PDA

View Full Version : Par5E?

GunbunnyFuFu
September 12th, 2016, 04:23
Good eve!
In the process of trying to work with Par5E for Fantasy Grounds..I'm using the CoreRPG version. Will that allow me to make C & C library modules? if so, what do I need to adjust so the module shows up? I've created a sample reference library mod using it, and I see the .mod in the proper folder, but it's not showing up in a C&C ruleset campaign. Is it even possible to make a library module this way?

Thanks,

GB

damned
September 12th, 2016, 04:49
You cant make classes and items but you can make story Content.
There are some gotchas. Par5e for CoreRPG outputs a module with CoreRPG tags - modules do not work the same way as Extensions - it must be for the actual ruleset you are using - so you will need to update extension.xml firstly with the correct <ruleset> for Castles and Crusades.
Additionally there is a bug in the CoreRPG output and you will need to do a find replace on your db.xml

Par5e for CoreRPG outputs
<text type="string">
while Fantasy Grounds is expecting
<text type="formattedtext">
and so the module loads but no content is displayed....

Trenloe
September 12th, 2016, 05:02
so you will need to update extension.xml firstly with the correct <ruleset> for Castles and Crusades.
definition.xml for a module.

GunbunnyFuFu
September 12th, 2016, 10:58
Damned,

Thanks! I'm attempting to add additional secondary skills so that I can drag them and drop them in, and they'd populate the sheet. Same with advantages that are listed in CK Guide and a couple of other sources.

GB

damned
September 12th, 2016, 12:16
I dont think Par5e will do that for you...
You are going to have to have todo this by hand...

<ranger_conceal>
<value type="string">Conceal</value>
<attribute type="string">dexterity</attribute>
<description type="string">Rangers can conceal themselves extremely well in wilderness areas. With a successful dexterity check, rangers can camouflage themselves so well as to be unnoticeable by most passers-by. Rangers cannot conceal themselves and move silently at the same time until they reach 5th level. At this level and beyond, a ranger can attempt both but must make a successful conceal and move silent check at -5. In this case, movement is reduced to one quarter the normal movement rate.\n\nRangers cannot conceal themselves if being observed, even casually, before the conceal check is attempted. If the observer is momentarily distracted, the ranger can attempt to use this ability. While the observer averts its attention, the character can attempt to get to a hiding place of some kind. The attribute check, however, is at a -10 penalty because the character has to move quickly to the hiding place.\n\nThis ability cannot be used if armors other than those allowed are worn.</description>
</ranger_conceal>

GunbunnyFuFu
September 12th, 2016, 12:41
Thanks!
I certainly don't mind doing it by hand. Does this go into the par5E module that was created?

Talyn
September 12th, 2016, 15:41
I just went through this last week for an Interface Zero adventure conversion. Honestly, just my opinion, if you're not using 5E then for my two cents PAR5E is just about useless for anything other than the campaign Story text. And just for that, I could hand-code the XML in about the same time it took me to get the text ordered and marked up for PAR5E. And even if it works, you may have to go in and manually edit the code it outputs because there are glitches such as the text element @damned mentioned above, and it gets a lot of things wrong like certain window classes, etc. Even selecting the Pathfinder option in PAR5E it outputs the incorrect ruleset name so you'll never see the module unless you edit the XML.

GunbunnyFuFu
September 12th, 2016, 16:08
This is my first foray with Par5E. Currently, my C&C players have picked advantages, secondary skills, and such out of a document (PDF) that I downloaded. Currently, I just create a new skill on their character sheet, and copy/paste the text in. It works, though having drag and drop from a module that I created would be easier in the long run, plus it gets me some practice at doing such things, for when I expand equipment, I can create a module for that and have that same drag-n-drop functionality. It doesn't look like it's going to happen, from what I'm understanding.

jshauber
September 12th, 2016, 16:37
You might want to contact Andraax and ask him about how he does some of the stuff for C&C.

I play in two of his games and he has added some content for drag/drop ease. Not sure if he has made modules or just done it with in FG, but he should be able to help you along in the process.

GunbunnyFuFu
September 12th, 2016, 17:50
Thank you very much!! I'll reach out to him!

GB

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 03:37
You can also see how the C&C library module XML is formatted by looking at <FG App Data>\modules\TLG80114FG2_CnC_Players_Handbook_5th_Prin ting.mod - and looking at the format of client.xml. Compare this to what you see when you open this module in FG and you'll get an idea of the XML layout.

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 03:50
I have done that...the issue I have now is that my test module loads without errors, but also doesn't display anything at all on the right hand side (where you'd normally see the links for credits, dedication, etc.) I've likely deleted something I shouldn't have...just have to figure out what I've done!

GB

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 04:04
That'll be the <library> section, with the library section name as the next XML tag and then the <entries> section.

For example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="3.0">
<library>
<LibraryTest static="true">
<!--The name entry doesn't appear to be used in the left sidebar of the library -->
<name type="string">Library Test Header</name>
<categoryname type="string">Castles &amp; Crusades</categoryname>
<entries>
<a_dedication>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>referencetext</class>
<recordname>..</recordname>
</librarylink>
<name type="string">Dedication</name>
<text type="formattedtext">
<p>We offer this book as an ode to the years of fun in game and play and to the creative might and best of friendships bound within the very person of E. Gary Gygax, for whom none of what came before, nor any that must come after, would be possible.</p>
<p>Thank you Gary.</p>
</text>
</a_dedication>
</entries>
</LibraryTest>
</library>
</root>

Gives this:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15303

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 13:56
Thanks Trenloe!

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 14:21
Ok...getting an error when opening the module. "A XML parse error occurred processing file AdvancedCC:client.xml - Error on line 179: Error reading end tag."

Looking at line 179 shows the closing XML of the abilities section </abilities>..everything looks correct. Am I missing something?

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 14:25
OK...getting a XML parse error. The XML looks correct...I've attached a screenshot below. Am I missing something?

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 16:28
OK...getting a XML parse error. The XML looks correct...I've attached a screenshot below. Am I missing something?

Go back through all of the preceding tags - it usually means that you haven't closed a tag pair within the <abilities> section. In Notepad++ you can click on a tag and it will highlight the matching open/close tag in purple (as you can see in your screenshot). Go back through and click on the section tags within <abilities> and see which ones don't show a matching purple highlight.

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 16:32
OK..figured out the error. However, I can't get my secondary skills to be able to drag over to the character sheet...It's showing up as a link, which is OK..just need to figure out where to go from here. Progress!

GB

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 16:33
It was a </text> tag that I hadn't closed. Fixed now..thanks for that Trenloe!

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 17:09
OK! Got it sorted, though when I drag over the skill to the character sheet, the default attribute (dex) isn't brought over. It's just a couple of mouse clicks on the character sheet to set it correctly, though it'd be nice if it came across that way. Also, is there anyway to hard code in a modifier? For example, Secondary Skills in the CKG have a +1 to the roll (but no level mod). Anyway to add this?

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 17:24
For getting the data format right your best bet is to create a skill/ability within a PC in FG, save the campaign and look at the campaign database. For example:

<abilitylist>
<id-00001>
<addlevel type="number">1</addlevel>
<shortcut type="windowreference">
<class>ability</class>
<recordname></recordname>
</shortcut>
<siege type="number">0</siege>
<siegemodifier type="number">0</siegemodifier>
<value type="string">Test Skill</value>
</id-00001>
</abilitylist>

This shows that the attribute needs to be dexterity not just dex.

Also, you can control the other options you want for secondary skills with <addlevel> and <siegemodifier>.

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 17:50
Trenloe,

Again, thanks for your assistance in this! Is there a place where <addlevel> and <siigemodifier> are discussed, documentation wise? Not sure if I add the +1 to level, or to siegemodifier.

GB

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 17:52
Is there a place where <addlevel> and <siigemodifier> are discussed, documentation wise? Not sure if I add the +1 to level, or to siegemodifier.
I don't think there's any documentation on this.

As I mentioned above - set it up how you want it to look in FG itself, then save the campaign and look at the record in the campaign db.xml file. This is by far the best way to work out the format of FG data.

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 18:01
OK...playing around with this based on the code you provided. Thanks! I was able to get it to pull across with the inherit +1 bonus, and the correct skill (Dexterity). When rolling, however, it is only adding the bonus from dexterity, and not the +1 that was brought over.

GB

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 18:08
When rolling, however, it is only adding the bonus from dexterity, and not the +1 that was brought over.
How was this "brought over"? In which field? <siegemodifier> should be a one-off modifier to the skill/ability.

If that doesn't work please provide a screenshot. Also post the XML you are using for the ability/skill.

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 18:17
When bringing over the skill from the mod to the character sheet.

<abilities>
<acrobatics>
<addlevel type ="number">1</addlevel>
<shortcut type="windowreference">
<class>ability</class>
<recordname></recordname>
</shortcut>
<seigemodifier type="number">2</seigemodifier>
<value type="string">Acrobatics</value>
<description type="string">This skill allows a character to double their attribute bonus when evading attacks or making any attribute checks or saving throws regarding dexterity. Acrobatics may also be used if a character has been thrown back and wishes to land on their feet (successful acrobatics check). If this check is successful then the character does not lose a combat round in order to return to the fight. The Castle Keeper will determine if the use of an acrobatics skill is possible in a given situation.</description>
</acrobatics>
</abilities>

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 18:21
Screenshot of the PC in FG?

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 18:24
You have <addlevel> set to 1, so this will add the PC level to the siege check.

You've also used <seigemodifier> = 2, which will add a one-off modifier of 2.

Assuming you're trying to accomplish "Secondary Skills in the CKG have a +1 to the roll (but no level mod)." then you'd set <addlevel> = 0 (no level mod) and <seigemodifier> = 1 (+1 to the roll).

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 18:26
It appears it's not adding the seigemodifier at all to the roll. In the screenshot, Mortimer has a Dexterity of 15, for a +1 bonus. Looking at the Acrobatics skill, I see the +1 reflected there in the gold box. What I don't see added is the +2 Siege Modifier, which should add to the roll as well, correct?

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 18:30
Use this:

<acrobatics>
<value type="string">Acrobatics</value>
<description type="string">This skill allows a character to double their attribute bonus when evading attacks or making any attribute checks or saving throws regarding dexterity. Acrobatics may also be used if a character has been thrown back and wishes to land on their feet (successful acrobatics check). If this check is successful then the character does not lose a combat round in order to return to the fight. The Castle Keeper will determine if the use of an acrobatics skill is possible in a given situation.</description>
<siegemodifier type="number">1</siegemodifier>
<addlevel type="number">0</addlevel>
</acrobatics>
You don't need the <shortcut> as this is created once the entry is in the PC record.

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 18:32
Correct. I tried that, and it didn't add it to the roll. I set Morty's Dex to 0, made sure that the Siegemodifier was 1, and then added the skill to Morty. You can see in the gold window the 0 to the roll, reflecting his Dexterity bonus of 0. When I rolled, it didn't add the +1 Siegemodifier.

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 18:37
That did it. What was wrong that it wasn't parsing it correctly? Again, much thanks for the assistance in getting this set up.

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 20:56
OK..new problem. Can't get the advantages to show up. Here's the code snippet for the dwarven Expert Miner advantage:

<h>Dwarven Heritage Advantages</h>
<link class="referencetextwide" recordname="reference.abilities.dwarf_expertminer">Expert Miner</link>
<link class="referencetextwide" recordname="reference.abilities.dwarf_giantfighter">Giant Fighter</link>
<link class="referencetextwide" recordname="reference.abilities.dwarf_goblinslayer">Goblin Slayer</link>
<link class="referencetextwide" recordname="reference.abilities.dwarf_stalwartcourage">Stalwart Courage</link>
<link class="referencetextwide" recordname="reference.abilities.dwarf_tunnelvision">Tunnel Vision</link>

This is the relevant ability:

<dwarf_expertminer>
<value type="string">Expert Miner</value>
<description type="string">Some dwarves are exceptionally gifted or experienced miners. They have an advantage when reading the secrets hidden within the stone./nBenefit:/nDwarves who take this advantage gain an additional +2 to wisdom checks for stonecraft.</description>
</dwarf_expertminer>
</abilities>
</reference>

Thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 21:06
The reference entry: reference.abilities.dwarf_expertminer needs to have the module name on the end. e.g. reference.abilities.dwarf_expertminer@MyCandCModul e

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 21:40
Still no joy. However, if I change <link class="referencetextwide" to link class="ability", shows up, albeit with an ability box:

I was reading the module making guide by SoulOfTheReaver..it lists a feat class. Would that work here?

Trenloe
September 13th, 2016, 22:09
Feats aren't really relevant in C&C (i.e. the 3.5E/PF abilities called "feats"), and so aren't a valid window/datatype.

If you want to drag anything to the "Abilities" tab of the character sheet then it has to be of class = "ability", it won't accept anything else.

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 22:38
Trenloe,

Much thanks! Was able to get it sorted...now for bulk data entry of advantages!

GB

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 22:53
I'm assuming that when specifying the "link class='ability', that you cannot used formatted text in the description type? IE I can't bold, underline, or otherwise do any sort of formatting on these entries?

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 23:05
I can however, use /n. Think I may have it figured out..maybe :)

GunbunnyFuFu
September 13th, 2016, 23:20
Besides /n for newline, are there any other codes that will work for formatting?

dr_venture
September 20th, 2016, 04:47
*pokes head out of the Fog of the Real World, and speaks*

FWIW, I wound up just creating a character called "DO NOT DELETE" and entered all of the character class draggables in that character. Then I saved the character to an XML file just to be safe. In the short term I just dragged whatever I needed from the DO NOT DELETE character to other new characters as they were being generated. Eventually I created a module for them, and was able to copy over the XML from the character data to the module data with minimal putzing about with the XML.

*Crawls reluctantly back into the Fog...*

damned
September 20th, 2016, 13:04
I was just reading thru some old posts of yours Doc! Stop being so beholden to real life and come tinker some more.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig4.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

JohnD
September 20th, 2016, 15:13
I was just reading thru some old posts of yours Doc! Stop being so beholden to real life and come tinker some more.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/fgcon9-sig4.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 9 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - October 14-16 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Amen to that!

GunbunnyFuFu
September 21st, 2016, 00:29
I'm 90% of the way done with entering Advantages, and secondary skills have been done, complete with skill bonuses, etc. Thanks for your help everyone!

GB

GunbunnyFuFu
October 11th, 2016, 01:44
OK...I am completely done! I've given the mod file to a friend to try out, as it works on my machine, but doesn't work on his at all. Thoughts on why he can't see it, even when going into the Data Module Activation area?

GB

damned
October 11th, 2016, 03:10
You havent put it in the right folder?
You zipped it up wrong?
You renamed it wrong?

GunbunnyFuFu
October 11th, 2016, 16:19
I pulled it to another machine and examined it. Doesn't show. It is in the Modules folder, zipped with Windows compression utility, and named Castles and Crusades Advantages.mod. I shared it via Dropbox, as well as email with no change.

GB

Zacchaeus
October 11th, 2016, 17:55
If it isn't showing up it's usually because the module hasn't been stated as for that particular ruleset or it has been zipped up wrong. Make sure that you definition file shows the correct ruleset and that when you unzip what you zipped it is what should be there.

GunbunnyFuFu
October 11th, 2016, 19:02
Figured it out...I evidently had a the files in a folder, and had just zipped the folder...when I fixed that error, it works fine. Oi...It must be Monday!

Thanks for the input all!