PDA

View Full Version : New to Fantasy Grounds

Landberry
September 2nd, 2016, 14:46
I recently bought the game and watched some videos on how to create a character. I am looking for a GM that wouldn't mind teaching me and some others the basics of this game and maybe start a campaign? If you are interested send me a message at any time and I will get back to it when I can.

Thank you in advance.

NotRussellCrowe
September 2nd, 2016, 14:58
Hi, Landberry, welcome to Fantasy Grounds!

I don't have anything open at the moment but keep checking this forum (and the one-shot forum) and try and get into anything that interests you. It's not too bad to find a game here I feel (depending on what type of system you are looking to play) but you can't always get one immediately.

Also check the game calendar for any open games
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/gamecalendar/dashboard.php

As well, FG-Con is coming up next month. Registration opens soon but you can scout out what is available ahead of time. Sign in and set your timezone so you can plan for games that work for your availability!
https://www.fg-con.com/events/

Happy gaming!

Zacchaeus
September 2nd, 2016, 15:03
Indeed, welcome Landberry.

Generally you are going to have to come to the DM rather than the DM seeking you out.

NotRussellCrowe's advice is sound. Subscribe to the LFG thread and keep an eye on the Calendar.

Dorian
September 2nd, 2016, 15:11
Hi!

It would help if you would mention your time and game system/settings preferences. :)
I have a game open at thursday: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33881-LFP-Need-4-players-thursday-8-sept-14u30-(2-30-pm)-CET-SW-Daring-Tales-of-Adventure-1 .

Dorian
September 2nd, 2016, 15:13
I just posted my first LFP thread on the forum.

Would you recommend using the game calendar? Is it a useful and frequently visited tool?

NotRussellCrowe
September 2nd, 2016, 15:18
For myself I use both. I post in the forum and then setup a calendar entry for people to sign up on. There's a setting where it can be looking for players and then it shows up in the calendar, so if the DM sets that then you can use both to find a game. Not all calendar entries are maintained I find, sometimes the DM forgets about them or does not remove them when the session/campaign is over, so you may strike out a few times.

Dorian
September 2nd, 2016, 15:26
For myself I use both. I post in the forum and then setup a calendar entry for people to sign up on. There's a setting where it can be looking for players and then it shows up in the calendar, so if the DM sets that then you can use both to find a game. Not all calendar entries are maintained I find, sometimes the DM forgets about them or does not remove them when the session/campaign is over, so you may strike out a few times.

What are your experiences with the calendar? :)

NotRussellCrowe
September 2nd, 2016, 15:29

I don't think I've found a game from the calendar alone and prefer to use the forum for game finding initially. I treat it as a tool for running my games but it is another way to find a game, and even if I haven't had much success doing so does not mean someone else will not.

Dorian
September 2nd, 2016, 15:55
Thanks. Maybe I will be looking into it. The future will tell. :)

Trenloe
September 2nd, 2016, 16:14
The best thing about the game calendar is that you can enter date/times for sessions and these will be converted to the user's local time (assuming they have this correctly entered in their profile). I recommend using a thread in the forums for discussions, as you don't get an email notification when information is posted in the game calendar. Use the game calendar discussion and GM announcement section for background/up-front info about your game that players might want to refer to again and again, but be aware that only those you accept can see this info.

There are some players who will apply to a game in the game calendar without ever getting in touch with the GM. Reach out to them via PM if you wish, but don't accept people until you have hear from them - people who apply but never communicate will very rarely turn up for your game!

Dorian
September 2nd, 2016, 20:32
OK, I have set up the calendar. Hopefully it will boost the amount of replies I am having so far. :)