Trap does not have bullet symbol in front of it.
- Page 6, sidebars for Weapon and Ichors, I don't like the background color. The green tint is... off-putting.
- Page 11, Multiclassing and Credits highlighted text appears... like the background color is not intentional. It almost matches the paper texture. Doesn't stand out enough.

Text and Grammar
Makes me uncomfortable. For instance, first sentence, I think this needs a semi-colon or something. It's hard to read. Maybe this is because the case/tense changes between the list/parts? I'll think on this to see if I can think of a way to reword it.

I've tried reading through more and I can't seem to place it. I'll try again in a day or two and let you know if I can think of what's rubbing me the wrong way and how you can adjust it.

ArteF
December 14th, 2016, 03:54
Thanks a lot, I'm still trying to get my head around PHB methods of explaining things... really what it comes down to is on the PDF I need to consider the spacing and sometimes the PHB is just too long winded. For example I put that all your Artificies when noted use your spell save DC, instead the PHB would put X Saving throw against your spell save DC each time. The extra words add up.

ArteF
January 5th, 2017, 18:25
Updated to 0.9.8.5

Mostly grammar and spelling issues were addressed.

There will be a change to Eldritch Warden under keeper, it triggers for regular attacks as part of Eldritch Ward, and the trigger needs to be clarified.

Core class seems to be fine.

The Gathering Entropy was changed, instead of limited uses on short rests per long rest it is now an action to do the Gathering Entropy giving it combat purpose and giving the Warden overall a moment during an encounter where it can act like a spell caster.

The balance with keeper is that for a moment the keeper becomes as strong as a Wizard when relying on spells in combat. This at scales to higher levels and gives a wind up time to big damage Keepers can dish out by giving them more chances to land their higher level rng.

Inquisitor and Seeker cast at almost the level of a Warlock at higher levels the Warlock is clearly ahead of them for spell casting.

ArteF
January 29th, 2017, 03:38
Update 0.9.9

Change log in the OP, roughly 2 more months until this is finished.

ArteF
March 10th, 2017, 05:02
Version 1 updated, enjoy. Any changes will be clarifications.

SethChaos
March 11th, 2017, 01:01
Version 1 updated, enjoy. Any changes will be clarifications.

Hi I am jake from puerto rico i would like to join the group if you guys dont mind a new guy to 5e i used to play D&D at 2008 when i was active in the military i am 30 years old and i am retired so i have time to join you guys when ever would like to play with you guys today if possible thank you hope that you reply to me if possible