PDA

View Full Version : Charisma to Intelligence for Sorcerer?

vyrl21
September 14th, 2016, 04:04
I have a player who wants to play a sorcerer, and as we were building her character it became obvious that this character was going to be rather awkward and self absorbed... not the best character for a high Charisma score, so a couple of us were wondering if it would be possible to switch her spellcasting stat from Cha to Int?

Will it break d&d?

Will it break FG?

Will it not break FG but mean a whole butt tonne of extra work on my part to make the switch work out?

CAN I even make a switch to this? My guess is it will mess up a bunch of auto-fill fields that will be impossible to resolve. Any chance someone has a messy field hack to make something like this work?

JohnD
September 14th, 2016, 04:23
Just play a wizard.

vyrl21
September 14th, 2016, 04:35
Yeah... but they are a dragonborn, and they are really liking the draconic bloodline and the ability to breath fire... so is there an actual solution? or just that, I have been told that before, and I was mainly curious what the technicalities were

LordEntrails
September 14th, 2016, 04:39
You can do it, I think. You'll just have to change all the spell fields etc.

But I wouldn't get caught up that thinking a self-absorbed person can't have a high charisma. I've known several people in my life who are both self-absorbed and very charismatic.

Zacchaeus
September 14th, 2016, 10:52
When you are creating the character drag the sorcerer class into the character sheet. Doing so will set the Spell Ability in the actions tab to use CHA as the default Ability check. Therefore before you add any spells to the character go to the actions tab and on the 'Spells' line click the magnifying glass at the end of the line with Spells on it. Now change the 'Ability' from Cha to Int. This will set the base Ability to Int. Now drag in your character's spells and it will set all of the spell DCs and attacks to be based on intelligence rather than Cha. If there are already spells in there then you can still do the same thing - change the Ability to INT and it will recalculate the spell DC for any spells already in the actions tab.
Other than the spells I don't think there is anything else you'd need to worry about.

vyrl21
September 14th, 2016, 12:22
Thanks very much, I will give this a try! I am a new DM and find myself saying "No you can't do that" to my players a lot simply because I am trying to keep things as simple as possible for myself :) So it is nice to be able to say "Sure that will work" every once in a while!