PDA

View Full Version : Kickstarter - Mega dungeon 5e and 1e with FG stretch goal

Myrdin Potter
September 6th, 2016, 07:24
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/563681582/the-complete-roslof-keep-campaign/

This has been cleared by Smiteworks as in they have talked to the people behind it.

This group has quite a few successful Kickstarters behind them, the project is a compilation of existing modules, and they will do a FG add-on as a stretch goal if they hit $15K. Not sure if that includes 1e as well as 5e. Would be interesting to have both available.

Apolala
September 6th, 2016, 09:44
Kind of worried about the maps they do, 3d maps aren't very vtt friendly. But worth keeping an eye on this.

Seya
September 6th, 2016, 12:20
I backed it. Hopefully it's a fun time

Myrdin Potter
September 6th, 2016, 14:33
They do include 2D and 3D maps. The 2D maps are older style harkening back to the "blue" ones printed in the old TSR modules.

So you will have a map to put tokens on and a map that is more eye candy and able to be shown.

I do agree that 3D maps only make it much more difficult to run on a VTT. CoS suffers from that.

Zacchaeus
September 6th, 2016, 15:18
I do agree that 3D maps only make it much more difficult to run on a VTT. CoS suffers from that.

Only if you don't use Zacchaeus' awesome maps (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30561-Castle-Ravenloft-Battlemaps&p=263181#post263181) for COS.

Myrdin Potter
September 6th, 2016, 15:24
Exactly. If you use a third party product to give you 2D maps, then it is much better. 2D maps are a popular add-on because the 3D maps are nice to look at and hard to play with.

I bought CoS and like it but at least this Kickstarter includes 2D maps, even if not as awesome as ones you would make.

:-)

JohnD
September 6th, 2016, 19:05
No note how much this add-on will cost though.

Myrdin Potter
September 6th, 2016, 19:22
In the comments, after I asked, they said $15.

rob2e
September 6th, 2016, 19:43
I talked to Scott Taylor about helping him with FG. Seems he went to the source. Ah, oh well.

Edit: Seems I'm involved after all. :)

Myrdin Potter
September 6th, 2016, 22:25
I bet the Doug just checked to make sure he had someone doing the conversion because it was not him.

Gwydion
September 7th, 2016, 01:57
I just backed it as well. It's got to be good if Rob2e is doing the conversion!

rob2e
September 7th, 2016, 01:59
I just backed it as well. It's got to be good if Rob2e is doing the conversion!

The pressure!

Gwydion
September 7th, 2016, 02:02
I know you can handle it!

JohnD
September 7th, 2016, 03:23
I'd put my $ in as well but my wife takes it as a personal insult when I look like I'm enjoying myself.

Seya
September 7th, 2016, 03:29
I'd put my $ in as well but my wife takes it as a personal insult when I look like I'm enjoying myself.

Thanks for the great laugh

Myrdin Potter
September 16th, 2016, 14:44
This project is less than $100 now to hit the stretch goal to unlock the FG add on option. So should be turning on soon. No update on the price other than $15 add on.

Gwydion
September 16th, 2016, 14:58
This project is less than $100 now to hit the stretch goal to unlock the FG add on option. So should be turning on soon. No update on the price other than $15 add on.

Yes. I keep following it too. Looks like it will definitely get there!

JohnD
September 16th, 2016, 16:33
So to get in on the FG version, you at a minimum need to spend $40, which also gives you the PDF of the adventure.

One assumes that after publication/release, the PDF + FG versions will cost more than this when combined from different selling sources.

Has anyone seen the product in it's earlier form? Comments on quality? Is this a high powered environment or something else?

rob2e
September 17th, 2016, 23:15
I guess he's using it as an ADD ON instead of a true stretch goal, so it seems $40 is correct.

Myrdin Potter
September 17th, 2016, 23:20
Here is a top level review:

https://www.tenkarstavern.com/2016/09/kickstarter-complete-roslof-keep.html?m=1

I have seen other reviews and it is considered to be pretty good.

Myrdin Potter
September 19th, 2016, 05:41
Confirmed that it is a $15 add-on. I assume you need to make a PDF pledge and then add $15 if you want the fantasy grounds files. I am getting the hardcover so I added $15 to that.

jshauber
September 19th, 2016, 13:57
Confirmed that it is a $15 add-on. I assume you need to make a PDF pledge and then add $15 if you want the fantasy grounds files. I am getting the hardcover so I added $15 to that.

Doing the same!

Gwydion
September 19th, 2016, 14:03
Doing the same!

Yep. I just upped min $15 as well. Merry Xmas to me! (Fingers crossed December delivery....)

Myrdin Potter
December 31st, 2016, 20:56
And the FG mod squeaked in on Dec 31. Delivered via Dropbox. I hope it entially ends up on the store here and is linked to my account.

rob2e
December 31st, 2016, 21:59
As I understand it, the mod should be available through the store, and Kickstarter backers should just have it show up in their account, once Smiteworks populates the emails of the backers. I THINK that's how it works. I finished making the FG mod in October, but there is A LOT of "behind the curtain" stuff that happens. I am interested about the Dropbox thing, I didn't get any notification of that. Was it a Kickstarter update? As of this posting, I have received no such notice. Oh, and even though I developed the FG mod, I am also a backer.

Varsuuk
December 31st, 2016, 22:09
BAH... I hate how I KEEP reading necroed Kickstarter threads ;) (properly an update in this case lol but still... I always am :sad face:) hehe

I think I've jumped to check everything from Bard's Gate, some Darkenfold, Hexographer or whatever, and like 2-3 more - all I read updates and didn't notice so when go there, they are closed. I'm good with tie-ming like that :)

Let me know how it looks! Especially the FG part.

rob2e
December 31st, 2016, 22:24
BAH... I hate how I KEEP reading necroed Kickstarter threads ;) (properly an update in this case lol but still... I always am :sad face:) hehe

I think I've jumped to check everything from Bard's Gate, some Darkenfold, Hexographer or whatever, and like 2-3 more - all I read updates and didn't notice so when go there, they are closed. I'm good with tie-ming like that :)

Let me know how it looks! Especially the FG part.

This got double posted, but the pic below is better, also, I don't know how to DELETE a posting, if it's even possible.

Preview...

Zacchaeus
December 31st, 2016, 22:59
I deleted it for you as a special belated Christmas present ;)

rob2e
December 31st, 2016, 23:01
My belated Christmas present to you is that I will now edit the picture as you deleted the wrong one. Ha ha....

MODERATORS! Love 'em. They need it.

Myrdin Potter
December 31st, 2016, 23:41
I just got an email with a Dropbox link from the Kickstarter project creator (Scott) and downloaded the .mod file that way.

rob2e
December 31st, 2016, 23:42
I just got an email with a Dropbox link from the Kickstarter project creator (Scott) and downloaded the .mod file that way.

Did Scott email you directly, or did the email come from Kickstarter?

Gwydion
December 31st, 2016, 23:50
From Scott directly. I got one too.

Myrdin Potter
December 31st, 2016, 23:51
It came from Dropbox from a gmail account belonging to Scott. It is a no-reply Dropbox email.

I placed the .mod file into the right folder and it works.

rob2e
January 1st, 2017, 01:22
According to Scott Taylor, the FG implementation into the store is still "in process", so that's why he sent everyone the dropbox link, EXCEPT ME! Ha, I guess he figures the guy that made it doesn't need it. I felt a little empty place in my heart, though, since I backed the campaign and didn't get the "official email"

Ha!

Myrdin Potter
January 2nd, 2017, 02:06
He just started a KS for the next two Taux modules and I gave a push for FG support as an add-on ...

Trenloe
January 7th, 2017, 05:00
I've just taken the time to look at the FG module created for this Kickstarter. GMs - be aware that the maps and some images have not been optimised and are very large in size, so you may experience long share times and memory spikes when using the larger images. Hopefully this will be addressed at some point, the module dev is now aware of it.

Nylanfs
January 7th, 2017, 13:49
So maps for something called Mega dungeon are large? :)

Myrdin Potter
January 8th, 2017, 18:04
The Kickstarter for the city near the mega dungeon has just over 3 days to go. Scott has delivered quite well for his kickstarters so far.

The Folio #12 & #13 Taux Trilogy Completion https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/563681582/the-folio-12-and-13-taux-trilogy-completion

It funded and no sign of FG conversion for this series (at least yet)

Myrdin Potter
February 9th, 2017, 08:29
I have noted some clean-up needed for the module (I have been DMing a weekly session).

Delving Orc monster - image link in notes section gives a gray image, no picture
Sly Six - no pre-built encounter

Room 9 image - should be room 8 image

ROS 1 players map - shows a pit trap

Myrdin Potter
March 13th, 2017, 16:39
My group has cleared level 1 and is delving into level 2.

As a general rule, the magic items are directly from an AD&D level with no changes for 5e (which is not rob2e's responsibility in my opinion). So are wildly inappropriate for the level the characters will get them in 5e and need to be adjusted before your players get their hands on them. +3 armor, wand of fireballs with 20 charges that recharges, etc. So if you are running it in 5e, be prepared to cut down the magic items so they work with the bonuses expected in 5e.

rob2e
March 13th, 2017, 18:43
My group has cleared level 1 and is delving into level 2.

As a general rule, the magic items are directly from an AD&D level with no changes for 5e (which is not rob2e's responsibility in my opinion). So are wildly inappropriate for the level the characters will get them in 5e and need to be adjusted before your players get their hands on them. +3 armor, wand of fireballs with 20 charges that recharges, etc. So if you are running it in 5e, be prepared to cut down the magic items so they work with the bonuses expected in 5e.

I didn't see (for some reason) post #38 from 2/9/17. I could clean up those changes. The problem will be I don't have a list of backers (so I know who to distribute it to). Here's why...

For those of you that don't know the story on this adventure development -

I was commissioned by Scott Taylor to convert the adventure to FG. We did not follow proper procedure with Smiteworks (I was a noob and didn't understand until Doug cast a spell on me to cure my confusion). As anyone knows (now) there are specific procedures for Kickstarter projects in conjunction with Smiteworks. Namely, the author must contact Smiteworks regarding the development, and the developer (ME in this case) should DOUBLE CHECK whether that's been properly executed. In the case of "The Complete Roslof Campaign", Smiteworks ended up being left out. I wasn't privy to any conversations or copied emails, but it's easy to say things were not properly handled (I include myself as part of that for not being diligent and just trusting everything was fine).

Scott eventually decided to just distribute the FG .MOD file himself rather than complete the process for going through the Smiteworks store. So when I sent him the product, he distributed it. I never received any feedback about errors until now (here in this thread). As a matter of fact, I never received any feedback of any kind. I offered (and still offer) to maintain error correction, but again, all I can do is send him the file and hope he redistributes. This is exactly what I will do.

This also addresses (probably) the answer to why we don't see anything regarding post #38.

celestian
March 13th, 2017, 19:15
For those of you that don't know the story on this adventure development -

I was commissioned by Scott Taylor to convert the adventure to FG. We did not follow proper procedure with Smiteworks (I was a noob and didn't understand until Doug cast a spell on me to cure my confusion). As anyone knows (now) there are specific procedures for Kickstarter projects in conjunction with Smiteworks. Namely, the author must contact Smiteworks regarding the development, and the developer (ME in this case) should DOUBLE CHECK whether that's been properly executed. In the case of "The Complete Roslof Campaign", Smiteworks ended up being left out. I wasn't privy to any conversations or copied emails, but it's easy to say things were not properly handled (I include myself as part of that for not being diligent and just trusting everything was fine).

Scott eventually decided to just distribute the FG .MOD file himself rather than complete the process for going through the Smiteworks store. So when I sent him the product, he distributed it. I never received any feedback about errors until now (here in this thread). As a matter of fact, I never received any feedback of any kind. I offered (and still offer) to maintain error correction, but again, all I can do is send him the file and hope he redistributes. This is exactly what I will do.

This also addresses (probably) the answer to why we don't see anything regarding post #38.

Thanks for the information on this. I was just about to ask why it wasn't on the Smiteworks "store".

bawsr
March 14th, 2017, 02:08
I was going to ask how we could buy it also. Hopefully you get the details worked out so all of us can enjoy it or is there somewhere we can purchase this at?

rob2e
March 14th, 2017, 06:28
I was going to ask how we could buy it also. Hopefully you get the details worked out so all of us can enjoy it or is there somewhere we can purchase this at?

You'd have to contact Scott Taylor (https://artofthegenre.com/) if you want to purchase the FG module.