PDA

View Full Version : Epic Campaign combining Storm King's Thunder with Tyranny of Dragons

ddavison
September 1st, 2016, 06:36
Running a Custom Storm King's Thunder?

There has been some chatter about potential cross-over between Storm King's Thunder and some of the other adventures for D&D fifth edition -- especially Tyranny of Dragons. One of the things that we've tried to maintain with Fantasy Grounds is the ability to get a preloaded adventure but to still allow you to make it your own as a DM. In addition, an adventure is just one component in a campaign and you can easily open more than one adventure and modify them all within the same campaign.*
Is Storm King's Thunder mixed with Hoard of the Dragon Queen and The Rise of Tiamat the best basis for an Ultimate Epic Campaign?

For those of you who have finished reading through or even running SKT, HOTDQ and ROT, how would you link these together? Would you start off with HOTDQ or SKT? I could see some great possibilities of starting with HOTDQ, moving through some of it and SKT and then finishing up with the ending of ROT, but now at a higher level.

Myrdin Potter
September 1st, 2016, 06:56
I am going to combine it with my PoTA campaign. They started in Phandelver and met the dragon and the dragon cultists there, and they have already visited Triboar in PoTA.

There really is no need to clear out each temple except to gain some levels to handle the deeper threats. SKT fits well for the level 5-10 when you end up running one temple after another.

spite
September 1st, 2016, 07:03
This is a great idea. I haven't read far into Storm King's, but it would be a blast to liven up the Hoard Of The Dragon Queen book with some giant slaying. HotDQ is the weakest in the middle chapters (pretty much after the bandit camp sections) so I may just try this next time I want to run HotDQ

El Condoro
September 1st, 2016, 07:56
I am in the process of converting (if that is the right word) SKT into my own (non-FR) world. Obviously, the background information needs to be modded and the factions changed to suit, but the adventure itself will work with the locations inserted into my own world setting. I plan to do as suggested for the edited sections - copy them and edit them to suit. I am really looking forward to starting this after the current adventure. It was surprisingly easy to weave the SKT story into the campaign. I intend to run all of SKT from the beginning, even though the party will be level 6+. I will modify the encounters and the threat to account for that but I thought it was important to incorporate the backstory, rather than start at Level 5 as the module suggests. Even if those early chapters are glossed over a bit, they set the scene nicely even in a completely different setting.

thomnoland
September 1st, 2016, 15:36
Right now, I'm running a group through LMOP, and was planning on doing Tyranny after. I was initially going to slip Curse of Strahd into HOTDQ to extend the campaign a little, but if SKT mixes well with ToD, I may go that route instead.

kylania
September 1st, 2016, 16:10
I'm planning on going from HotDQ (we just finished), to some one shots/homebrew (tonight is the last session of that arc), and next on to Storm King's Thunder.

My group is brand new players and more "action" orientated and the RP and coalition building at the beginning of RoT wasn't something they were really interested in tackling till they had more RP experience.

We started HotDQ at 6th level, which was kinda boring since I just didn't give them XP and bumped up everything till they caught up to the milestones (yay for 50HP Kobolds!). We've gone from 6-9 with the tail end of that module and the one shots, so we'll be starting SKT at 9th level.

Nylanfs
September 1st, 2016, 17:15
Sounds great Thomnoland, and welcome to the forums and FG community!

Nickademus
September 1st, 2016, 18:08
I don't plan to run STK at this time, but if I did (or when I do I should say), I would make custom original content to fill in the levels up to 20 and have a final climactic encounter to end it there. I doubt I'd ever splice two of the WotC adventures as they each deserve their own focus and seem to have their own atmospheres.

Aldente
September 1st, 2016, 18:55
I like pulling in components of various campaigns and letting the players/characters chart their course. Before finishing up HotDQ, my co-DM and I had laid breadcrumbs about demon activity in the Underdark as well as an unsettling encroachment of mists from the demiplane of dread in Faerun. We then had faction leaders propose three different courses of action to the party: continue to take down the Cult of the Dragon before Tiamat rises, cross over into Barovia to take on Strahd or head down into the Underdark. They opted for the last (partially due to the headstrong dwarf wizard wanting to support what Bruenor Battlehammer had suggested), and they say they'll deal with Strahd and Tiamat later. Interestingly, the players (not their characters) indicated that they're most concerned about Strahd so they want to be stronger when they take him on. I'm thinking Demogorgon will find that amusing.

Cheers!

paladinpariah
October 30th, 2016, 15:13
I hope this isn't thread necromancy.
I don't want to reveal any spoilers either.

I'm starting an SKT campaign and there's a part of SKT that basically says "go finish this subquest in HotDQ". I have read through SKT and just got HotDQ. Any tips on combining the specific part where SKT sends you into HotDQ?

Zacchaeus
October 30th, 2016, 16:57
I hope this isn't thread necromancy.
I don't want to reveal any spoilers either.

I'm starting an SKT campaign and there's a part of SKT that basically says "go finish this subquest in HotDQ". I have read through SKT and just got HotDQ. Any tips on combining the specific part where SKT sends you into HotDQ?

It pretty much tells you how to do it in Appendix A of SKT.