PDA

View Full Version : Slow Down

Danimal66
September 1st, 2016, 15:57
I've been using FG with my group for about a year now. The last few sessions we have been having random, weird issues. First the program seems laggy on mine and other computers. I don't know if this is because the campaign I have has too many modules loaded. Right now it has PHB, MM, DMG, Tomb of Beasts, Lost Mine and Storm Kings Thunder. My machine is a very top end computer, but it take a while for the program to load now and as I said sometime it gets really laggy in opening menus.

The bigger issues is my players are suddenly disconnecting. If it was one player I could troubleshoot it but it seems to be a random person each time. Last night a player who has never had issues had the program crash 5 times when trying to select his PC. Finally without doing anything different it worked. Everyone complained of slow loading after connecting, it took one player 5 minutes before he was able to do anything.

Is there some kind of cache that needs to be cleared routinely?

Zacchaeus
September 1st, 2016, 16:23
It wouldn't do any harm for your players to nuke their cache every so often. (On the Join Game screen to right just below the version number there's a nuke button).

Also make sure that you don't have too many shared things, since those all have to be downloaded when the players join (if they haven't been downloaded before).

Random disconnects could be network problems at their end too.

Trenloe
September 1st, 2016, 17:16
This will happen if you run a campaign for a while and don't do any clean-up. As Zacchaeus mentions, unshare "stuff" you've shared that no longer need to be shared - click the (P) icon to the right of these entries. Also delete/export NPCs, items, etc. that you no longer need in the campaign. Export them to a module if you wish so you can access them later if you need, then delete them from the campaign.

I helped a group a while back that were having exactly the same issues as you are experiencing, when I joined their campaign the GM had close to 100 images still shared with the players. Unsharing most of those made a huge difference in performance and stability.

Danimal66
September 1st, 2016, 17:33
Thanks, I need to get better at that. Great tips