PDA

View Full Version : Extension for pop up window placement

EJSandsrtrom
September 8th, 2016, 15:06
So like a lot of people I am using 2 monitors with the desktop stretched across them, which works fine until dual monitor support becomes a feature.

But my one hang up is that every new window that opens, be it a item description, character sheet, or what ever, pops up dead in the middle of the stretched desktop, which is in the area where the monitors split.

Would there be a way to build an extension that would allow an off set to the windows? It could be as simple as an option for right/left third of the screen, or as complex as letting me type in how many pixels I want it shifted.

The previously opened windows do seem to remember their resting place even after being closed, but then if I go back down to one screen (I use a laptop and Monitor), the windows I have moved are now buried on the side of the missing screen.

Thank you

Trenloe
September 8th, 2016, 15:48
I don't think writing an extension to do this is possible. The main hook hat gets executed when a window is opened is the onInit event. At this point the window hasn't been fully created and so things like setting the size or position aren't possible.

The best you might be able to do is add a right-click option to move to a default position, but that probably isn't quicker than manually moving the window.

I'd recommend you keep using making the overall FG app the same size on your desktop and then your previously opened Windows will locate in the right place where you left them. As you play more within your campaign you'll have more and more windows that you've previously placed where you want them and the need to move Windows will become less and less.

You could add a request to the FG wish list so the devs can consider this to be available within a future release of the product. https://fg2app.idea.informer.com

EJSandsrtrom
September 8th, 2016, 16:15
Ok, Thank you. I probably won't request it. There are other features that would be far better to have. Like dual screens.