PDA

View Full Version : Connecting second computer at home to FG

Morfedel
September 6th, 2016, 14:39
I'm about to run a game (tonight!) and my wife is joining us, so I just installed the FG demo on the laptop since I have the ultimate license.

My server has been running all day, and other players have successfully connected. But the laptop isnt. I wasn't sure if this would be a problem with the laptop's settings, something to do with it being a demo, or it being on the same home network on our wireless router?

Since game time is tonight, any help would be appreciated! :)

LordEntrails
September 6th, 2016, 15:16
Nothing to do with it being a demo license, as that's all that's needed if yours is Ultimate.

What address or alias is she trying to use? Internal/External or Alias? Should be Internal (though the others should work too).

Check that you can ping your server/FG internal IP address from her computer. Though you might think your two computers are on the same network, they might not be, especially if you are plugged into your modem and she is connecting via a wireless router, or you are both connected to different wireless SSID's (like 2.4 or 5GHz or a guest network).

Check the network stuff and let us know and we can get back to you.

Morfedel
September 6th, 2016, 15:33
Nothing to do with it being a demo license, as that's all that's needed if yours is Ultimate.

What address or alias is she trying to use? Internal/External or Alias? Should be Internal (though the others should work too).

Check that you can ping your server/FG internal IP address from her computer. Though you might think your two computers are on the same network, they might not be, especially if you are plugged into your modem and she is connecting via a wireless router, or you are both connected to different wireless SSID's (like 2.4 or 5GHz or a guest network).

I just entered the alias that I gave everyone else to use. As for pinging my internal address with her computer, how do I do that? I know how to ping usually, but not sure how to do so when both are in the same house. I used to know more networking stuff, but i'm a little rusty now.

Morfedel
September 6th, 2016, 15:36

Hm, I thought I remember there being a check connection button or some such, but it's not there. Did I imagine it?

Trenloe
September 6th, 2016, 16:05
As your second computer is on the same network as the GM computer you don't need check connection (this is just to check for a valid connection to the GM PC from the Internet. Start up FG on the GM computer and on the "Load Campaign" screen note the "Internal" address in the top right hand corner. Start your GM campaign and then use this internal IP address to "Join Game" from the second computer. As it is a demo connecting to an Ultimate it will need Internet connectivity at this point in order to validate your Ultimate license.

LordEntrails
September 6th, 2016, 17:16
As Trenloe says, that's the process if you are both on the same network.

If that process doesn't work, start here;

I'm assuming Windows computers, if not, these steps won't work.
On the GM computer, launch FG, select "Load Campaign". Take note of the internal IP in the top right corner.
Go to your second computer, hit the Window command key (usually between ALT and CTRL), type "cmd" and then run the cmd.exe. On the DOS command window that opens, type "ping xx.xx.xx.xx" where the X's are the internal IP from the GM computer in FG.
You should get a result with "0% loss". If you do, then that's good. It means your two computers can talk to each other and if FG doesn't work, we've got another issue.

Let us know if that works.

If not, on the GM computer, pull up a cmd.exe window and type "ipconfig". It should give you a line like "IPv4 Address xx.xx.xx.xx" (there will be several of these) that has the IP address that matches the one FG sees.

Let us know if you get that.

Morfedel
September 6th, 2016, 19:03
As Trenloe says, that's the process if you are both on the same network.

If that process doesn't work, start here;

I'm assuming Windows computers, if not, these steps won't work.
On the GM computer, launch FG, select "Load Campaign". Take note of the internal IP in the top right corner.
Go to your second computer, hit the Window command key (usually between ALT and CTRL), type "cmd" and then run the cmd.exe. On the DOS command window that opens, type "ping xx.xx.xx.xx" where the X's are the internal IP from the GM computer in FG.
You should get a result with "0% loss". If you do, then that's good. It means your two computers can talk to each other and if FG doesn't work, we've got another issue.

Let us know if that works.

If not, on the GM computer, pull up a cmd.exe window and type "ipconfig". It should give you a line like "IPv4 Address xx.xx.xx.xx" (there will be several of these) that has the IP address that matches the one FG sees.

Let us know if you get that.

Ok, so connecting via the internal IP worked. Thanks for the help, guys!

damned
September 7th, 2016, 11:42
When connecting across the Internet use the Alias or External IP Address
When connecting using Hamachi use the GMs Hamachi IP which is not reported by FG
When connecting across a LAN use the Internal IP Address
When connecting a second instance on the GMs computer use the keyword localhost