PDA

View Full Version : Wolves and wonder what else?

Varsuuk
September 12th, 2016, 04:55
I had always assumed the Monster Manual had all the monsters that were present in the SRD Bestiary.

I found out I was wrong when I was testing my encounter parser. I purposely gave it a generic name "wolf" without identifying the token source and my code went through the configured module search list for tokens and wrote out the xml as token/wolf.png@DDSRD (real name escapes me as I write this) instead of the expected token/wolf.png@DDMM...

That's when realized there was NO wolf in MM. The likely reason is that it already existed in the PHB under the creatures appendix. I didn't check, but probably all the other creatures listed in PHB are excluded from MM. In any event, since the PHB only has letter tokens, no token existed for wolf except the one found in the SRD which I never usually even open in modules.

I can see where this isn't a "mistake" and why I didn't put it in bug reports. But perhaps it might be nice to add Tokens to the PHB mobs when possible or when tokens exist in SRD for them?

I mean, it works in my parser but it would be nice for "normal" use as well.

Zacchaeus
September 12th, 2016, 10:58
Actually the wolf is in all three publications, the PHB, MM and SRD Bestiary. In both the MM and the PHB it has a letter token, but as you say for some reason it is a top down image in the SRD. I'm not entirely sure why but the Tokens in the bestiary are a mixture of top down and letter tokens whereas the MM has POGS.

Varsuuk
September 13th, 2016, 04:04
Yeah, I was looking at the generated list of tokens in all my FG content and saw that "regular" wolf only existed as a token in the SRD. Which I thought was odd when MM had no wolf.png.

Then I looked at the physical MM I had and I didn't see an entry for Wolf, but then maybe I just was having a brain wind-passing of sorts.

lostsanityreturned
September 13th, 2016, 13:47
Yeah, I was looking at the generated list of tokens in all my FG content and saw that "regular" wolf only existed as a token in the SRD. Which I thought was odd when MM had no wolf.png.

Then I looked at the physical MM I had and I didn't see an entry for Wolf, but then maybe I just was having a brain wind-passing of sorts.

It is the brain thing :P, the MM has wolf on page 341 with the rest of the other animals. Right next to the warg and with the winter wolf on the opposing page :)