PDA

View Full Version : FG Distance Measured Between Targets

A'egis Ward
September 9th, 2016, 16:29
When the grid is ON and I place tokens Large size and greater tokens center themselves on a square or hex. I'm not able to place them on a square or hex intersection the way the PHB and DMG explains Large(r) sized creatures should be placed on a grid. Because of this the distance to target tracker calculates the distance from a Medium sized creature to the larger creature by counting to its central square/hex, and not to it's outermost square/hex. This makes the distances render inaccurate, and it has become frustrating to my players. Especially when they stand adjacent to a Large target on the diagonal and FG states the distance to target is 10' instead of 5'. I have the Variant for diagonal distance turned ON, but even when I turn it off the issue is not corrected. It would seem that I need to find a way for Large+ creatures to be placed appropriately on the square/hex intersection rather than their central point being locked to a single square/hex.

Can anyone offer information on how to correct this issue? I've searched the forums and other sites for an answer, as well as the wiki and User Manual, but I can't find anything to help.

Thanks in advance!!

Trenloe
September 9th, 2016, 16:40
You should be able to put the large creatures on an intersection. How large (pixels) is the grid you're setting? If the grid is quite small (20-ish pixels) then you might have to be very careful in aligning the token with the intersection. When adding/repositioning the token: position the mouse pointer (hand) over the grid intersection and then drop the token and it should align to the intersection. Zoom in a little with the mouse-wheel might make it a bit easier to positon the token accurately.

I've just done a quick test:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15244

A'egis Ward
September 9th, 2016, 16:47
Do you have "snap to grid" on or off? You're right, it could be a pixel size issue. But when I've tried dropping and resizing the Large token FG lets me drop it on an intersection but then snaps it centrally to a square/hex the moment I move it. The same thing happens when I drop a token from the CT onto the map and it sizes it automatically. I'm not sure if it's a setting or just the pixel size as you stated, but FG wants to force the token's center into a central square/hex no matter what I do. I'll work on the pixel size and see if that makes a difference and let you know. Thanks for the help.

Zacchaeus
September 9th, 2016, 16:50
Like this?

Trenloe
September 9th, 2016, 17:04
So, doing some more testing - hex grids will only snap to the centre, square grids should allow you to snap to vertices as well as the centre.

A'egis Ward
September 9th, 2016, 17:05
Yes, but for me FG forces the Large token to center on the square and occupy 25%(ish) of the surrounding squares. For a Huge monster it occupies a central square and the squares around that square. So when the distance is calculated from a medium token that is adjacent, it states that the creature is 10' away b/c it's counting the outside square also when it counts to the center square. The Reach for the creatures is rending correctly, just not the distance to the target.

A'egis Ward
September 9th, 2016, 17:07
So, doing some more testing - hex grids will only snap to the centre, square grids should allow you to snap to vertices as well as the centre.

Trenloe, if you have a Huge token that's on a square grid, what distance is calculated from an adjacent Medium sized token if the Medium token is on the diagonal and not on one of the sides?

Trenloe
September 9th, 2016, 17:14
Yes, but for me FG forces the Large token to center on the square and occupy 25%(ish) of the surrounding squares.
Yep, we completely understand the issue you're having - I've just clarifying that snapping to vertices *should* only work with square grids. There should be 9 snap points on a square grid: the centre, each vertex and half way along each side.

1) Are you running any extensions? If so, try a brand new campaign and see if you have the same issue.
2) As mentioned above, try with a large grid size.
3) After "picking up" a token, and not releasing the left mouse button, slowly drag it around (I find dragging it along one line to be a good visual indication) - do you see the shadow behind jumping to the vertices or just the centre? You may need to zoom in the image to see things clearly.
4) Lock the tokens (right-click on a token and select "Lock tokens") then as the GM hold the CTRL key and start to drag a token to indicate it's move - can you select vertices for the movement?

Trenloe
September 9th, 2016, 17:19
For a Huge monster it occupies a central square and the squares around that square. So when the distance is calculated from a medium token that is adjacent, it states that the creature is 10' away b/c it's counting the outside square also when it counts to the center square. The Reach for the creatures is rending correctly, just not the distance to the target.
OK, that's a different issue.

A'egis Ward
September 9th, 2016, 18:34
OK, so I was able to get the Large tokens to snap to the vertices. The Huge tokens don't need to, obviously. However, the distance to target is still inaccurate. Instead of counting from the first square adjacent to the Medium token to the first occupied square of the Large or Huge token (as the PHB states to count distance), FG is counting to a different destination. It seems to be counting from the center of a token to the center of the target token and taking into account the fractional distance of the central square from its edge to the center, as well as counting the target token's occupied squares around the central square/vertices.

Trenloe
September 9th, 2016, 18:57
However, the distance to target is still inaccurate.
Yep, this is an issue. Please log in the House of Healing forum so the devs can take a look.

A'egis Ward
September 9th, 2016, 18:58
Yep, this is an issue. Please log in the House of Healing forum so the devs can take a look.

Will do, thanks for the help, Trenloe.

Zacchaeus
September 9th, 2016, 19:02
I must be missing something here but if a medium (or any other size token for that matter) is adjacent to another token doesn't that mean that it is within 5' of it; irrespective of whether FG is telling us that it's not when we drag a line? And isn't that accurate enough for determining reach (which I presume is the problem here).

Trenloe
September 9th, 2016, 19:07
I must be missing something here but if a medium (or any other size token for that matter) is adjacent to another token doesn't that mean that it is within 5' of it; irrespective of whether FG is telling us that it's not when we drag a line? And isn't that accurate enough for determining reach (which I presume is the problem here).
This is just an example of how the range calculations are not correct for creatures larger than medium. Yes, for creatures adjacent to other creatures we (us humans) know that the range is 5 feet, but FG is reporting it inaccurately as sometimes 10 feet. It's an issue and the devs need to be aware of it.