PDA

View Full Version : Connection problem (resolved)

rob2e
September 3rd, 2016, 18:38
I'm house sitting so I brought my laptop to another location.

I have port forwarding set up for 1802 to the internal IP that matches FG. Firewall has opening too.

Windows 10
FG 3.1.7

Cannot get connection.

Uh, help?

Zacchaeus
September 3rd, 2016, 19:47
Wireless connection? Has the router been set to point incoming traffic to your laptop's internal IP address. It'll be in LAN setup somewhere, depending on the router.

LordEntrails
September 3rd, 2016, 19:49
I have problems with FG showing the correct internal IP. When you log onto the router/modem, you should be able to see what devices are connected and what their IPs are. Use that. You can also check your local IP. If you are on Windows, from a DOS/command prompt type "ipconfig /all" and that will return your configuration, including your IP for your wireless card (you might have other IPs as well).

rob2e
September 3rd, 2016, 23:12
Wireless connection? Has the router been set to point incoming traffic to your laptop's internal IP address. It'll be in LAN setup somewhere, depending on the router.

Yes, pointed there but still no good.

rob2e
September 3rd, 2016, 23:13
I have problems with FG showing the correct internal IP. When you log onto the router/modem, you should be able to see what devices are connected and what their IPs are. Use that. You can also check your local IP. If you are on Windows, from a DOS/command prompt type "ipconfig /all" and that will return your configuration, including your IP for your wireless card (you might have other IPs as well).

IP config matches the FG internal IP, still doesn't work.

Trenloe
September 4th, 2016, 00:17
If your laptop recognising the new network as "Public" or Private (work/home)? If not, your firewall on your computer might be blocking FG.

Also, if the new network is behind a modem and a router you may need to do forwarding of port 1802 from the modem to the router and then from the router to your PC.

If you're using McAfee check that it isn't blocking FG - this has been reported recently.

rob2e
September 4th, 2016, 03:13
If your laptop recognising the new network as "Public" or Private (work/home)? If not, your firewall on your computer might be blocking FG.

Also, if the new network is behind a modem and a router you may need to do forwarding of port 1802 from the modem to the router and then from the router to your PC.

If you're using McAfee check that it isn't blocking FG - this has been reported recently.

I am at someone's house (they are not present) and it appears I AM in fact behind a modem and a router. So I forward the modem to 1802, and the router to 1802, but I'm not sure how to forward the modem TO THE router. Kinda lost there.

damned
September 4th, 2016, 03:14
You can always PM me or email if you cant work it out.

Trenloe
September 4th, 2016, 03:32
but I'm not sure how to forward the modem TO THE router.
You need to have login access to the modem and the router - login to the modem to forward to the router, then login to the router to forward to your computer running FG. It's a good chance the router IP address will be XX.YY.ZZ.01 where XX.YY.ZZ is the first three numbers of your IP address. For example, if you're computer is IP address 192.168.0.5 then the modem might be 192.168.0.1. Although that might not always be the case, your router might be that and the modem might be something different. But it's a good place to start...

rob2e
September 4th, 2016, 03:34
You need to have login access to the modem and the router - login to the modem to forward to the router, then login to the router to forward to your computer running FG. It's a good chance the router IP address will be XX.YY.ZZ.01 where XX.YY.ZZ is the first three numbers of your IP address. For example, if you're computer is IP address 192.168.0.5 then the modem might be 192.168.0.1. Although that might not always be the case, your router might be that and the modem might be something different. But it's a good place to start...

Thanx. Damned is remote accessing me now.

rob2e
September 4th, 2016, 03:40
damned got me squared away. ThanX Trenloe. This really is the best gaming community I have ever been around!

damned
September 4th, 2016, 03:52
[internet] --- public IP [cable modem] private ip 10.0.0.1 ---- private ip 10.0.0.6 [wifi router] private ip 192.168.1.1 ---- private ip 192.168.1.115 [GM computer]

Logon to [wifi router] and find its WAN IP address (in above example 10.0.0.6) and its MAC address
Create a Single Port Forward, or Game/Application Server entry for TCP 1802 for host/ip 192.168.1.115 (GM Computer)
Go into LAN or DHCP settings and create a Static DHCP reservation for 192.168.1.115 so it always gets the same address

Logon to [cable modem] and create a Single Port Forward, or Game/Application Server entry for TCP 1802 for host/ip 10.0.0.6 (wifi router wan IP)
Go into LAN or DHCP settings and create a Static DHCP reservation for 10.0.0.6 so it always gets the same address

Check your Windows Firewall and/or AV firewall and allow FantasyGrounds.exe to talk to anyone and allow tcp 1802 from any network

rob2e
September 4th, 2016, 04:04
Just realized I entitled this thread as "Coonection". Funny.

<---- Moron.

Zacchaeus
September 4th, 2016, 11:46
Thanx. Damned is remote accessing me now.

This sounds incredibly painful :)

damned
September 4th, 2016, 13:41

There is no possible answer to this that doesnt make things worse from some perspective.

rob2e
September 4th, 2016, 15:31

He was gentle. And warm. ;)

Zacchaeus
September 4th, 2016, 15:58
He was gentle. And warm. ;)

Damned was right! But I have sorted the title for you.

Myrdin Potter
September 4th, 2016, 16:22
It is interesting that a cable modem needs to be routed as well sometimes. Mine (xfinity/Comcast provider and I bought a docis 3.0 Motorola/Arris modem myself) didn't need anything. The router and the PC firewall needs to get set correctly (forward and open firewall) but the cable modem itself just passes everything to the router. Will have to read up to see how I can even log into my modem, just for curiosity's sake.

When I travel, I use a VPN to get outside the hotel network and to give me a set IP address with ports available.

damned
September 5th, 2016, 00:33
There are two ways to add a WiFiRouter to your Cable connection (well Im sure there are more but these are the most common and most people dont realise they have done one or the other).

1. Simplest way going forward. Plug the new WiFiRouter into the CableModem via a LAN port on both. Turn off DHCP on the WiFiRouter but still enable and configure WiFi. This means all firewall configuration is done only on the CableModem and even better - UPnP is more likely to make things just work.
2. The more complex way going forward. Plug the new WiFiRouter into the CableModem via a LAN port on CableModem and the WAN port on the WiFiRouter. Many people do this and dont realise they have created two networks now and some devices are connected on the CableModem network and some are connected first via WiFiRouter and then CableModem. If you do this and you are connected on the WiFiRouter then UPnP very likely wont work. You will need to do a static Port Forward from CableModem to WiFiRouter to PC (and any software firewalls will need to be configured).

Additionally you will find that going into DHCP on the devices and assigning Static DHCP reservations will give you a far more stable setup. This is preferred over assigning addresses Statically on the adaptor if you are using a laptop or other device that sometimes participates on multiple networks.

For DHCP in the above examples:
1. On the CableModem assign a static DHCP reservation to your Computers IP/MAC and use that IP for the Port Forward
2. On the CableModem assign a static DHCP reservation to your WiFiRouter WAN IP/MAC and use that IP for the first port forward. On the WiFiRouter assign a static DHCP reservation to your Computers IP/MAC and use that IP for the second port forward.

Myrdin Potter
September 5th, 2016, 01:00
Ok, I have always connected it the second way and that was always the recommended way to do it. Will have to do more research but since I did the port forward and have no issue, I may leave well enough alone.

Zacchaeus
September 5th, 2016, 01:02
(Resolved) :)

damned
September 5th, 2016, 01:06
Ok, I have always connected it the second way and that was always the recommended way to do it. Will have to do more research but since I did the port forward and have no issue, I may leave well enough alone.

The second way is totally fine. It does add some extra security. So long as you understand how to do the double NAT / Port Forward you will be fine. My comments were not suggesting that anyone should change what they are doing - just a little more background into the two setups and what they mean in terms of FG (and some other games).