PDA

View Full Version : Save not working

Dragontail
September 11th, 2016, 17:01
I am creating a monster for the pc's to fight however it is not rolling the saves....I dragged and droped the spell onto the monsters spell lists however in the combat tracker it is coming up

Burning hands [SAVEVS: dexterity (H)][DMG:3d6 fire]

how do i get it (without typing it every single time i drop this guy into the combat tracker) to have its save set?
Monster im using btw is a skeleton

JohnD
September 11th, 2016, 17:36
I think you need to add in the spell caster trait - something like the Mage will show you the template.

Dragontail
September 11th, 2016, 17:44
under traits i added ...
The Skeleton Mage is a level 3 spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is intelligence (spell save DC 11)

Dragontail
September 11th, 2016, 17:53
even when i grab...say a lich and copy his whole trait and drop it into my mob, deleting the spells he doesnt change, it to a level 3 caster (instead of 18) and changing the base save from 20 to 11. It stays at target of 20...i dont mind giving the pc's a challenge but thats a bit harsh ;)

Trenloe
September 11th, 2016, 18:11
Use the same format for spellcasting that you see in the Lich entry - include the spells names and levels within the "Spellcasting" trait. FG will parse out the spell names into spell entries when the NPC is added to the combat tracker.

For example:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15281

Your best examples on how to do things are to look at already created NPCs and replicate those exactly the same way - you kinds started that by looking at the Lich, but didn't replicate exactly how that was setup. So close! :)

Dragontail
September 11th, 2016, 22:19
Typed it out word for word still givng same thing a Zero every time i roll (no number between Dexterity and the H)

Trenloe
September 11th, 2016, 22:24
Please provide a screenshot of how you have the trait setup and how the NPC is shown in the CT - essentially the same view I provided above.

Also, are you add adding this trait to the NPC before you add it to the combat tracker? FG only constructs the spell entries and effects when the NPC is first added to the the combat tracker.

Dragontail
September 11th, 2016, 22:30
Ok here it is

Trenloe
September 11th, 2016, 22:39
Try a space between DC and 11. i.e. "DC 11" not "DC11"

Dragontail
September 11th, 2016, 22:47
Space inputed same effect no save

Dragontail
September 11th, 2016, 22:48
I also upgraded his stats to be 10 int wis and cha and still no effect :(

Zacchaeus
September 12th, 2016, 00:19
How is the Mage getting the spell? Are you dragging it in?
Also once you have filled in the stat block are you closing your NPC and then reopening it before putting it on the CT?

Dragontail
September 12th, 2016, 01:42
orginally i dragged spell from PHB...however after seeing how the lich was done i deleted it all and copy it from lich to him. then deleted all the spells except for one.

Yes i am locking the stat block closing it and then dragging it from npc list into combat tracker

Octavious
September 12th, 2016, 02:43
hey ! ,
ok I duplicated what you are trying to do.. I got a skeleton from my monster manual, I then drug the burning hands spell into the npc spell section slot.. it give 0 on the save and here is why and what you have to do. The syntax is not right on the spell add " DC 11" (or what ever dc you want ) before the "Dexterity" text and it works fine see attached .. I just tested it and it does work.

Trenloe
September 12th, 2016, 05:12
You shouldn't have to drag individual spells in if they are listed in the "Spellcasting" trait. Having to manually edit each spell is a potential work around (assuming it works OK for Dragontail), but isn't ideal especially for a caster with lots of spells.

@Dragontail: Can you try doing the spellcasting trait entry in a brand new 5E campaign with no extensions enabled? Use the following text:

Goblin is a 3rd-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 11, +12 to hit with spell attacks). The goblin has the following wizard spells prepared:
1st level (4 slots): burning hands

Zacchaeus
September 12th, 2016, 09:07
Wait I see your problem. you are expecting an edit to work. Here's what you do:
1 Create a new NPC and give it the Spellcasting block as Trenloe notes above.
2 Close the NPC - do not give it spells
3 open it again and the spells you gave it will have populated.
4 drag to CT and note correct saving throw.

If you take an existing Spellcasting NPC and edit the Spellcasting block then before it can be used you must delete all the spells on it, close it and then reopen it so that the spells repopulate.
what I think you are doing above is assuming that if you change the spell DC or Ability score that this will affect existing spells. But it won't. All that magic only works once - the first time a character with a Spellcasting block is opened or placed on the CT.

ddavison
September 12th, 2016, 14:17
Zacchaeus is correct.

To get it to re-parse all the spells from the Spellcasting or Innate Spellcasting traits, you have to remove all the spells again and then close and re-open the NPC. You can edit it after the fact.

Dragontail
September 12th, 2016, 17:52
k ill give that a shot