PDA

View Full Version : Shield Guardian

antaskidayo
September 2nd, 2016, 13:26
Hi guys,

How do you implement the 1/2 damage feature on this one? thanks =)

Gwydion
September 2nd, 2016, 13:41
I think you could build an effect on your character as follows: Shield Guardian; RESIST: all

This would give you 1/2 damage on all attacks against you I think. Its actually the same as the incorporeal effect built into fg.

Zacchaeus
September 2nd, 2016, 14:56
There isn't a foolproof method of dealing with this. As Gwydion says an effect on the user such as he suggests would work in many instances; but it would be overcome by anything which has the magic damage type (which admittedly isn't all that common). It would probably best be dealt with manually. Use the half damage button found in the modifiers dialog (+/- button top right of the UI). Once the damage has been dealt drag the damage in the chat window to the Shield Guardian to apply the half damage to it.

LordEntrails
September 2nd, 2016, 14:57
As Gwydion says, it's just a resist effect. My players use this (along with AC:2) because they captured the Shield Guardian in PotA.

antaskidayo
September 2nd, 2016, 23:12
uhmm is there a way to get the half damage done without using RESIST? because it is also possible to have Blade Ward on and also have a Shield Guardian.

Zacchaeus
September 2nd, 2016, 23:36
See my post #3 above.

ll00ll00ll00ll
November 6th, 2016, 14:51
So, what would be best practice for allowing a player to control a Shield Guardian? Should they make up a PC version of the Shield Guardian, or does the DM move around the NPC Shield Guardian? Is it possible to grant control of an NPC to a Player?

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2016, 15:22
So, what would be best practice for allowing a player to control a Shield Guardian? Should they make up a PC version of the Shield Guardian, or does the DM move around the NPC Shield Guardian? Is it possible to grant control of an NPC to a Player?

Yes, drag the NPC and drop it onto the character portrait.

LordEntrails
November 6th, 2016, 18:01
When my players gained control of a shield guardian, I had them make a PC, same thing with things they summon often like fire elementals. Given that these things are going to be more like cohorts than passing characters, I figured to go to the (not much) effort of having them create a PC for these types of NPCs.

ll00ll00ll00ll
November 7th, 2016, 13:12
my only problem with that is, wouldn't the Shield Guardian / Fire Elemental suck up some of the XP then? Or is there a way to avoid that?

antaskidayo
November 7th, 2016, 17:28
Shield guardian is a magical item and fire elemental is a spell - a class feature(spellcasting). They both dont eat exp share

ll00ll00ll00ll
November 7th, 2016, 17:47
When my players gained control of a shield guardian, I had them make a PC, same thing with things they summon often like fire elementals. Given that these things are going to be more like cohorts than passing characters, I figured to go to the (not much) effort of having them create a PC for these types of NPCs.

If I keep them as NPCs then I see what you mean, but if I make them into PCs as suggested above, wouldn't that eat up XP?

Moon Wizard
November 7th, 2016, 17:48
Only if you added them to the party sheet, which you don't have to do.

JPG

ll00ll00ll00ll
November 7th, 2016, 17:51
perfect, thanks!