PDA

View Full Version : Spell AoE on Grid

A'egis Ward
September 13th, 2016, 15:52
Can someone point me towards the info that explains how to use AoE effects in FG on a grid? I can't intuitively figure it out in FG, and I can't find rules on how to overlay AoE spells before/during cast on the grid in FG.

Thanks!!

drakonin
September 13th, 2016, 16:04
Couple things: Right click map, pointers, pick the shape you want to draw then click and drag. Other thing is your can target everyone that is in the AoE then roll the save/dmg in the chat box.

Zacchaeus
September 13th, 2016, 16:20
You can also quickly draw a shape on the map whilst holding down both mouse buttons and drag to get an arrow and if you also hold down SHIFT, ALT or CTRL you'll get a circle cone or square.
Once you have the correct shape and position then as drakonin says CTRL click all of the targets in the area of effect and then roll for attack/save/damage etc. To automate half damage on save properly make sure that you set the option 'Target: Remove on miss' to Multi.

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 16:23
As above. Plus you can also use the "Targeting Mode" tool to multi target tokens once you've used the shape tool to identify which tokens you need to target: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Targeting

LordEntrails
September 13th, 2016, 18:15
As above. Plus you can also use the "Targeting Mode" tool to multi target tokens once you've used the shape tool to identify which tokens you need to target: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Targeting
Cool, another new FG thing I learned this week. Thanks Trenloe!
One question, what's the "Target Mode button" look like?

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 18:18
One question, what's the "Target Mode button" look like?
It's cunningly disguised as a target. :D

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images#Toolbar

Zacchaeus
September 13th, 2016, 19:49
It's cunningly disguised as a target. :D

Half an hour later and I'm still chuckling at this one :)

LordEntrails
September 13th, 2016, 20:49
Half an hour later and I'm still chuckling at this one :)
Yea... If I ever meet Trenloe in person I'm going to smack him off the side of his head, right before I buy him his favorite drink!

I found it. It's greyed out by default so I never thought about it. For those of you who would like an actual image it's the fifth icon from the left (4th from the right)...

jshauber
September 13th, 2016, 22:20
Yea... If I ever meet Trenloe in person I'm going to smack him off the side of his head, right before I buy him his favorite drink!

I found it. It's greyed out by default so I never thought about it. For those of you who would like an actual image it's the fifth icon from the left (4th from the right)...

I would be happy to smack up him upside the head for you next time I see him! And then I will buy myself my favorite drink!

AW--One thing to note is that the squares/hexes that are "covered" by the template will also have a slight shading to them in the color of the drawn shape. This helps in identifying which things are actually hit. Some of the cones and circles may not completely cover a square/hex and thus the creature may not necessarily be caught in the effect.

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 22:29
Oi! I don't like the way this thread's going... First smacking me and buying me a drink (kinda OK), but then smacking me and buying yourself a drink - hangon?!? :o

jshauber
September 14th, 2016, 14:36
Oi! I don't like the way this thread's going... First smacking me and buying me a drink (kinda OK), but then smacking me and buying yourself a drink - hangon?!? :o

Reward for a smack well given! I mean I think LordEntrails would agree that is only fair...

LordEntrails
September 14th, 2016, 18:14
It's a lot of work to give a good smacking. And I agree its only fair to reward oneself for working hard!

Bilbotorm
December 14th, 2016, 21:34
Hello

thanks for that thread, I learned about the double button + ctrl/alt/shift button to quickly draw pointers and see what can be targetted by a spell.
One question though, we're playin' on 5th edition and I recently realized cones were not 90° anymore. A quick search on the web shows that lot of people do believe the same or use old 3.5/pathfinder template...
I bet FG is right as using official ruleset and so on, but where in the PHB are those stuff clearer ? to explain my players that the program is right ? (yeah stubborns...)

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
December 14th, 2016, 21:41
I think this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31370-Incorrect-cone-size-and-shape&highlight=incorrect+cone+size) and the other it links to covers the situation.

Nickademus
December 14th, 2016, 22:53
... but where in the PHB are those stuff clearer ? to explain my players that the program is right ? (yeah stubborns...)

The PHB p. 204, the section titled Cone. It describes the method of determining the area of the cone, which is what FG now does.

MarianDz
December 15th, 2016, 11:50
Is it normal behavior if I select 3 targets for my attack; then rolled on Hit/Miss. And if for example one result is Automatic Miss (or completely Miss); it results in deselecting this missed target for not only this but all next attacks? And I must select back this my previously marked target again through Ctrl+LMB (LMB-LeftMouseButton) or Target Mode icon.

Zacchaeus
December 15th, 2016, 12:10
Is it normal behavior if I select 3 targets for my attack; then rolled on Hit/Miss. And if for example one result is Automatic Miss (or completely Miss); it results in deselecting this missed target for not only this but all next attacks? And I must select back this my previously marked target again through Ctrl+LMB (LMB-LeftMouseButton) or Target Mode icon.

Yes, if you have set the Target: Remove on Miss to Multi or On in the options.

MarianDz
December 15th, 2016, 12:14
Oh, thank you Zacchaeus. Its logic ;o)

LordEntrails
December 16th, 2016, 00:02
Change the option Z mentions so it only removes the targets that saved.

Bilbotorm
December 16th, 2016, 20:41
I think this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31370-Incorrect-cone-size-and-shape&highlight=incorrect+cone+size) and the other it links to covers the situation.

Thanks I was not aware of the issue between cone of 5th and ruleset. so indeed; that's why now its 60° !