PDA

View Full Version : ? Is there an extension or setting for token name size (or tooltip)?

patrich9
September 6th, 2016, 17:55
Hello,

I have searched several boards and really couldnt find anything. The issue our group is having is that when I am running a game and the party is in combat with several NPC monsters - especially when there are say "10 goblins" it is very difficult for me to differentiate between the current goblin in the combat tracker, and the tokens on the map.

I usually end up just clicking the eye "visibility" in the combat tracker so the goblin "blinks" on the map and I can find which one he is. I'm guessing there has got to be an easier way. (the only other option i found was to zoom in really close to the map where i can read the nameplates)

Is there an extension that either makes the name plates of the tokens bigger or maybe puts a highlighted graphical "aura" around the map token for the current active creature in the combat tracker? (an current-active-aura extension would be amazing)

thanks!:confused:

Trenloe
September 6th, 2016, 18:07
The nameplates size is zoomed based off the original size of the token and the sizing needed to fit the token within the FG grid (assuming you're using token sizing - default is 80% fit to grid). so there's not much that can be done in terms of resizing this text - other than releasing the token scale and maybe manually zooming the token larger, which kinda defeats the purpose of fitting them to a grid.

The option of briefly flashing the token using the eye icon is a good method. You can also double-click on the token in the combat tracker and the map will center on that token - but this will only be of use if the map is larger than the window displaying it, so a quick scroll in and then double-click on the token in the CT is a good process to center on the token you're interested in.

Zacchaeus
September 6th, 2016, 19:05
It sounds, to me, like you have the tokens scaled incorrectly if you have to zoom in that close to see the name. Right click on a token on your map and select 'release token scale'. Now select 'Lock token scale' and then delete the token from the map. Now replace it on the map and see if that makes a difference.

Someone was working on an extension which randomly assigned a name to each NPC if there were a lot of NPCs of the same type. However I haven't seen any development on it for some time so I'm not sure if it will ever get finished. Something like that might suit you. Instead of targeting Goblin 10 it would be named something like Smelly Toed Goblin or some such.

I agree, however, that it can be difficult at times and blinking the token is, I've found, the best method. Although be aware that this will break targeting if the NPC has been targeted or has targeted something.

damned
September 7th, 2016, 11:41
The extension works - its really quite neat.
I recommend that you dont change visibility on the token mid-combat because it removes any existing targeting links on that token. Use your scroll wheel to increase decrease the size briefly.
If you use a 50px grid use 50 or 64px tokens and the labels will be much clearer. If you use 200/256px tokens the label will be quite small.

Gwydion
September 7th, 2016, 14:22
The extension works - its really quite neat.
I recommend that you dont change visibility on the token mid-combat because it removes any existing targeting links on that token. Use your scroll wheel to increase decrease the size briefly.
If you use a 50px grid use 50 or 64px tokens and the labels will be much clearer. If you use 200/256px tokens the label will be quite small.

Damned,

So is there the re-naming extension available? I don't think I've seen it.

damned
September 7th, 2016, 14:33
Give this a go: https://github.com/Tideturner/npc-flavors
It applies to NPCs only.
It doesnt apply to NPCs where there is only one of that type of NPC.
When there is mpre than one of a particular type of NPC it will affect a random % of them and apply a range of different descriptors - some very amusing ones in there.
Dont tell your players when you load this one up... let them see it in action for themselves.

Gwydion
September 7th, 2016, 14:36
It applies to NPCs only.
When there is mpre than one of a particular type of NPC it will affect a random % of them and apply a range of different descriptors - some very amusing ones in there.
Dont tell your players when you load this one up... let them see it in action for themselves.

Ah man! Awesome! Can't wait to try it. Thx!

Gwydion
September 7th, 2016, 16:51
It applies to NPCs only.

Sorry, Damned I'm not very technical. I see script text when I go to the website, but don't see a .ext file. Is there an easy way for me to download and load this? If not, no problem. I know you've got a lot more things on your plate!

LordEntrails
September 7th, 2016, 19:42
Sorry, Damned I'm not very technical. I see script text when I go to the website, but don't see a .ext file. Is there an easy way for me to download and load this? If not, no problem. I know you've got a lot more things on your plate!
I see it no problem. But the direct link to the extension file is https://github.com/Tideturner/npc-flavors/blob/master/extension.xml

Gwydion
September 7th, 2016, 19:59
I see it no problem. But the direct link to the extension file is https://github.com/Tideturner/npc-flavors/blob/master/extension.xml

I'm just a technical idiot although I like to think I'm reasonably proficient. I thought I would find a file with a .ext extension so I could put in in my FG folder and open it. So, I'm not sure what to do with the page that opens and appears to be 19 lines of code. I'm waiting for the laughter from all the coders out there! :)

Trenloe
September 7th, 2016, 20:16
I'm waiting for the laughter from all the coders out there! :)
Nah, no laughter from those in the know. The code on that side is more a repository than an actual usable extension. Even those vaguely familiar with extensions might have struggled to get it working - I needed to package it up properly, add a <ruleset> tag, etc..

Attached is a workable file. Put it in your <FG app data>\extension directory and select it for a 5E campaign (it won't be visible to any other campaigns). The extension name is "5E Extension - NPC flavors".

Gwydion
September 7th, 2016, 20:41
Thanks, Trenloe. I completely missed the point of your previous post where you mentioned someone needed to package the extension up. I didn't intend to create more work from you. You do so much for this community and I am extremely grateful. I will put this to use right away so that it does get used! Thanks again.

damned
September 7th, 2016, 22:37
Sorry Gwydion there is a download as a zip file option on that link/site. Choose that and rename the .zip as .ext and place it in your \extensions folder which can be accessed fr the Explorer icon on the FG splash screen.

Trenloe
September 7th, 2016, 22:39
Sorry Gwydion there is a download as a zip file option on that link/site. Choose that and rename the .zip as .ext ...
That doesn't actually work, as it creates the data within the ZIP in a folder, so FG can't read the extension - the usual FG extension/module/ruleset gotcha. And, secondly, the extension.xml file doesn't have a <ruleset> tag, so FG won't display it.

Hence why I said above "Even those vaguely familiar with extensions might have struggled to get it working - I needed to package it up properly, add a <ruleset> tag".

Gwydion
September 7th, 2016, 22:40
Sorry Gwydion there is a download as a zip file option on that link/site. Choose that and rename the .zip as .ext and place it in your \extensions folder which can be accessed fr the Explorer icon on the FG splash screen.

Thanks, Damned and no worries! I'm just showing my technical ignorance. :o

Very much appreciate all the support!

damned
September 7th, 2016, 22:46
Of course Trenloe is correct here. I did the download last night and tested before posting the link but it turns out I already had an unpacked copy in my folder which is why I thought that just renaming it worked without me peeking inside. Use Trenloes link!

Gwydion
September 7th, 2016, 22:50
Of course Trenloe is correct here. I did the download last night and tested before posting the link but it turns out I already had an unpacked copy in my folder which is why I thought that just renaming it worked without me peeking inside. Use Trenloes link!

Yep, already downloaded his link. Just wanted you to know I appreciated the response!

Gwydion
September 8th, 2016, 13:33
Nah, no laughter from those in the know. The code on that side is more a repository than an actual usable extension. Even those vaguely familiar with extensions might have struggled to get it working - I needed to package it up properly, add a <ruleset> tag, etc..

Attached is a workable file. Put it in your <FG app data>\extension directory and select it for a 5E campaign (it won't be visible to any other campaigns). The extension name is "5E Extension - NPC flavors".

Hey, Trenloe. FYI, I did load it in the correct folder (with the rest of my extensions) and I see it in my files and when I launch a campaign I can select it. However, It doesn't seem to do anything when I load an encounter in the combat tracker (checking to make sure there are multiple enemies of the same type). I also notice when FG first launches and I see all the extensions loaded in the chat window, I don't see any description of the extension as I do with all the other extensions that load.

Also, it might be nothing, but the name of the extension when I download from your link is "npc-flavors-master.ext", not "5e Extension - NPC flavors". Is it possible the link is to the incorrect file? Thanks for working on this!

damned
September 8th, 2016, 14:16
Create an encounter and drag a Goblin in. Change it to 10 goblins and then use the arrow to load the encounter into the CT... :)

Whats with the spelling Trenloe?

Gwydion
September 8th, 2016, 14:53
Create an encounter and drag a Goblin in. Change it to 10 goblins and then use the arrow to load the encounter into the CT... :)

Ahhh.. Got it. I was just loading an encounter, making sure there were multiple of the same monsters (ie. 10 goblins) and then using the arrow to load into the CT. The piece I missed was having to clear out the encounter and re-drag in the monster and update the numbers. Thanks, damned! This will be a cool feature for when there are multiple monsters. Will be fun to use.

Trenloe
September 8th, 2016, 15:54
Simply the name of the files as they were downloaded from the website vs the FG name of the extension within the extension.xml file. I simply didn't change the file name to match the FG name, it's no biggie.

@Gwydion - the reason you don't see anything in the chat window is that the original developer didn't put anything in the extension code to display text in the chat window.