PDA

View Full Version : yet another failed connection test question

Vodkard
August 31st, 2016, 22:07
Hi everyone,

So I used to play D&D years ago and saw this Fantasy Grounds. Totally stoked I decided to give it a try. So far I bought the game and a standard license. I'm still learning the program, but here's my question:
I keep getting a failed connection test. Here's what I've done:

1) I open a port forwarding to 1802 directly in my router (NetGear).
2) I use McAfee and went into it's Firewall and added port 1802 to use.

I'm still getting a failed connection test. I've scoured the internet but to no avail. I don't know what else to do. If someone has the time, I could use some advanced help. Just in case, I d/l TeamSpeak and am in the default channel.
Also, I tried using it on two different computers in the house and it fails on both, if that helps.

Vodkard

Seya
August 31st, 2016, 22:57
Some routers you have to port forward it on the built in firewall also. Google the guides for your router

LordEntrails
August 31st, 2016, 22:59
Welcome to the community.

First, do you have a modem and a router? If so, you have to port forward from the modem to the router, from the router to the computer. You can test this by going to canyouseeme.org

Second, What country are you in? Some countries are out of IPv4 addresses and use IPv6 (which isn't supported), or use other translation technologies, or have been blocked by Smiteworks due to excessive attacks from those locations (which Smiteworks can make exceptions for).

There are some other things that can be checked for, but those are the first to to check.

jasonthelamb
August 31st, 2016, 22:59
Did you open 1802 UDP or TCP? Fantasy Grounds uses 1802 TCP

damned
August 31st, 2016, 23:42
If you are around about nowish I can test with you and get you setup.
Another thing to check is do you have a modem (cable modem?) and a router (wifi router?)? If so (depending on how you set them up) you might need to forward the modem to the router and the router to the PC - tcp 1802 in each case. Also some firewalls have a setting that blocks peer to peer games (which this is)...

Vodkard
September 3rd, 2016, 02:31
Sorry I haven't posted anything for a ocuple days. Shortly after my first post, my wife came home early from work and had me running errands until bed. After that, I've been working alot. So I'm finally responding.
I did alot of research, and every site told me I was doing it right, but when I went to canyouseeme.org, it still said 'no'. I decided to check my firewall and lo' and behold: when I turn my McAfee firewall off, I immediately get a successful connection test. So my next step was to check all the settings in the firewall. I added port 1802 as an exception. I clicked and unclicked every option I could find in the firewall settings. Nothing worked. I turned the firewall back on, failure. Turned it off again, success. Now I'm stuck yet again... Well, at least I know it has to do with McAfee firewall, but I can't figure out what it is.
Here's some info:
I live in America.
I use a Netgear N600 Cable Modem.
I use a Netgear N900 wireless dual band router.
I use Windows.
I use McAfee as my antivirus program.
I use McAfee's firewall.
I have Windows Defender turned off.
I have gone into 192.168.1.1 and port forwarded 1802 in UDP/TCP.

I'm almost certain it has to do with McAfee's firewall. I'll be here all night (hopefully) and will continue to check this board. I do apologize for the newbness. But I do appreciate any and all help.

Side note: How safe is it to play with your firewall off?

Vodkard
September 3rd, 2016, 03:08
UPDATE:

Fixed! I shall now impart my fumbling findings on how I fixed it in case someone else has the same problem.

1) I went into McAfee's firewall settings.
2) I went to their submenu 'Internet Connections for Programs'.
3) I found fantasygrounds.exe
4) I highlighted it and clicked 'edit'
5) Within the edit menu, I changed the setting "Access: Incoming and Outgoing" from "use designed ports" to "open to all devices"

After that , BAM, it worked. Thanks everyone, hopefully I'll be gaming some of you soon!

damned
September 3rd, 2016, 05:38
Good work Vodkard! Now get gaming!

LordEntrails
September 3rd, 2016, 19:53
And thanks for documenting, truly appreciated as it's bound to help someone in the future :)