PDA

View Full Version : The Mask effect isn't completely hiding the map from Players for me

Paperclipkiller
September 10th, 2016, 06:23
This is an issue I ran into last night with the campaign I am running. It only appears to happen with really large maps. The map that was having the issues in particular was actually the Whorlstone tunnel map made by our very own Zacchaeus! So it can be easy to test since the maps are here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26028-Zacchaeus-Out-of-the-Abyss-Map-mod I also have an example of this attached.It's kinda hard to see the details on the right side but it varies depending on how zoomed in or out you are. It's just enough that it is an issue I think. Sometimes its very detailed though, usually just to the amount you can see currently. I do have a grid made as well, but I don't know if that is doing it. I can attempt to get a better example if people can't see it. I only knew of this after one of my players mentioned it to me when I shared it with them. Bless them for agreeing to just stay zoomed in the entire time so they can't see the outlines. You can only see the outlines when you are zoomed out very far, when you are close you can't see it. I don't know if this is a proper place to post this or not, I was looking for a place to report FG bugs and couldn't find any. Maybe it has to deal with how the Mask effect is currently pixel based?

damned
September 10th, 2016, 07:52
I cant see it in the images that you posted?
There are some glitches at certain resolutions or with certain colours.
There is a Black Mask extension you could try and see if it works better for your group for this map.

Paperclipkiller
September 10th, 2016, 08:48
Here's a better image to show it. I slightly zoomed in on the GM side and on the player side about the same amount and about the same spot so they should line up roughly if you look back and forth. I can outline it if you'd like. it is a HUGE image, sitting at 3300 x 4750 so that may have something to do with it. I just attempted the black mask extension and it is still visible. I moved around on the map and found a better possible example. You can see the N for North in the 3rd picture, and details around it as well. Because it is such a big image, it might be that like you said with the glitches at certain resolutions. If I zoom in a bit, it will turn into a complete mask and isn't transparent at all.

damned
September 10th, 2016, 10:34
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25950-Fog-of-War-**BROKEN**

particularly this post:

I think I figured out the problem:

The grid is dynamic. Meaning that it has a dark color on light backgrounds and a light color on dark backgrounds. So what the players are seeing is not the map, but the differences in the color of the grid lines as they pass over dark or light patches.

Is there a way to turn that off or make the grid a fixed color?

There is no fix to this.

Zacchaeus
September 10th, 2016, 10:34
Hmm, Yes I can just see the outlines in the grey one. What sort of resolution is the map being displayed at. Considering the size of the map I'm assuming this is on a gigantic screen?

Paperclipkiller
September 11th, 2016, 04:01
I'm not sure what you mean by the resolution the map is being displayed at. Do you mean size of the square on the screen? It isn't the full size of 3300 x 4750, although the image itself is that size. Most of my players use a 1080P screen, so the image is in a box within the screen. If I zoom out when it is in a 1920 x 1080 box you can see the map because of the grid. If I take away the grid, players cant see the map. If you set the map at it's proper resolution though it stays hidden with the grid in place. So it seems to be a problem with a huge image being scrunched down.

So basically in a 3300 x 4750 window showing the entire map it stays hidden with a grid.

In a 1920 x 1080 window showing the entire map using the 3300 x 4750 image you can see the map when the grid is in place, but not when the grid is removed.

I hope what I said makes sense, even just reading it after typing it I can see how it may sound confusing.

damned
September 11th, 2016, 04:16
As per post #4 above the players are not actually seeing the map. They are seeing the changes in the grid colouring. The grid colour changes based on the colour of the image it overlays. Unfortunately there are times when this can lead to a partial representation of the map below. Without making the grid a uniform colour there is no way to avoid this. Making the grid a uniform colour means it would be unclear or invisible on some maps.

Paperclipkiller
September 11th, 2016, 05:48
Oh I know what you mean now! The grid changes color based on what pixel it is over! I don't know why I didn't realize that when I read it earlier. This would be the feature to vote for in regards to the issue I am experiencing right? Since being able to set a custom color would fix this I presume. https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40917

Is the "Mask effect" considered an image at all by the Fantasy Grounds program? Would it be possible to have the grid base itself off the image and the mask? That way when the grid is over the mask effect it just uses the color of the mask (so grey typically unless you use the black mask extension)? I don't know how coding works and if that would even be possible with this version of Fantasy Grounds or a future version.

damned
September 11th, 2016, 06:13
Oh I know what you mean now! The grid changes color based on what pixel it is over! I don't know why I didn't realize that when I read it earlier. This would be the feature to vote for in regards to the issue I am experiencing right? Since being able to set a custom color would fix this I presume. https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40917

Is the "Mask effect" considered an image at all by the Fantasy Grounds program? Would it be possible to have the grid base itself off the image and the mask? That way when the grid is over the mask effect it just uses the color of the mask (so grey typically unless you use the black mask extension)? I don't know how coding works and if that would even be possible with this version of Fantasy Grounds or a future version.

Vote on it on that link you have found. Then you could possibly use say a red grid where you have light and dark areas rather than a light or dark grid.
The grid is based on the base image colours not on the mask colours.

Paperclipkiller
September 11th, 2016, 06:16
Alright will do! Thanks for the help in figuring out why they were seeing things they shouldn't of!