PDA

View Full Version : App Link Suggestion

joshuaberkey
August 31st, 2016, 20:41
I had a suggestion, and this seems like the place to post it, please let me know if it is not.

I, and a few other groups I know of, use FG as a tabletop tool. I run the game on a laptop and one of the players does as well, projecting his view on his 70" television. This has been a very nice way to run the game over the last year or so, making map presentation, and monster/combat tracking a breeze. I did, however, have a thought. I couldn't find a similar suggestion anywhere here, but perhaps my search-fu is weak.

The idea, would be to have an iOS & Android App for Fantasy Grounds, that contains the character sheet for each character. This app would link up to the hosting Fantasy Grounds instance from the DM, syncing the character sheet on the app with the character sheet for that character within the fantasy grounds program, as well as with the combat tracker. So if a character took damage, it would show on the app and in FG. If they added something to their inventory, or subtracted something like drinking a potion, this would sync with their character sheet within FG as well. This is the base idea, and if this is all that was done I would be happy.
As an additional possibility, on the character's turn as determined by the combat tracker, the character would receive a pop-up directional keys (up,down,left,right,diagonals) with the eight possible directions on the app. Using the keys in the pop-up, the character would move their icon on the presented battle map in FG, perhaps even have the app keep track of their available movement, perhaps with a colored overlay on the battle map with the areas they could move to.

Even without linking to FG, this app could be used as a normal character sheet program on the phone/tablet, whatever. For inspiration to layout and look, I'd recommend taking a look at D&D Fight club 5e on iOS.
I'd most happily, as would most of my players, drop 5 bucks or so on the app.

Anyway, that was the thought. Just thought I'd share.

LordEntrails
August 31st, 2016, 21:51
Welcome to the community!

The place for enhancement/product requests is actually: fg2app.idea.informer.com

I believe ideas similar to yours are already there and you can just vote on them if they are. Otherwise just add your suggestion.

Do note that phone/tablet support has fairly clearly been stated that it will not be available in the current architecture. But, it has also been said that following the port to Unity, such things are possible (since that platform has better cross-platform compatibility) (and are probably likely).

Trenloe
August 31st, 2016, 21:52
Vote for it in the FG Wishlist here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40875

joshuaberkey
August 31st, 2016, 21:53
Thank you for the information all.