PDA

View Full Version : Map resize to TV resolution - for Face-To-Face games

Trenloe
August 30th, 2016, 00:10
FGU version available in the FG Forge here: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/7/view

The version available for download below is for FG Classic, don't use if you're running FGU - delete the file from your <FG app data>\extensions directory and subscribe to the Forge - link above.

From a discussion here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33813-Fg-tv-tabletop-scaling-maps and also me starting to run face-to-face games on FG with a TV laid flat on the table, I've put together an extension that auto sizes maps to match 1 grid square to 1 inch on the physical TV.

This extension is for those among us who use a TV for their face-to-face games and use miniatures on the TV, requiring them to size any maps to match have 1 square on the map = 1 physical inch on the TV screen. It allows the GM to set the size and resolution of their TV (currently only 16:9 format TVs are supported) for their campaign, and then can use a right-click menu on the TV (player) view to auto size the image to match 1 grid square = 1 physical inch on the TV.

v3.3.6 - July 13th, 2020 - update to be more compatible. FGU test compatibility. Added decimal TV size in inches support (e.g. /tvsize 15.6 1080)

Versions
v3.3.5 - April 21st, 2018: FG v3.3.5 compatibility update.
v3.3.0b - May 9th, 2017: Very minor update. Resize to grid functionality now caters for dynamic toolbars and different sized image window frames to display the full, resized, image.
v3.3.0 - FG v3.3.0 compatibility.
v3.2.2 - FG v3.2.2/3 compatibility.
v0.2 - FG v3.2.0 compatibility.
v0.1 - First release. Base functionality.

Installation

Download the attached extension file "Player Image Auto Size.ext" and save it to your <FG App Data>\extensions directory.
Start up Fantasy Grounds and select campaign for a ruleset that is built on CoreRPG. Select the "Player Image Auto Size" extension and start your campaign.
When your campaign loads, set the TV size and resolution via a chat command. Use: /tvsize <TV size in inches> <TV resolution in pixels (height/Y dimension)> An example is: /tvsize 43 1080 for a 43 inch (diagonal measurement) TV with 1080p resolution (full HD).

Do not use this with the Enhanced Images (layers) Extension or the Image Label Extension. The Enhanced Images (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%2528layers%2529-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%2528and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%2529) extension includes this code (from version 2.0.5a - April 2017).

Please read the following two posts for gotchas, issues and development plans.

Use
The first time you load a campaign with this extension active you need to set the TV size and resolution via a chat command. Use: /tvsize <TV size in inches> <TV resolution in pixels (height/Y dimension)> An example is: /tvsize 43 1080 for a 43 inch (diagonal measurement) TV with 1080p resolution (full HD). If you're using a 4K (UHD) TV use the vertical resolution of 2160.

You only need to do this once as it is stored in the campaign database. You can check the setting by typing /tvsize in the chat window.

The resizing relies on the TV size and resolution stored in the database (using the /tvsize command) and the grid set on the map by the GM. The resizing will not work without a grid!

The GM should set a grid on the map at the size they wish to be sized as 1 inch on the TV display. The GM should share the map to the player instance that is connected to the TV and then on the player (TV) instance the controlling user (probably the GM if the player instance is connected by localhost) should use the right-click menu as shown in the two images below: Resize (1st image) then the Resize to Grid square icon (2nd image):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15158 https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15159

If you have any feedback, comments, questions, etc. please post in this thread. Constructive criticism is welcome, just please keep in mind that this is the first release and I plan to add more functionality pretty quickly - so let me know what works, what doesn't, what features you'd like to see (keep it reasonable and realistic please) and we'll see where this goes...

If you have any ideas about the code please pass your feedback direct to me, please don't create your own version of this extension - we don't want confusion and multiple extension versions all over the place! Thanks!

Trenloe
The following three photos show this in action.

1) The player map has been shared by the GM. The dimensions are too small to fit the minis to the grid. This is the standard FG view, before the viewing size has been changed by this extension.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15155

2) The user has used the right-click menu to auto resize the map (based off the campaign TV info set using the /tvsize chat command). The map also gets located in the top left of the desktop.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15156

3) As the resized map was slightly larger than the TV, the User quickly moved the map (left-click and drag) so that the best view is available on the TV.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15157

Trenloe
Gotchas!

Only works with a square grid (for now).
Clashes with other extensions that modify the image functionality (for now), these include the enhanced images (layers) and image label extensions.
Auto calculations are done based off a 16:9 format TV with a horizontal distance (TV size) in inches. If your TV size is expressed in cm then divide the size in cm by 2.54 to give you the TV size in inches.
If you're not using a 16:9 format TV you will need to measure your TV vertical height and do a quick calculation to find the TV size you should use in the extension: measure your TV vertical distance in inches then use a TV size of: vertical inches / 0.49 to allow proper calculations of pixel/inch ratio for your TV.

Useage

The image can be resized massively off screen if there are a lot of squares set. You can simply left-click and drag to move the image, the grid size will stay the same.
You don't need to match up the grid exactly if you don't intend to use a FG grid in play. Just match up the size roughly, share the map, auto resize on the player side and then remove the grid. As long as you don't try to resize again the auto size will have matched the dimensions of the grid before it was removed.
If you find the grid squares just a little too small (i.e exactly 1 inch) then you can increase the size of them by using the /tvsize chat command. Reducing the TV size setting will increase the size of the squares on the screen - e.g going from 43 inches to 40 inches will result in slightly more than 1 inch squares. You'll need to resize the image again if you ever change the /tvsize setting. Likewise, increasing the /tvsize setting will give you grid sizes less than 1 inch.

Issues

Fixed Issues

Fixed in v3.3.6: /tvsize won't accept decimals - e.g. 15.6 for a 15.6 inch monitor.

Future Development

Add option for metric (cm) TV sizes.
Add option to hide the FG dice on the player view. See post #17.

damned
August 30th, 2016, 03:03
very clever Trenloe!

whiteTiki
August 30th, 2016, 03:50
Awesomee! Just what i needed for my sessions!

Testing extension now...

whiteTiki
August 30th, 2016, 06:15
I can confirm its working perfectly.

I just tried it in a 64'' and in a 42'' and meassure it with ruller. Everything fine.
I found a little prob when trying it on my laptop though. It happens to be 15.6'' and the /tvsize wont accept decimals as far as I can tell. I tried to input 15.6 and it stored the value as if I had a 6'' monitor and not a 15.6''
Of course I just solved it entering 16'' instead of 15.6'' and everything worked just fine, just a tiny bit smaller.

Thanks anyway!

Trenloe
August 30th, 2016, 06:49
I found a little prob when trying it on my laptop though. It happens to be 15.6'' and the /tvsize wont accept decimals as far as I can tell. I tried to input 15.6 and it stored the value as if I had a 6'' monitor and not a 15.6''
Oh right, I'm not checking for decimals. I'll log it as an issue and see about a fix. Thanks for testing.

LordEntrails
August 30th, 2016, 19:47
Awesome work. I like how you can easily move the image around.

Two ideas/questions;
- Do non-US TV's use metric sizes?
- I assume this assumes a 16:9 aspect ratio? Any ability (or need?) to use a different one?

Trenloe
August 30th, 2016, 19:58
- Do non-US TV's use metric sizes?
A lot do, yes, but most RPGs use 1 inch for battlemap grids. A quick cm/2.54 calculation will give you a good enough conversion from cm to inches.

- I assume this assumes a 16:9 aspect ratio? Any ability (or need?) to use a different one?
Yep, 16:9 only support (mentioned in post #1). I'll cross that bridge if different formats are needed. Vertical inches in the extension are calculated as diagonal inches x 0.49. So, if someone with a non 16:9 ratio TV measures their TV vertical distance in inches they would enter a TV size of: vertical inches / 0.49 to allow proper calculations of pixel/inch ratio for their TV.

damned
August 31st, 2016, 01:17
Australia uses both inches and cm's for TVs and mostly just inches for Monitors. Almost everything else is strictly metric.

Zacchaeus
August 31st, 2016, 01:41
In Scotland we don't use any kind of actual measuring systems. Our TVs come in a variety of sizes like big and really big and huge ��

LordEntrails
August 31st, 2016, 02:45
In Scotland we don't use any kind of actual measuring systems. Our TVs come in a variety of sizes like big and really big and huge ��
What happened to little and wee little?

tdewitt274
September 15th, 2016, 05:20
Looks great on my 23" monitor.

A couple things that I though of...

Would it be possible to have an option to create the image window the size of your available desktop space? I'd be more interested in using the pan than moving the image. Same effect, really, but just a preference.

Would it be possible to populate the image in the upper left hand corner of the window by default? Again, another preference thing.

Regarding the Imperial/Metric, maybe add an option to specify the measurement type? /tvsize 60 1080 <in or cm> or /tvsize 60<" or cm> 1080 to keep it sort.

Again, good work!

tdewitt274
September 15th, 2016, 05:20
Disregard, double post. FG Site is lagging for me.

Trenloe
September 15th, 2016, 05:35
Would it be possible to have an option to create the image window the size of your available desktop space? I'd be more interested in using the pan than moving the image.
I don't think it's possible to get the current size of the full FG desktop, so I'm afraid this is a no. Once the image is resized used CTRL+left-click-and-drag to resize the window to the size you want.

Would it be possible to populate the image in the upper left hand corner of the window by default? Again, another preference thing.
It pretty much does - it sets it 1 pixel in and 1 pixel down. Depending on which theme you're using the image frame itself might make it look like it's further in than it actually is.

Regarding the Imperial/Metric, maybe add an option to specify the measurement type? /tvsize 60 1080 <in or cm> or /tvsize 60<" or cm> 1080 to keep it sort.
Yeah, I'd do it similar to that if I do it.

Again, good work!
Thanks.

Patou
September 16th, 2016, 20:49
Wow! Me like!

ColinBuckler
September 17th, 2016, 23:10
Absolutely brilliant - just what I need for those face to face games. This needs adding in to the code instead of an extension as soon as possible!!!

One thing - any chance we can have an option to hide the dice only on the player clients. Something like:

/dice hide
/dice show

This would remove them from being displayed over the map. Yes I know there is an extension to remove the dice but I think that removes it from all (I could be wrong).

The way I run the game is to have the server running on my laptop screen (where I would need the dice) and a second client running on the same laptop connected via local host. This second client would display to the players via an external screen connected by HDMI and would be great if the dice can be removed from this screen only...

Trenloe
September 19th, 2016, 18:13
One thing - any chance we can have an option to hide the dice only on the player clients. Something like:

/dice hide
/dice show
That's a good idea. Let me look into it...

phoenix1x1
September 26th, 2016, 14:29
I'm trying to get the files..but I don't understand for some reason it said I don't have the permission...I just created a new user for that..and same thing.

damned
September 26th, 2016, 14:40
There is an ongoing maintenance event. Check back tomorrow.

phoenix1x1
September 26th, 2016, 14:41
ok thank you

ddavison
September 26th, 2016, 17:05
I'm trying to get the files..but I don't understand for some reason it said I don't have the permission...I just created a new user for that..and same thing.

We temporarily tightened things down yesterday as we were dealing with server issues. I have re-enabled downloads for attachments. Please try again now and let me know if you still have any issues.

Thanks,

-Doug

VinAlanson
November 10th, 2016, 07:38
Is the extension 3.2 compatible? I would like to us it tomorrow.

damned
November 10th, 2016, 11:05
Is the extension 3.2 compatible? I would like to us it tomorrow.

trenloe has about 3dozen extensions to check. If it hasnt been tagged as updated/tested then its not tested.
You will need to test yourself in the interim.

Trenloe
November 10th, 2016, 15:28
Updated.

Trenloe
November 11th, 2016, 00:44
Updated for FG v3.2.0 - download v0.2 of the extension from post #1.

Note: when FG v3.2.1 comes out this extension will need to be updated again!

VinAlanson
November 11th, 2016, 01:54
Thank you.

Trenloe
February 4th, 2017, 03:21
Update for FG v3.2.2 (and v3.2.3) compatibility.

Trenloe
April 15th, 2017, 01:59
v3.3.0 update available in post #1 - you must update to this version for FG v3.3.0 compatibility.

Note: I've now rolled this functionality into the enhanced images extension (layers) - so you can now use layers and auto image resize for your face-to face games. :) Available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG) If you use the enhanced images extension you don't need this one - don't run both!

Talen
April 21st, 2017, 05:45
I'd appreciate some help with what Im sure is a simple issue for someone that knows what they are doing. My squares are coming out too large. I have a Samsung 55 inch 4k tv I am try to use with the extension. The resolution is 3840 x 2160 and I've set that as the resolution in my pc's display setting as well. I've loaded the extension to FG and updated to 3.3 in FG. I've typed "/tvsize 55 2160" in the chat window and confirmed the resolution is saved in my campaign by typing /tvsize. (I've also tried it as 3840 with the same result). After that, I've shared the image to the players via localhost and on the player side (with the 4k tv), Ive right clicked on the image, selected resize and then resize to grid square. This results in the image being resized and moved to the upper left corner - but my squares are too large. I am using the maps from the Smiteworks Curse of Strahd conversion using both the existing grid lines as well as canceling the gridlines and creating new ones....same issue. Any idea where Im missing a step?

EDIT 1: There must be a setting I'm missing somewhere because the FG instance on the 4k tv is fitting less info than my 1440 pc monitor. I do have the display setting on the PC showing 3840 x 2160 at 60 p and the TV screen shows the same....any troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT 2: I've also ticked off autoscaling on my graphics card (nvidia 980)

Solved! It was a setting in "Display Settings" called "Change the size of text, apps and other items" that was auto set to 300%. Changing to 100% did the trick.

FatHighlander
April 26th, 2017, 01:07
I am using v3.3.0, and having an issue with the localhost settings not using the default /tvsize of my TV. Every map has to be set, and each map has a different size /tvsize to use for it to make it fit correctly. It's very strange!

Trenloe
April 26th, 2017, 01:21
I am using v3.3.0, and having an issue with the localhost settings not using the default /tvsize of my TV. Every map has to be set, and each map has a different size /tvsize to use for it to make it fit correctly. It's very strange!
More info please. I use this all the time (using it for a face-to-face Savage Worlds game in 30 minutes) and haven't seen any issues like this.

What /tvsize setting are you using?

Do you set the grid on each map correctly for that specific map, before using the right-click resize on that map on the player side? You need to do the right-click menu resize on each map once opened, and do it on the player side - it doesn't open already resized.

FatHighlander
April 26th, 2017, 01:40
It's a 32 inch 720 Vizio TV, so I have experimented with 33 or 34. I do set the grid on the match by right clicking and selecting resize on the player side.

But on some maps it doesn't grid correctly and if i change /tvsize slightly it helps on that particular map. Just seemed odd to me...

Trenloe
April 26th, 2017, 05:38
But on some maps it doesn't grid correctly and if i change /tvsize slightly it helps on that particular map. Just seemed odd to me...
What size is the grid in pixels you set on these maps? What dimensions are the maps you're using? For two maps that require changes to make the 1 inch grid fit on the TV, please provide:
1) Dimensions of each of the maps.
2) The grid pixel size you set on each image.

Trenloe
May 10th, 2017, 02:52
v3.3.0b - May 9th, 2017: Very minor update. Resize to grid functionality now caters for dynamic toolbars and different sized image window frames to display the full, resized, image.

Trenloe
May 17th, 2017, 22:23
Using the extension with Weird Wars Rome (Savage Worlds) last night:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18996

Nylanfs
May 22nd, 2017, 14:27
Are those Arknight tokens? How do you like them?

Trenloe
May 22nd, 2017, 14:30
Are those Arknight tokens? How do you like them?
Yeah, they are their Flat Plastic Miniatures. I quite like them - good for taking a lot of minis with you when traveling. The main issue is that it can be hard to distinguish details/features on similar mini art. Especially if lighting isn't great. In these situations it's good to use different colour or numbered bases to help identify specific characters.

LordEntrails
May 22nd, 2017, 16:36
The important observation;
M&M's, Reese's Pieces, AND Bugles? Are you crazy?

Looks lovely, thanks for sharing :) Why is it I enjoy looking at pictures of other playing, but can never make myself watch other play (i.e. I can't do a Twitch stream or YouTube video!)?

Erin Righ
July 26th, 2017, 22:15
...good for taking a lot of minis with you when traveling....

I don' believe you, You don't go places in the physical world, T.R.E.N.L.O.E, you are an AI in the interwebs designed by Doug to help us with all your Fantasy Grounds problems. The only place you go is cyberspace. Your CPU is located in Colorado and the only guy who knew where that was went for a party at Snoop and Willie's and was never seen again. Don't think your foolin' any one ('cept maybe LordEntrails) with those high resolution junk food graphics, we know that is just for appearances.

Zacchaeus
July 26th, 2017, 22:24
I don' believe you, You don't go places in the physical world, T.R.E.N.L.O.E, you are an AI in the interwebs designed by Doug to help us with all your Fantasy Grounds problems. The only place you go is cyberspace. Your CPU is located in Colorado and the only guy who knew where that was went for a party at Snoop and Willie's and was never seen again. Don't think your foolin' any one ('cept maybe LordEntrails) with those high resolution junk food graphics, we know that is just for appearances.

Unfortunately I can vouch for the fact that he does exist :D

LordEntrails
July 26th, 2017, 22:27
Unfortunately I can vouch for the fact that he does exist :D
Exist? A computer AI exists. We don't doubt that :)

Maybe it's more advanced than we thought? Maybe he has a symbiote or android it shows to a few select after they have been laced with hallucinogens?

ddavison
July 26th, 2017, 22:36

He is an AI designed to drink large quantities of beer. He's a multi-faceted system.

LugzGaming
September 10th, 2017, 22:48
This isn't working for me. When do the /tvsize command, all it does is bring up a list of commands.

Zacchaeus
September 10th, 2017, 23:05
Did you enable the extension when you started the campaign?

VinAlanson
September 10th, 2017, 23:09
I have noticed that when I activate the extension the resize function in FG when adding encounters or try to place tokens on the maps no longer works.
As soon as I deactivated the extension the tokens resized themselves again.
I am pretty sure I have the latest extension downloaded.

Trenloe
September 11th, 2017, 02:20
I have noticed that when I activate the extension the resize function in FG when adding encounters or try to place tokens on the maps no longer works.
As soon as I deactivated the extension the tokens resized themselves again.
I am pretty sure I have the latest extension downloaded.
Can you give me some steps to reproduce please? I've just tested with v3.3.0b of the Player Image Auto Size extension and it works fine for me - when I add tokens from the combat tracker they auto size correctly, the same if I add them from an encounter.

Do you have a grid set on the map before you add tokens?
What ruleset, and what version, are you using?

VinAlanson
September 13th, 2017, 09:48
Can you give me some steps to reproduce please?
I have FG 3.3.1
Ultimate license

I have 50x50 pixel tokens
I have maps with 50x50, 30x30 or 20x20 pixel squares
Steps
Load Campaign
Select 4E or 5E rule set campaign
Make sure only the player image auto size ext is selected and nothing else
make sure 100% or 80% autosizing in the options is selected
Open a map, add the grid to the map.
Open up an encounter
Drag and drop tokens from the encounter onto the map - no scaling occurs.
Open the Combat tracker
Drag and drop the characters on to the map - no scaling occurs.

Remove all tokens from the map.
Click the add encounter to combat tracker button.
Drag and drop on to the map - no scaling happens.

Rest and go back to the beginning.
Deselect the Player Image Auto Size ext and repeat the above steps - scaling works.

LordEntrails
September 13th, 2017, 16:15
Do you have a grid set on the image? Scaling only works if their is an FG grid on the image.

Trenloe
September 13th, 2017, 17:19
It works fine for me in the v3.3.0 5E ruleset using the v3.3.0b extension.

Here's a video showing it working and giving some advice on things to check:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6oOdW6SsMwsekhBREtsZVFHZnM

(Google Drive is currently processing it - if it isn't showing as HD, download the video and play it locally).

VinAlanson
September 14th, 2017, 03:52
After all that, it turns out I had an outdated version of the extension. Thanks for your help guys. I have update the version and it all works fine.

Trenloe
September 14th, 2017, 04:10
After all that, it turns out I had an outdated version of the extension. Thanks for your help guys. I have update the version and it all works fine.
It's the golden rule - check extensions are up-to-date as the first step if you've identified that an extensions is an issue.

Beldak
September 28th, 2017, 15:39
For in-person play, is this extension the best one to use or the Enhanced Images one I saw this functionality seemed to be rolled into? We are just setting up an in-person group with FG, and are now experimenting with using a flat TV for the next session, instead of each person looking at their individual laptop :)

Trenloe
September 28th, 2017, 15:48
For in-person play, is this extension the best one to use or the Enhanced Images one I saw this functionality seemed to be rolled into? We are just setting up an in-person group with FG, and are now experimenting with using a flat TV for the next session, instead of each person looking at their individual laptop :)
It is up to you - if you want the layered functionality of the enhanced images extension then use that. If you don't, then just use this. I'd recommend reading up on the gotchas and usage in the Enhanced Images thread (first 2 posts) and see if it's what you need - some people don't like some of the gotchas and so don't use it. The need for it is much less if you're using a TV and minis as the main reason for it is to avoid token stacking issues.

midomidi2013
October 27th, 2017, 22:13
very clever Trenloe!

Nunspa
November 25th, 2017, 02:32
Question,

I loaded this up on my copy of FG I have on my TV (HDMI windows 10 stick pc) I start with coreRPG and set the screen size to < /tvsize 48 1080> and then check the size.. seems good to go.

I close the program and start it up, this time logging into my game hosted on my MS surface (a 5e game)...

I share a map and the grid seems to be at 2 inches instead of one.

did I do something wrong?

Trenloe
November 25th, 2017, 02:41
@Nunspa - You need to set the tvsize setting in the campaign you're using, in the GM computer you're using (FG stores data locally). Setting it in a coreRPG campaign and then connecting to a 5e campaign doesn't do anything as you need the correct setting in the 5E campaign you're connecting to.

Then you need to use the resize right-click menu once you've opened the map on the FG instance you've connected the TV to.

Allyx
December 6th, 2017, 07:20
I love this extention, I will be using it with my projector localhost game setup even though I can't seem to get the grid squares to exactly 1 inch.

My projector isn't great though and the grid is hard to see, is there a way to make the grid bold or just a bit thicker to compensate?

damned
December 6th, 2017, 08:29
I love this extention, I will be using it with my projector localhost game setup even though I can't seem to get the grid squares to exactly 1 inch.

My projector isn't great though and the grid is hard to see, is there a way to make the grid bold or just a bit thicker to compensate?

I dont think this extension will really work for your setup because you dont have a fixed screen size.

Allyx
December 6th, 2017, 09:53
I don't see why not, the distance from the ceiling mounted projector to the tabletop we project the image onto is fixed and measurable, the projector's resolution and aspect ratio are both known factors, the squares are either a little under or over 1 inch, so until decimal values are accepted I'll deal with the discrepancy, but I was more interested if there was a way to make the map grid itself more apparent as it's a little hard to see currently.

damned
December 6th, 2017, 10:05
The map grid colour/width etc is not editable.

Allyx
December 6th, 2017, 10:12
Ok no worries, will just have to manage as it is then, thanks for replying.

Trenloe
December 6th, 2017, 17:13
Remove the TV Size extension and try this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29 (It includes the TV size functionality).

It has three layers (you don't have to use them) which results in the grid lines looking heavier (when viewed from the top layer). There are some gotchas with using this (masking is done on only the bottom layer, for example) so if this helps and you plan to use it, make sure you're aware of the implications - which are all details in the first couple of posts of the extension thread.

Trenloe
December 29th, 2017, 18:35
Playing Starfinder last night.

Minor Starfinder Adventure Path Spoiler!

A simple map, sized using the extension in this thread, with a mask and sharing some flavour images. Then using normal minis on top of the TV (protected by a 1/8" plexiglass insert).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21831

damned
December 29th, 2017, 23:22
Ahhhh one of your players has learnt you can bribe the GM!

notrealdan
April 18th, 2018, 19:20
With FG v3.3.5, I get this error message when I open any image/map with this extension loaded:
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/image.lua"]:15: attempt to call field 'onCursorModeChanged' (a nil value)

If I set a grid on a map, this error comes up:
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/image.lua"]:19: attempt to call field 'onGridStateChanged' (a nil value)

I tested this with a fresh, empty 5E campaign with no other extensions loaded and only the DMG modules opened.

Then, I switched to using the Enhanced Images (layers) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29) extension and it works normally so far. Just putting this here in case it helps anyone who hasn't already switched to the other extension.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2018, 19:24
With FG v3.3.5, I get this error message when I open any image/map with this extension loaded:
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/image.lua"]:15: attempt to call field 'onCursorModeChanged' (a nil value)

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/image.lua"]:19: attempt to call field 'onGridStateChanged' (a nil value)

I tested this with a fresh, empty 5E campaign with no other extensions loaded and only the DMG modules opened.

Then, I switched to using the Enhanced Images (layers) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29) extension and it works normally so far. Just putting this here in case it helps anyone who hasn't already switched to the other extension.
Thanks for the info.

It's quite common for extensions to break with a FG core update. I'll put this in my long dev queue to look at.

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2018, 02:33

Updated extension v3.3.5 fixes this issue. Thanks for reporting.

michaelzep
April 28th, 2018, 07:17
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I am running to FGs. One for me and one on the same pc and connecting it through localhost. The localhost will not resize just the GM screen. How can I get the other to do it?

Trenloe
April 28th, 2018, 11:13
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I am running to FGs. One for me and one on the same pc and connecting it through localhost. The localhost will not resize just the GM screen. How can I get the other to do it?
I do this all the time, and it works fine for me - I've never had any issues. You need to use the right-click menu to resize on the localhost connection - resizing on the GM side doesn't automatically resize on the localhost side. Can you give some steps that you're trying and exactly what doesn't work? Also look for messages in the chat window.

michaelzep
April 28th, 2018, 12:21
GM; when I type /tvsize 50 1080 it works.
Localhost; I type /tvsize 50 1080 it don't.

Trenloe
April 28th, 2018, 14:59
GM; when I type /tvsize 50 1080 it works.
Localhost; I type /tvsize 50 1080 it don't.
The GM only sets this size once. For the size of the TV you wish to resize to. It doesn’t support multiple TVs. Set the size once on the GM side, then resize on the localhost side via the right click menu.

SIMON OWEN
May 2nd, 2018, 11:48
can I still use this if I have a projector as my "tv" and each of the players uses a laptop? (this is for a local in person game)

I want the projector to display the maps with one inch squares and the players to still be able to use their laptops as normal as a character sheet etc

Trenloe
May 2nd, 2018, 13:13
can I still use this if I have a projector as my "tv" and each of the players uses a laptop? (this is for a local in person game)

I want the projector to display the maps with one inch squares and the players to still be able to use their laptops as normal as a character sheet etc
This extension gives you the option (via the right-click menu) to resize the grid to 1-inch squares. No one has to use the option, just the GM to resize on the FG instance that is connected to the projector. It doesn't impact any FG functionality at all. So, you're fine in what you plan to do. :)

niknas
May 9th, 2018, 16:25
I don't think the attachment is updated? Downloaded the ext file and it's the same as the previous one according to Winmerge. Using the latest update on FG 3.3.5.
I still get the error

Trenloe
May 10th, 2018, 01:05
I don't think the attachment is updated? Downloaded the ext file and it's the same as the previous one according to Winmerge.
Yep, you're right. Sorry about that.

Please try the one attached now. It should show v3.3.5 in the chat window.

PDXCerealKilla
May 21st, 2018, 17:32
I'm having a hard time getting this to run. I would like to use it with starfinder. I have the adventure path and am not able to get it to snap fullscreen on the monitor. I installed the ext and click the box that says snap to grid but it doesnt resize. Any ideas?

Trenloe
May 21st, 2018, 17:40
I'm having a hard time getting this to run. I would like to use it with starfinder. I have the adventure path and am not able to get it to snap fullscreen on the monitor. I installed the ext and click the box that says snap to grid but it doesnt resize. Any ideas?
Welcome to the forums!

Don't select "Snap to Grid" - this is different. Use Resize -> Resize to Grid.

If this doesn't work, then please follow the Installation and Use instructions in post #1.

- The extension must be enabled for the campaign.
- The GM must have set the TV size via the command line command.
- There must be a FG grid set on the map.

DimeLes
June 28th, 2018, 03:38
Hello, All...I swear I'm doing this by the letter. My first issue was resolved when I found out there was a newer extension available. So no more error messages. But now, I set the grid on the GM side, share it out to the tv (localhost), resize, and resize to grid...Except now the map doesn't fit on the TV. I lose the navigational arrow in the bottom right and it is WAY long vertically and not nearly long enough horizontally. So I have to move the map all around to get to the bottom of it. Then, if I try to resize at all manually, the squares get too big.
Is it possible the map I bought is just too big? The TV is a 55" with 1080 resolution...I didn't think that would be an issue.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Trenloe
June 28th, 2018, 04:50
I set the grid on the GM side, share it out to the tv (localhost), resize, and resize to grid...Except now the map doesn't fit on the TV. I lose the navigational arrow in the bottom right and it is WAY long vertically and not nearly long enough horizontally. So I have to move the map all around to get to the bottom of it. Then, if I try to resize at all manually, the squares get too big.
You can use standard map window move/navigation controls: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images#Viewing
- Left-click and drag to move the whole map around the screen. You don't need the navigational arrow if all you're doing is displaying one map and using minis.
- Or, if you want to pan/jump around within the image window. Resize the map window to fit on your screen (CTRL+left-click and drag within the window) and then use the middle mouse button to pan the map within the window or use the navigational arrow.

Is it possible the map I bought is just too big? The TV is a 55" with 1080 resolution...I didn't think that would be an issue.
A 55" TV is roughly 48 x 27 inches. So, if you're trying to display a map that has more than 27 grid squares vertically then, yes, it will of course be too long vertically.

What is the inch/grid dimensions of the map? Maybe rotate it 90 degrees before you load it into FG?

Lawlesslisa
July 8th, 2018, 22:30
Hi, Trenloe;

Was there a way to turn off the dice on the players' display?

Also, what dimensions did you make your 1/8th inch plexi glass if I get one custom made for a 43" TV?

Trenloe
July 8th, 2018, 22:51
Was there a way to turn off the dice on the players' display?
Not really. See some discussion and an option here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30499-Hide-Dice

Also, what dimensions did you make your 1/8th inch plexi glass if I get one custom made for a 43" TV?
Each make and model of TV can have slightly different viewing apertures to the TV screen. If you have the TV already, measure it. If you don’t have it yet, look at the actual viewable screen dimensions in the technical specs.

I’d recommend you make the plexiglass just a tiny bit smaller than the aperture where it will sit, so you can get it out more easily if you need to.

Milmoor
July 13th, 2019, 07:49
@Trenloe, thanks voor this extension. It's very useful with my table top configuration which is a work in progress.

I'm experimenting with my exact setup, but two laptops seems most useful. One for the GM, and one for the screen. This allows for a keyboard and mouse dedicated for the players. Can players use this add-on to set their grid right as well? And if so, do they need the extension installed on their side, and if so, does this extension and Enhanced Images mix and match for this? Last question, on which the answer is probably no: can the players use a different size tv?

Trenloe
July 13th, 2019, 18:14
@Trenloe, thanks voor this extension. It's very useful with my table top configuration which is a work in progress.
Glad you find it useful. :)

I'm assuming you're using this with the player instance of FG connecting to the GM instance - which is the way it's designed to be used and the way most people run face-to-face games with FG.

I'm experimenting with my exact setup, but two laptops seems most useful. One for the GM, and one for the screen. This allows for a keyboard and mouse dedicated for the players. Can players use this add-on to set their grid right as well?
The extension is designed to specifically set the grid size on a certain size of TV - which in general use would be the player TV, as this is normally the one that is used for showing minis and encounters. See the "Use" section in post #1.

And if so, do they need the extension installed on their side...
Players don't get to decide which extensions are installed - the GM enables extensions on their side and the players automatically download and use them when they connect to the GM. This is standard FG functionality.

...and if so, does this extension and Enhanced Images mix and match for this?
I recommend you *always* read the threads for any extensions you want to use together - especially the first few posts that are made by the extension developer. In this case: See the bold line in post #1: "Do not use this with the Enhanced Images (layers) Extension or the Image Label Extension."

And looking at the first post of the enhanced images extensions you'll see (in the versions) that the TV resize functionality is included: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%2528layers%2529-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%2528and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%2529

Last question, on which the answer is probably no: can the players use a different size tv?
See my answer above regarding player use - and also see the "Use" section in post #1.

Milmoor
July 13th, 2019, 21:10
Thanks for the answers. I did know A was included in B. But I didn't know about the auto download of extensions. So I assumed it would only work with a localhost player. Which is not very logical in hindsight. That's why I asked if the add-ons could be mixed. If so, I had planned to distribute the smaller add-on, but this is not needed and would cause issues if it was.

Lokiz
September 30th, 2019, 10:09
Hi, Trenloe, your extension is really brilliant. But can you maybe add some functionality about combat tracker? It would be nice if it will can stay always on top above other windows! Sometimes it is very usefull when players can see initiative order on tv :)

Trenloe
September 30th, 2019, 15:42
Hi, Trenloe, your extension is really brilliant. But can you maybe add some functionality about combat tracker? It would be nice if it will can stay always on top above other windows! Sometimes it is very usefull when players can see initiative order on tv :)
Welcome to the FG forums Lokiz!

Glad you like the extension. :)

Use the arrow buttons in the top right of the image window to "dock" the image to the desktop (after you've used the extension functionality to resize to the grid). The issue here is that if you dock the map (two clicks of the up-right arrow) then the sidebar goes away. So the trick is to drag the combat tracker button to the hotkey bar at the bottom of the FG desktop before docking the map - then dock the map and click the hotkey (or press the relevant F-key) to open the combat tracker over the map.

Lokiz
October 1st, 2019, 13:27
Wow! Thank you very much! :D

umanami
October 2nd, 2019, 19:56
Is there an update to the file?
Running PF2 and connecting to a 42" 1080HD TV. The squares fade away as zoom and the quality is crap! The example was nice and wish it would look like that.
Running the account as 2 instances over the network at home.

Any updated advice?

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2019, 20:01
Is there an update to the file?
Running PF2 and connecting to a 42" 1080HD TV. The squares fade away as zoom and the quality is crap! The example was nice and wish it would look like that.
Running the account as 2 instances over the network at home.

Any updated advice?
If the quality is "crap" then it will more than likely be the resolution//grid of the image you're using - little to do with the extension itself. The extension will resize the image to match 1-inch on the screen to 1 grid-square on the map. What is the pixel resolution of the map? And what are the grid dimensions (width x height in grid squares)?

umanami
October 2nd, 2019, 20:05
It the brand new module from FG for Pathfinder 2e "HellKnight Hill". So we are not importing a map but wanting to use the actual purchased FG module and display it for the player.

Maybe a setting is wrong and will have to mess with it more?

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2019, 20:09
It the brand new module from FG for Pathfinder 2e "HellKnight Hill". So we are not importing a map but wanting to use the actual purchased FG module and display it for the player.

Maybe a setting is wrong and will have to mess with it more?
Which map?

When you say "zooming in" is this the auto sizing via the extension, or are you further zooming in?

What is reported in the chat window if you type /tvsize ?

umanami
October 2nd, 2019, 20:15
/tvsize 42 1080 and tried 43 as well. The TV is a 42"

All maps so far. Clicked on a map to show players and moved that map over to the TV and when it is displayed onto the TV it loses lots of quality and the squares were not automatically 1" so had to zoom in or out to make the squares 1".

Maybe because NOT using the CoreRPG ruleset? The only way to get the purchased module to load is by choosing the PF2e ruleset.

Thanks for your time!

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2019, 20:28
Maybe because NOT using the CoreRPG ruleset?
Nope, this is not a ruleset issue as PFRPG2 runs on top of CoreRPG.

All maps so far. Clicked on a map to show players and moved that map over to the TV and when it is displayed onto the TV it loses lots of quality and the squares were not automatically 1" so had to zoom in or out to make the squares 1".
It sounds like you're not following the extension resize process fully. Use the right-click menu to resize the map once it's on the TV - share it first, then use right-click -> resize on the TV instance of FG.

A 42" TV gives about 51 pixels per inch (FG will do this calculation based off the /tvsize parameters). The player map "Map: Citadel Altaerein" (for example) is setup in FG with approx 48 pixels per square. So, assuming the map is resizing right, you shouldn't see any major issues (48 is close to 51).

If you're still having problems, please provide the following details:
1) The output of the /tvsize chat command - just this command in bold, nothing else. It will report the settings FG will use.
2) The name of the map you're using to test. Please don't just say "All maps". :)
3) The exact process you're following and what the end issue is.
4) Take a screenshot of the problem - while on the TV instance press the print screen key on your keyboard, this will put a screenshot PNG file in your <FG App Data> directory - attach the screenshot to your results post here.

umanami
October 2nd, 2019, 20:34
Thanks for your time!
I will test it this week again and take a screenshot.

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2019, 00:16
Looks OK to me.

This is a 48" TV, which should look a little lower quality than a 42" TV (as the pixels are larger).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29258

Kelnozz
October 3rd, 2019, 04:05
I really like the concept of using a TV as the table top. I'm just wondering what steps I need to go through before I buy the TV. How did you set up FG for the second screen? Are you opening a second instance of FG as a player for only mapping? Do you stretch FG the window to include the TV?

Allyx
October 3rd, 2019, 04:19
No extra steps BEFORE buying the tv.

If you are buying a screen specifically for this purpose, I would say the lighter the screen the better.

If you aren't adapting a table to permanently store the tv, consider the storage options when it's not in use.

You may want to mount your tv onto legs to allow for airflow beneath the tv as the heat vents aren't designed to work while it's laid out flat onto a table.

You may also want a sheet of perspex to cover the screen so the screen doesn't get damaged by the miniatures as they are moved across the screens surface.

You can just open a second instance of Fantasy Grounds, drag it onto the tv screen and maximize the window, then connect to the GM instance on your local network.

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2019, 04:53
How did you set up FG for the second screen? Are you opening a second instance of FG as a player for only mapping? Do you stretch FG the window to include the TV?
One computer which runs the GM instance and a second instance (connecting to the GM using a server address of localhost ). Then I share the map to the player instance and I can use masking etc. to reveal what I want.

I'd recommend getting a perspex insert for the screen if you intend to use anything on the screen (I'd recommend it anyway, in case you drop something on it).

I also added a wooden surround to stop dice rolling underneath. I've added a couple of small USB powered fans to this to get some airflow - the TV has a USB port so the fans are powered from that.

For TV size I got a 48" screen - basically as this allows me to display Paizo flip-mats (I play a lot of Paizo games and love the flip-mats) which are 24 inches wide. This is also just about the maximum size that I can easily carry around.

zuilin
February 21st, 2020, 23:55
Not working for me. The extension is installed and when I type /tvsize 32 1080 the chat window just accepts it. When I click the resize button you've added the chat window says: Cannot find TV size set in database...

It's like it won't take my settings. My TV is 32" and it's a 1080 screen.

Help?

FYI: Second instance of FG running as PlayerView connected to localhost.

Trenloe
February 22nd, 2020, 07:36
Not working for me. The extension is installed and when I type /tvsize 32 1080 the chat window just accepts it.
Do the chat command on the GM instance.

zuilin
February 22nd, 2020, 07:48
Do the chat command on the GM instance.

Well, I’ll be.

Perfect 1” squares. (I even checked.)

Thanks!

Ckorik
March 8th, 2020, 16:50
This extension causes unity to no longer display the toolbar unless the map is made a background image - turning the extension off allows the map toolbar to work in smaller floating windows again. Just a heads up.

Trenloe
March 8th, 2020, 17:03
This extension causes unity to no longer display the toolbar unless the map is made a background image - turning the extension off allows the map toolbar to work in smaller floating windows again. Just a heads up.
Thanks for the heads up. At this point this extension is for FG Classic only. I have little intention to look into updating it for FG Unity until Unity actually releases.

Stuggesjoerd
July 2nd, 2020, 11:11
it seems to crash with certain campaigns. Any idea how thats possible?

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2020, 12:20
it seems to crash with certain campaigns. Any idea how thats possible?
More information please.

What version of FG (Unity or Classic)?
What ruleset?
What other extensions are you running?
Exactly what happens?
How big (pixel width x height) are the images that cause the problem?

turdIII
July 12th, 2020, 21:13
New here, wondering if anyone is aware of something like this that will work in FGU? Thanks!

Trenloe
July 13th, 2020, 05:10
Welcome to the FG forums turdIII!

New here, wondering if anyone is aware of something like this that will work in FGU? Thanks!
Updated the extension to v3.3.6 for testing in FGU. I don't use FGU for anything other than testing, so not sure how well this works with the in-depth image functionality. Please try the new v3.3.6 extension in post #1.

turdIII
August 4th, 2020, 20:49
Updated the extension to v3.3.6 for testing in FGU. I don't use FGU for anything other than testing, so not sure how well this works with the in-depth image functionality. Please try the new v3.3.6 extension in post #1.

Thanks, Trenloe! Didn't get a chance to test this out until today, but it works wonderfully so far (as far as I can tell; I haven't attempted anything 'advanced' as I am a fairly new FG user). It will definitely make map use more seamless for my games, thanks again!

Trenloe
August 4th, 2020, 20:52
Thanks, Trenloe! Didn't get a chance to test this out until today, but it works wonderfully so far (as far as I can tell; I haven't attempted anything 'advanced' as I am a fairly new FG user). It will definitely make map use more seamless for my games, thanks again!
Great! Thanks for giving it a test run. :)

Chris103
August 7th, 2020, 13:56
OK so FACE TO FACE SATURDAY WITH A NEW TABLE!!!!!!! I am psyked! This extension looks perfect but I have a question because I have never done this

It may be stupid but here goes...

1)I set it up on the DM's computer correct?
2)When I display the map however do I display it in a dummy player account?

(I'll probably just use a Laptop for the DM at the table and my desktop for the dummy player account. I know I can split them but the desktop is right by the table so I feel this will be easiest. Newbie here to this so please let me know

A completely different follow up question

Ahead of time can I adjust and resize all my maps to my dummy player account, and then when I share them as a DM have them just pop right how I want them

Thank you in advance this extension looks awesome and a ton of work!

Trenloe
August 7th, 2020, 14:17
OK so FACE TO FACE SATURDAY WITH A NEW TABLE!!!!!!! I am psyked! This extension looks perfect but I have a question because I have never done this

It may be stupid but here goes...

1)I set it up on the DM's computer correct?
2)When I display the map however do I display it in a dummy player account?

(I'll probably just use a Laptop for the DM at the table and my desktop for the dummy player account. I know I can split them but the desktop is right by the table so I feel this will be easiest. Newbie here to this so please let me know

A completely different follow up question

Ahead of time can I adjust and resize all my maps to my dummy player account, and then when I share them as a DM have them just pop right how I want them

Thank you in advance this extension looks awesome and a ton of work!
FGC or FGU?
What license do you have?

I normally just display it as a second instance on the same computer. You'll want to have access to it from a computer to do the resizing and closing of older maps.

Chris103
August 7th, 2020, 14:30
FGC or FGU?
What license do you have?

I normally just display it as a second instance on the same computer. You'll want to have access to it from a computer to do the resizing and closing of older maps.

I actually have both my preferred is FGU as I would like to have LOS but Im fine with plain FGC as I read in a post you have not optimized it for FGU yet but if FGU handles it that would be great.

OK when you say two instances on the same machine...I still log in as DM and then as a player. I just want to be sure FGU does not allow double accounts still right (i know there was discussion about adding this, atleast with FGU)

then I guess I would have to change display settings to run two different monitors...Split screen I think? I'll be using my PC now if that is the case my Macbook pro has a tough time running 1 instance of the program

Also thank you for the quick response

Trenloe
August 7th, 2020, 14:37
In windows terms you "extend" your desktop to the second monitor.

FGU doesn't allow double accounts, but only for connecting from another computer. But if you connect from the same computer it's OK.

Chris103
August 7th, 2020, 15:02
So by your response Trenloe can I use FGU?

Trenloe
August 7th, 2020, 15:10
So by your response Trenloe can I use FGU?
See my response in post #109, and the feedback from a GM using in in the post immediately after.

the_ghostboy
September 4th, 2021, 13:21
Hi, have just tried Trenloe’s extension and it’s giving me some trouble. Hope this is the right place to ask about it.

When I scale the map up to one inch size, the window containing the map scales with it, so becomes massive. In this particular instance it’s the Sunless Citadel fortress level, so not a small map.

The problem is. The map window becomes so big that my laptop starts to struggle a s I can’t navigate around it. Can I lock the size of the window in place and just scale up the map itself?

Trenloe
September 4th, 2021, 14:57
Hi, have just tried Trenloe’s extension and it’s giving me some trouble. Hope this is the right place to ask about it.

When I scale the map up to one inch size, the window containing the map scales with it, so becomes massive. In this particular instance it’s the Sunless Citadel fortress level, so not a small map.

The problem is. The map window becomes so big that my laptop starts to struggle a s I can’t navigate around it. Can I lock the size of the window in place and just scale up the map itself?
Yep, this is the right place to ask about the extension.

It's by design that the image is maximised. You can't lock the window. You can hold down the CTRL key and then left-click and drag within the image window to resize the window after scaling to one-inch per grid square - you may need to lock the image just once the first time it's opened to allow CTRL resize, then you can unlock if needed.