PDA

View Full Version : A better way to store images?

jasonthelamb
August 28th, 2016, 14:43
I was just wondering if the images were just a one-layer folder - or if there was a way, like the tokens, to split them up. After using the program for so long, I figured I'd ask and see if anyone found a way to separate images by what they are (Maps, Character Images, Scenes, etc.).

Mask_of_winter
August 28th, 2016, 14:59
Right-click on tab, create tab.

jasonthelamb
August 28th, 2016, 15:02
Does this create folders in the image directory? Or do you drag-and-drop images between tabs?

Mask_of_winter
August 28th, 2016, 15:07
You have to drag-and-drop images between tabs.

jasonthelamb
August 28th, 2016, 15:29
Thank you very much mask!

Mask_of_winter
August 28th, 2016, 15:37
No problem. And if you want to name those tabs, type it up in the chat window but don't hit enter. Drag the text and drop it on the tab to give it a title.

LordEntrails
August 29th, 2016, 05:10
Yep, they all get saved in one folder, and I'm 90% certain you can't use sub-folders. I do believe (75% confident) that if you have a tab active when you then select the images folder, that the image will be placed into that tab by default and you won't have to drag to the "correct" tab.

Andraax
August 29th, 2016, 13:40
You can put images in subfolders, but they all still show up in the main tab (unless you move them manually to other tabs...)

Trenloe
August 29th, 2016, 16:05
Yep, they all get saved in one folder, and I'm 90% certain you can't use sub-folders.
Having sub-directories appears to "work" in most cases (as Andraax says, the images are all put into the same tab it doesn't introduce new categories into FG), but it is not by design. When I mentioned this to the devs at Gen Con they were quite surprised that it works - so it's basically unsupported. The main issue you're going to have with using sub-directories within the campaign \images directory is that you should only do this when FG is not running that campaign otherwise the FG images database for that campaign could get corrupted as FG sees images being removed and new ones appearing as they are moved between sub-directories. FG references campaign images by file location and file name, if you start moving those around once an image is in FG then the reference to the old image location will be removed, effectively deleting it from the FG database and breaking any pushpin links, encounter token placement, tokens already placed on the map, etc.. Moving or renaming the image file doesn't move all the FG data associated with it - so be very aware that messing around with the image files in your campaign can break what you've already setup. Do you renaming and categorisation within FG.

LordEntrails
August 30th, 2016, 19:02
... The main issue you're going to have with using sub-directories within the campaign \images directory is that you should only do this when FG is not running that campaign otherwise the FG images database for that campaign could get corrupted as FG sees images being removed and new ones appearing as they are moved between sub-directories. FG references campaign images by file location and file name, if you start moving those around once an image is in FG then the reference to the old image location will be removed, effectively deleting it from the FG database and breaking any pushpin links, encounter token placement, tokens already placed on the map, etc....

I did this, ONCE :)

Yuki-God
October 16th, 2016, 05:07
Thank you all for this. I took way toooo long for me to find out how to do that <3

LordEntrails
October 16th, 2016, 05:40
Thank you all for this. I took way toooo long for me to find out how to do that <3
Welcome Yuki-God. enjoy the community and always happy to have another member :)