PDA

View Full Version : Treasure Guidelines

Bravo228
September 9th, 2016, 17:08
I am just curious on what would be a good guide line on what amount of treasure I should be giving out after each encounter. Also, curious what the GM's think is a fair amount of treasure for each level.

Greylorn
September 17th, 2016, 12:29
I hate the 'it depends' answer, so I am using a variation of it...what do you want the feel of your campaign to be?

if you want characters who are always hungry and need to be looking for that next horde to be able to feed and cloth (not to mention arm and armor) themselves, keep the treasure fairly low. Enough that they can get that next piece of equipment they want, or perhaps that magical item (or herb, or spell) that they have been wanting...again all depending on your campaign. Making that alignment of needs and wants of the party with what they find, I think makes the campaign enjoyable since the players can meet their goals, without creating the problem of "what do i do with all of this gold". That situation can quickly break a campaign, unless you can figure out a way to quickly drain off the excess gold (corrupt nobility makes for a fine way to do this if no other options present themselves).

Treasure can also make for a neat side adventure hook as well. Finding a sword, or piece of artwork, or jewelry with a noble families name on it and have the party find the family to return their heirloom gives a side adventure and create a new ally for the party which could lead to either further adventures, or give the party a means gain some resources. I had one campaign I ran with this type of storyline and ended up with the noble allowing the characters to stay at his 'summer home' which happened to be near an Ogre clan, which lead to further adventures in the mountains near the house.

In an attempt to move away from my non-answer, you can try this formula type approach:

How much are daily 'down time' expenses (food and lodging, equipment repair, etc.) X How many days between adventures (for healing and training or waiting for equipment to be made or repaired)
+ Desired purchases by party members (new equipment, training, spells, etc.)
= Treasure placed

This way the characters are running out of resources and need to head off on their next foray into your carefully and craftily designed adventure because otherwise they are hungry and homeless (albeit well equipped).

Hope that helps.

JohnD
September 18th, 2016, 18:27
Good advice from Greylorn here.