PDA

View Full Version : Players Seeing Gray Map Box When I Share Module Map in HotDQ

cdj0902
September 15th, 2016, 02:35
Earlier this week I was running Hoard of the Dragon Queen. My players are currently in Episode 6 and have made it to Castle Naerytar. So I popped up the player version of the castle ground floor on my side (server) so they could see their approach, applied masking over the entire map, unmasked part of the map, and then used right-click radial menu to share it out. As an aside, when I click on the player version of the map it does take it a few seconds to come up. It seems to be a large file.

All 4 of my players' character images showed up in the bottom left of the map window, indicating that they were viewing it. All 4 players reported that a map window opened for them on their clients and that it was completely gray. 2 players reported that after a time the map actually appeared in the window for them. I had 2 players indicate that the window always stayed gray for them. I tried re-sharing but it did nothing for them. They tried restarting their FG clients, with some more sharing out involved. No dice. We ended up having to get a player that could see the map use the Windows snipping tool to past the map into Google Hangouts (typically what we use for audio only).

What is causing me to have this issue? I've read that bigger map files can be a problem and can cause this gray map window issue for clients, but this is a map that came with a paid module. This should be working.

I have a 20Mbps upload speed with a download speed about 5x's that fast. I have all the latest updates to modules and FG. I make sure my players are updated as well. Help!

Mask_of_winter
September 15th, 2016, 02:49
Did they navigate all over the map? Did you try Sync player view to center the map around where they actually are on the map?

cdj0902
September 15th, 2016, 02:54
I did not specifically sync client view, though now that you mention it I should have tried that too. The players know some of the maps come up large and if masked will look blank until they scroll mouse and zoom out to see the unmasked section so I typically don't bother.

Zacchaeus
September 15th, 2016, 02:57
None of the HotDQ maps are big enough to be causing problems.
Get your players to nuke their cache (nuke button on the join screen). Also make sure that you don't have a ton of other stuff shared (not just modules but other maps artwork etc) And check that you don't have a ton of tokens in your shared folder.
Sharing a map might take a bit of time if it's shared with a number of players at once. It's possible they didn't give it long enough.

Trenloe
September 15th, 2016, 06:31
That map is actually pretty big - 6260 x 4687. I don't know what the actual image file size is, but I would imagine it isn't small.

If two players could see it and two couldn't then it is more than likely that the transfer timed out to the two who couldn't see it. Try pre-sharing the map and see if that makes a different - get just one of the players to join so that it is just them downloading the map. Then ask them to open the map from their "Maps" list.

Zacchaeus
September 15th, 2016, 10:42
Actually, yes the map is quite big at around 1.25 Mb or so. Mind you Greenest and The Hatchery are bigger!