PDA

View Full Version : PFRPG Animal Companion Attacks

nickabbey
September 13th, 2016, 00:20
Specifically related to a samurai riding a horse.
The samurai's mount gets combat training and light armor proficiency for free at level 1.
Combat training allows the horse to make it's secondary natural attack with 2 hooves using it's full BAB. Cool!

So I have the horse built in FG as a PC so that the player can control it.
The sheet is all set, but I'm fumbling with the attacks. The bite is easy, it's a primary attack. The hooves are not... it's a secondary attack made up of 2 attacks. Whoah.

First question: How can this horse attack? It has a bite at full bab and 2 hooves at full bab, but how can it use them? Full round attack to get bite + 2 hooves, or move + standard action to get a move + bite or hooves? Definitely NOT a move + all three natural attacks, right?

Second question: How do I correctly configure the hoof attacks in FG? It's a weapon I built with 2 attacks. The stat is BASE, the bonus is blank and the per attack bonuses are all 0. Damage is set to 1d6 and the modifier is STR. Damage is fine, but FG shows the 2 attacks being a +3 and -2. Is this a builtin calculation that the ruleset is doing? I don't see why it would be happening... so maybe I am unaware of something in RAW that says it works this way?

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 01:50
First question: How can this horse attack? It has a bite at full bab and 2 hooves at full bab, but how can it use them? Full round attack to get bite + 2 hooves, or move + standard action to get a move + bite or hooves? Definitely NOT a move + all three natural attacks, right?

You always need to do a full attack to get multiple attacks. 2 hooves is a multiple attack (you're rolling you're rolling for two attacks), so anything more than one bite or one hoof would need a full attack action.

Second question: How do I correctly configure the hoof attacks in FG? It's a weapon I built with 2 attacks. The stat is BASE, the bonus is blank and the per attack bonuses are all 0. Damage is set to 1d6 and the modifier is STR. Damage is fine, but FG shows the 2 attacks being a +3 and -2. Is this a builtin calculation that the ruleset is doing? I don't see why it would be happening... so maybe I am unaware of something in RAW that says it works this way?
This is standard RAW for PCs. Once a PC gets a BAB of 6 they can do two attacks - one at full BAB, one at BAB -5. Put a per attack bonus on attack #2 of +5.