PDA

View Full Version : Power supply on my PC crashed while loading the campaign, now my campaign won't load.

StygianJim
August 30th, 2016, 03:15
So recently I've been having issues with my computer dying on me. Did some tests and I believe the power supply is starting to go, and shuts off the PC whenever it gets too taxed. I've been working around it, but recently while logging in to host my campaign the PC died and when I reloaded Fantasy Grounds I get this error. "Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file campaigns/Echos of the Past/campaign.xml - Error on line 0: Error document empty." I still have the files, and I copied them and made another campaign into which I posted the copied files. When I did that, suddenly that campaign wouldn't come up. The I copied a XML file labled campaign backup, and replaced the Campaign XML file with that, and renamed it "campaign". Now the new one loads...but none of the PCs are showing up. Has anyone encountered this, and is their a relatively easy fix? All of my players still have their characters, though a couple are a few levels below their current level, so we could rebuild the characters or load those files from the players' computers. Can anyone help?

Trenloe
August 30th, 2016, 03:35
Welcome to the forums!

I don't know why the PCs won't show - assuming they are still in the db.xml file from the original campaign directory.

You can get the players to export their PCs from their own player cache, which is the local campaign data stored on their PC the last time they were connected to your game. Each player will need to Start FG and go to "Manage Characters", in the "Campaigns" list at the bottom of the screen they should select the name of your campaign and then click the "Start" button. Once the campaign loads up they can access their character list and export their character XML. Get them to send that to you and you can import it into your campaign.

StygianJim
August 30th, 2016, 04:30
Thanks, I will try that. Was reading through a couple of similar mishaps in other threads, but nothing exactly like mine. I'm going to have to see how much might not have transferred over into the backup/test campaign I created to see what is still there.

Trenloe
August 30th, 2016, 04:56
Also see if you have any db backup XML files in your campaign directory. If there is one more recent than your current db.xml file you could try copying that to db.xml and seeing if that has the player character data present.

EDIT: I've checked my computer for a db backup file. They are in the specific campaign directory and of the format db.backup.XXXXXXXXXX.xml, where XXXXXXXXXX is a 10 digit number. With FG closed, look for the most recent (and/or the biggest) of these files, backup your current db.xml file and copy the db.backup... file to db.xml and load up the campaign in FG.

StygianJim
August 31st, 2016, 04:56
This seems to have worked, thanks.

damned
August 31st, 2016, 06:17
Woot!
Backup regularly.
Zip up the campaign folder (just the current campaign) before or after each session and add a date and drop it in your cloud storage drive.