PDA

View Full Version : Lost Mines of Phandelver for Dummies (Tues. 8pm EST)

Gannon
September 9th, 2016, 04:41
FG License: Ultimate
Game System: D&D 5e

Time Zone: EST
Day of week and time: Tuesday
If new game, planned start date: Sept. 13th
Planned Frequency: Weekly
Term: LMoP Campaign

Text or Voice: Voice + Text
Voice software used: Discord

Roleplay & Combat mix: 20/80 - Light on the RP. (think: Acquisitions Inc.)
Number of Players in game & needed: Have 1. Looking for 3-5 more.
Character starting level & equipment: 1 - Adventurer's League qualifying character
Character restrictions: Adventurer's League legal.

Details of your scenario: We will be running through LMoP. This is my first time DMing a real group with FG and my first time running this campaign. It is more of a learning experience for everyone involved so noobies are welcome and preferred.

Additionally, we may begin play testing a new RPG based on The Dark Tower by Stephen King, so if you are a Dark Tower fan this might be the group for you. But for now, just LMoP :)

Link to Gamecalendar page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2178

The Incredible
September 9th, 2016, 05:33
Definitely interested in playing. I wouldn't say I'm a newbie, but I enjoy helping people learn the system and the game. I would most likely play a cleric but am versatile in any role.

Vodkard
September 10th, 2016, 05:26
I'd love to join. I'm new to FG, but have been doing a lot of homework on it. I'd love to bring my Halfling Bard aptly named Vodkard Rockhard. I've got a full license and complete core class pack. I've been watching so many vids and playing with the program, I'm just itching to finally get into a good game. I used to play D&D during 2nd edition, 3.0, and 3.5. Loved it, but then I had to go to college and focus on a job. Now that I'm older, settled and secure, it's time to get my game on.

lacker
September 10th, 2016, 12:35
Hi. I'd like to play. I'm new to 5E and haven't played on FG in about 3 years.

I played in another person's FG (Pathfinder Society) for about 5 sessions. I run on Mac and it was a very challenging situation technically and in-game.

Technically I had to download and configure Wine which was not fun.Then the GMs server had multiple issues with connections where we spent 2 hours one night trying to get everyone connected.

In-Session I ended up with a group of impatient experienced FG people who were obviously frustrated that I didn't know my way around FG. The only reason I lasted 5 sessions was because I had to get my character through the module to keep playing it in PFS.

Needless to say that was a very bad FG experience for me and I never returned.

Now with D&D 5E and upgrades to FG (and FG for Mac On Steam), I'm hearing good things and willing to give it another try.

This group seems like a good re-entry and I am hopeful to learn both FG and 5E in a cooperative environment.

I will need a little hand-holding initially, but I am willing to do my part to learn the game and the FG environment.

Am I good fit for entry to this game?

Gannon
September 10th, 2016, 15:07
@Incredible - Welcome aboard! Half-orc war cleric sounds like an interesting addition :)

@Vodkard - We've got a human bard already and I would rather have a good diverse group of classes. We would rather have you than NOT have you though, so do you have another class preference?

@lacker - We will spend the first few sessions getting to know the software, the 5e system, and each other so it should be a problem. I want to make sure people understand the basics first (targeting, character creation, dice rollin') so that things run more smoothly as we progress on.

A few additional notes: No one will be in a hurry for the first couple sessions. We will probably spend most of the first game day making characters, laying ground rules, getting to know how everything works (hopefully not dealing with connection issues, but that is always a possibility).

So far we have the following classes:
Human Bard
Half-orc Cleric

I would love to add a sword and board and a magic user to that group (call me old fashion) but you can also figure out class day 1. I would prefer to not have two of the same class though (mainly to expose everyone to more).

Thanks again,
G

lacker
September 10th, 2016, 15:12
I'm more than happy to play a wizard.

The Incredible
September 10th, 2016, 15:37
@Incredible - Welcome aboard! Half-orc war cleric sounds like an interesting addition :)

Thank you! He's an interesting fellow for sure. Lives his life to fight oppression in all its forms. He has set out from the village that took him in, in order to free the common people from the bonds of tyranny. He can be a little hot headed, especially towards authoritative types...but nothing beyond simply giving them a hard time. He intends to use his carpentry skills to help the good common folk of any village he settles down in as a source of income or trade, and to help fortify homes and defenses against attack. I have a back story written for him if you like that sort of thing. Not real long but gives a good understanding of where he comes from, how he became what he is, and why he does what he's set out to do. Let me know and I can email it to you.

Abyz
September 10th, 2016, 16:45
I'd love to join!

REALLY REALLY interested in the Dark Tower part as well!

Wizard or fighter, whichever is more desired.

lacker
September 10th, 2016, 17:45
Okay. I was able to get my old lite version of FG working on my new Mac computer. Is there anything more I need to do or buy to be able to play in this game?

Vodkard
September 10th, 2016, 18:01
I can definitely play other classes. I rolled an Elven Cleric (But I see there's that class) and I rolled a Half-Elf Rogue. But to be honest, I've played many classes back in my hay-day and don't mind rolling just about anything.
I don't see a rogue yet, so I'd be happy to play that for variety.
Here's a description of my already rolled rogue:

Half-Elf Rogue: Jaicel Westwood had a troubled youth. Being a Half-Elf, he was never quite accepted by anyone. He was a street urchin who learned quickly how to hold his own against bullies. Jaicel always dreamt big though. He always felt the urge for excitement and adventure. When he was finally of drinking age, he met a group of sailors in a tavern. They introduced him to the captain, who all took a liking to his fiery spirit. The captain offered him a job as the mop boy, which he happily accepted. It did not take long during his maiden voyage for him to discover that his captain and crewmates were pirates. They were an honorable bunch though. The captain only stole from the wealthy and spent his money on the poor. During his stay with the pirates, Jaicel learned the arts of swordsmanship, thievery, and comradery. Jaicel’s captain taught him the pirate code of honor. One day, his captain and part of the crew were caught by the king’s guards and hanged for their crimes. He was not caught that day, thankfully. And so he found himself at the local tavern, drinking away his sorrow and looking for purpose as he overhears the patrons’ rumors.

Gannon
September 12th, 2016, 23:14
Still looking for 1 or 2 more for tomorrow night! Noobs welcome!

Emerald_wind
September 13th, 2016, 18:58
If you are still looking I'm interested

Gannon
September 13th, 2016, 19:41
Ok,we have a full group.

I've accepted everyone on calendar and everyone that requested a spot via pm or here has a spot.

Just to answer some common questions:
1. This will be a pretty casual game, if you have to afk for awhile its no problem, I can take over your character for a couple minutes or we will figure something out. Real life takes precedence. Also, it isnt a big deal if you have to miss a week just try to let me know so we dont waste 10 minutes waiting for you to show up.

2. First session will consist of the following: introductions, rolling characters, and jumping into the adventure. There is a nice little side quest that lends itself nicely to learning the ropes and how to use fantasy grounds. Hopefully, we will make it through that part and get a good 2 hours of playing in. (We will play for at least 3 hours with a 4 hour hard stop, unless we get full participation to continue)

3. I dont like to keep posting to the LFG forum posts because it gets confusing, so from now on please post on the discussion section of the game calendar game. Also, the game information and discord information will be posted there as soon as it is up and running (probably around 7pm).

This is my first FG DMing session so it will be a learning experience for me so please bear with.

Thanks to everyone who signed up and I will see you tonight!

lacker
September 19th, 2016, 16:35
*bumped to discussion section*

@Gannon: For the future, how do you want us to handle character death? Should we have a character or two ready to go? And if so, at what level? What equipment and gold level?

1ifeblood
September 20th, 2016, 15:19
*bumped to discussion section*

@Gannon: For the future, how do you want us to handle character death? Should we have a character or two ready to go? And if so, at what level? What equipment and gold level?

Since these characters are so new, I don't think anyone will be so devastated to lose them. If one character dies, that player can decide what they want to play next with consideration to the role they were playing. If a fighter dies, maybe they want to be a barbarian or a paladin, a cleric might want to be a druid or a bard...but I don't think it's a bad idea for everyone to discuss what character they would want to play in the case of a TPK. Because in that regard, we could essentially change the roles we were previously in. So just to throw my name into the hat, I would most likely want to play a sorcerer or bard if we do have to remake the party.

Abyz
September 20th, 2016, 19:21
We ain't gawn die damnit! We are winners.

The Incredible
September 21st, 2016, 14:14
We ain't gawn die damnit! We are winners.

This +1

CHETE79
September 22nd, 2016, 02:06
Hello
I would like to join the game if there are free sites, I´m learning the rules of 5e D&D

thank you