PDA

View Full Version : How active are RM campaigns?

Greylorn
September 3rd, 2016, 18:44
Had a friend recommend this site to me. I enjoy RPing, but most of the people in my area are more into D&D or Pathfinder, and I really miss the RM system of games. How active is that rule set on this site? Any active campaigns? I played 'classic' RM back in the late 90's while I was in college and have always really enjoyed the rule set. The RMFRP system is one that I have dabbled in and tried to get some interest in with the local gamers, but it is so different from what they normally play that it hasn't ever really taken with them.

Skellan
September 4th, 2016, 02:41
Are you thinking of running a game? If so, I reckon with a little persistence you could get a group together

damned
September 4th, 2016, 03:41
Most of the RM groups are long running. They certainly still play but you dont see many openings advertised.

GunnarGreybeard
September 4th, 2016, 13:00
I occasionally see a post looking for players but they seem pretty rare. I suspect the majority are running well established groups and rarely have openings.

Greylorn
September 5th, 2016, 16:32
Are you thinking of running a game? If so, I reckon with a little persistence you could get a group together

I am considering the Fantasy Grounds product and was just wondering if it was worth joining...how available games are and the quality of the RPing games that are run in Fantasy Grounds. I was excited to see RM supported and wondered how active that particular system was.

CrawlingChaox
September 5th, 2016, 17:56
Well, I wouldn't buy FG specifically for the Rolemaster community hanging around. That said, Fantasy Grounds is a great tool. If you can assemble a group on a different Rolemaster venue (maybe a dedicated community), you'll still be able to play RM with them through Fantasy Grounds and have a great experience.

hawkwind
September 5th, 2016, 18:21
I got most of my current players from the ICE forums but saying that I run on European time and I have had plenty of initial interest from North American players on this forum till they realised that the 5-8 hour time difference meant they would be playing in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday

Greylorn
September 5th, 2016, 19:28
Thank you for the advice. I'll play around a bit with it and try to get comfortable with it. I'm a bit leary of jumping in and trying to GM in a format I've very little experience with.

Well, I wouldn't buy FG specifically for the Rolemaster community hanging around. That said, Fantasy Grounds is a great tool. If you can assemble a group on a different Rolemaster venue (maybe a dedicated community), you'll still be able to play RM with them through Fantasy Grounds and have a great experience.

Greylorn
September 5th, 2016, 19:29
Yea, I can see where that would cause a problem. Thank you, I will head to the ICE forums and see what interest i can round up there to perhaps get a game going.

I got most of my current players from the ICE forums but saying that I run on European time and I have had plenty of initial interest from North American players on this forum till they realised that the 5-8 hour time difference meant they would be playing in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday

JohnD
September 6th, 2016, 01:25
FG does Rolemaster proud.

shadd
September 6th, 2016, 22:20
I'll jump in and say that I recently purchased FG and the RMC ruleset. I have never used either before, but a friend and I are currently trying to learn both. We're both longtime players of D&D and Pathfinder, but looking for a change of pace. We also like the online aspect given that we don't live all that close.

Once we get a bit more familiar with FG and RMC I plan on making an LFG post. My friend is an experienced DM but we're trying to play together as players for once.

So there is interest from at least two people here, but during my research I definitely notice that D&D and Pathfinder have a much larger community and content (not surprisingly). We're not ready to jump ship on Rolemaster yet, though. It's very interesting.

jshauber
September 7th, 2016, 17:31
I love Rolemaster and would love to get into another game...US based. I am one on the Yanks that can't play mid-afternoon with Hawkwind as this pesky job keeps getting in the way of fun stuff.

At some point I want to run some RMC but just can't seem to find the time to get it organized.

FG does RMC really well as all the tables are automated to save the GM having to look everything up, plus most results are automated to the victim, like bleed damage, stat loses, etc.

Character creation does take a while especially for the un-initiated to RM but a good GM can make that go quickly.

Trenloe
September 7th, 2016, 17:33
At some point I want to run some RMC but just can't seem to find the time to get it organized.
Get. It. Organised.

:)

Dakadin
September 8th, 2016, 08:31
Greylorn or shadd,

Don't be intimidated by running a RM game using FG. I've been part of a couple games with new GMs and the players have been very understanding.

If you would like a run through of the ruleset, I will take you through it so you have an idea of what you can do. Send me a tell if you are interested. If it is US based I might be able to hang out during your first session to give pointers also. Send me a private message if you are interested and we will see if we can work out a time.

jshauber
September 8th, 2016, 13:23
Get. It. Organised.

:)

Working on it. You playing if I do?

Trenloe
September 8th, 2016, 15:56
Working on it. You playing if I do?
If I'm available, I'd love to. :-)

EDIT: Especially if you set it in Middle Earth...

Greylorn
September 9th, 2016, 11:44
Greylorn or shadd,

Don't be intimidated by running a RM game using FG. I've been part of a couple games with new GMs and the players have been very understanding.

If you would like a run through of the ruleset, I will take you through it so you have an idea of what you can do. Send me a tell if you are interested. If it is US based I might be able to hang out during your first session to give pointers also. Send me a private message if you are interested and we will see if we can work out a time.

Thank you for the offer. Looking through things a bit more I think I will give it a try, get the license and begin playing around with it some to get accustom to how FG works and how it uses the RM rule set. Very positive comments here, and that makes me feel a bit better about giving things a try, from what I can see FG has a great community attached to it with all the notes of support.

jshauber
September 9th, 2016, 13:25
If I'm available, I'd love to. :-)

EDIT: Especially if you set it in Middle Earth...

Challenge accepted. I do have a bunch of old MERP books I could use as inspiration. Something to ponder on the flights back home later this weekend.

JohnD
September 11th, 2016, 04:13
Challenge accepted. I do have a bunch of old MERP books I could use as inspiration. Something to ponder on the flights back home later this weekend.
Yes please!

shadd
September 11th, 2016, 16:19
Greylorn or shadd,

I'm not particularly interested in GMing, but I do want to learn how everything works. I think I have the basics down now (thanks to your videos and posts), but still trying to figure out how spellcasting works in Rolemaster & how it fits into FG. It's a slow process because I don't have a lot of time. That's one thing that drew me to FG in the first place: ready to run campaigns and tools to speed up gameplay. With only a couple hours available per week, I need to make the most of it.

GunnarGreybeard
September 14th, 2016, 16:44
I had loads of fun playing Rolemaster back in the day, I really need to relearn the system. Maybe it's time to dig out the books.

corum Rask
November 17th, 2016, 15:39
I too am a old time Rolemaster player...still have all of the old books. I would love to find a active RMC game going. It seems that everyone is only into either Pathfinder or D&D 5E. I am out of Las Vegas NV (Pacific Time) I am new to FG (Just learned about it yesterday) and I am considering purchasing the Ultimate version.

Hector Trelane
November 17th, 2016, 16:02
I too am a old time Rolemaster player...still have all of the old books. I would love to find a active RMC game going. It seems that everyone is only into either Pathfinder or D&D 5E. I am out of Las Vegas NV (Pacific Time) I am new to FG (Just learned about it yesterday) and I am considering purchasing the Ultimate version.

People play plenty of systems on FG, although you're correct that Pathfinder and 5e are the most common. Savage Worlds and Cthulu are well represented, and there are plenty of other systems, too.

To get a group going, advertise fairly consistently with the times (and timezone) you're available, get started with some open table one-shots, and before you know it, you'll have some activity. FG Con and FG Daze are also opportunities to add to a play group, esp. if you structure beginner-friendly game sessions.

I'm about two years into FG myself and like it lots since 1) real life prevents a regular face-to-face game group, but I can do this; 2) FG has lots of supported material that helps in running/playing games; 3) there are lots of tools that enhance play in ways that are different from, and in some ways better than, face to face; 4) you meet a lot of quality gamers in the online community.

P.S. I have a died-in-the-wool Rolemaster college buddy who'd love to play, albeit he is scarce on time. Rolemaster inspires loyalty!

JohnD
November 17th, 2016, 17:07
Too many games I'd love to run or play and only 7 nights each week. :(

GunbunnyFuFu
November 17th, 2016, 21:54
Ah...fond memories of Rolemaster back in the day. Good stuff. Especially with Middle Earth!

Trenloe
November 18th, 2016, 05:30
To Rolemaster there are quite a few people who might be interested in getting into a game. I think it's a case of "if you build it, they will come!"

So, if you're really keen on playing Rolemaster, I'd recommend starting a game, rather then try to find a spot in an existing game.

erjohns
November 19th, 2016, 18:35
Did someone say RM game? I'll grab my dice.

corum Rask
November 19th, 2016, 23:56
Well I will have to pull out the books to refresh my memory...I am going to buy the Ultimate FG I guess I will purchase RMC....I might run some RMC....

JohnD
November 20th, 2016, 00:40
Well I will have to pull out the books to refresh my memory...I am going to buy the Ultimate FG I guess I will purchase RMC....I might run some RMC....

Definitely post if/when you are planning to start a game. You might not get a yuuge group, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to attract enough players to get it going.

Dragontail
November 21st, 2016, 04:30
Id be intersted as well Corum depending on time and day

corum Rask
November 21st, 2016, 13:22
Ok...Just bought the Ultimate version along with the RMC on Saturday.....I am watching tutorials on how to run Fantasy Ground since I have never used it before.
I also dug out my Rolemaster books to refresh my memory on how to play...it has been almost 20 years since I played.
I started playing Rolemaster in 1985 while I was in the Air Force. I could never find anyone to play this game since I got out of the Military.

I will have a game ready to run in maybe a week or 2...depending on how fast I can learn FG

Dragontail
November 21st, 2016, 19:59
Well if you need any help let me know, I having been playing it for a few months and im still learning stuff ;)

corum Rask
November 22nd, 2016, 01:04
Been playing with the Character Creation to start refreshing my memory.....slow going at first but I am learning. Been looking for RMC videos on youTube...so far only finding playing secessions.....not so much with the FC mechanics with the RMC ruleset....

Dragontail
November 22nd, 2016, 22:54
Been along time as well since i have even made a RM character. Well *** stated if you need help or want me to make a character together let me know ;)

Majyk
November 26th, 2016, 08:02
It can be rather clunky at first but after playing a bit with it, coupled with reading the manual for character creation, you will get there in no time.

The tricky thing for me was in making sure to click into each book's weapons/spells and dragging them into the Combat tab in order to link them up with the proper tables that the GM will use behind the scenes, to cross reference on the tables/crits.
I'll look into recording my newest PC creation in a game and share if it is in time with where you guys/gals may be at in a few weeks.

I will say this, though, that the RM group here has a bunch of fans going back as long as you guys have been in it, and they are very generous with their time in helping new RM GMs/Players get into the game!
See y'online, some time.

JohnD
November 26th, 2016, 17:31
Man... if only I had an extra free evening during the week I'd be all over this. Stretched thin as it is however....

Ardem
November 28th, 2016, 02:53
@corrum I published a free adventure module here, a long time ago. It might give you hints and tips in quickly creating an adventure layout for Rolemaster, especially if your just starting out.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16978-Free-FRP-Adventure-Goblin-Raiders

JohnD
February 23rd, 2017, 19:38
I may be starting a small game in the near future.

corum Rask
February 24th, 2017, 01:39
Keep me updated about the game. I love Rolemaster and would love to get into a game.