PDA

View Full Version : Creating a continual damage effect (5e)

Galach
September 11th, 2016, 04:58
Well… today my players received some Alchemist’s Fire vials, and since last week I had taught them how to create a healing potion and a second wind effect, they promptly asked me how to do the same with those burning treasures.

That would be simple if the item dispensed a single time damage, but since the target catch on fire on hit, and continues to take 1d4 per round until it is successful on a DC 10 DEX Save, I wish to know if it is possible to implement that on FG.

I searched the manual, wiki and forums, made some tests, but wasn’t able to make it work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

LordEntrails
September 11th, 2016, 06:14
I don't know about the dex save part, though I think it can be done. The ongoing damage is easy, it's just "DMG0: 1d4 fire" (with that being a zero following the dmg letters).

Reading the effects wiki, https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects you might be able to do something like;
SAVE: DEX; DMG0: 1D4 fire

But... I'm not sure and haven't tried it.

Trenloe
September 11th, 2016, 06:23
It's DMGO ("oh" for ongoing damage, not zero). Use DMGO: 1d4 fire

I don't think you can trigger the rolling of a save through effects, it needs to be through an action. So you'll need to handle the save manually or via an action.

LordEntrails
September 11th, 2016, 06:32
It's DMGO ("oh" for ongoing damage, not zero). ....
Oops, I stand corrected :O

Zacchaeus
September 11th, 2016, 11:55
Indeed, as Trenloe says create an action with a ranged attack for the initial hit. Add in an effect DMGO:1d4 for the continuing damage and add another line to handle the saving throw.

Galach
September 11th, 2016, 14:34
Hey guys, you are awesome!

Thanks a lot for that. I had looked on the effects list, but never really occurred to me how to put it to work.

Thank you very much!

:)

Gwydion
September 11th, 2016, 18:22
It's DMGO ("oh" for ongoing damage, not zero). Use DMGO: 1d4 fire

I don't think you can trigger the rolling of a save through effects, it needs to be through an action. So you'll need to handle the save manually or via an action.

Man! I learn something new here every day! Very cool.