PDA

View Full Version : Sharing another cool looking Kickstarter!

spite
August 28th, 2016, 00:59
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamenatural/hunters-mark-long-live-the-hunt-new-5e-options

This is a kickstarter offering a pretty cool take on monster hunting and boss fighting with some cool new options.
They offer a FG level at $30 but I've been talking with the KS runners and they said if they can get enough interest in a FG only reward level then they will put in a $15 dollar FG content (no PDF) level in.
All we need is 10 people backing for $1 each and they'll chuck it in (you can then back at the $15 FG level).
I'm keen for this so if anyone else likes the look of this for 15 bucks you should def make it happen!

EDIT: I am not involved in the creation of this KS, but I am super keen to get FG at a better price for us FG users!

kylania
August 28th, 2016, 14:00
Pledged for $1. Having an All PDFs and FG would be a good thing, it's confusing since each level listed has wildly different rewards. Like, how do you get the Guild Guide PDF if you pledge the $30 FG level? What they need is a Softcover + all PDFs + FG level or make FG a $15 add on option.

Seya
August 29th, 2016, 01:22
Thanks picked it up

spite
August 29th, 2016, 11:04
They have added in fg as an optional addons for 15 to existing pledges and a 15 dollar lebelieve that gets you hunters mark and bounty book. Not sure about guild quests but this is great for now.

kylania
August 29th, 2016, 15:50
Yup, fully pledged now! That's for the heads up, this has some really interesting concepts in it and in line with what some of my players had been interested in.

Kitilark
September 2nd, 2016, 22:59
Thanks for the research and please keep us informed.

Myrdin Potter
September 3rd, 2016, 04:17
It appears that $15 is just one book and you need $30 for both.

spite
September 3rd, 2016, 05:35
https://puu.sh/qY9aU/fb58e02c09.png

I've asked for clarification, because their campaign is at odds with their comment in the questions.

Zacchaeus
September 3rd, 2016, 09:38
I actually read this as you'd need to pledge $55 to get everything. There appears to be three books The Hunter's Mark, The Bounty Book and the Guild Guide. And having the adventures in the Hunter's Mark and the maps in The Bounty Book means that the pledge would be $30 at least if it's to useful for FG.

Myrdin Potter
September 3rd, 2016, 14:08
They seem to be unproven with several started but failed kickstarters in the past and want as much or more money for the FG files than many established companies have asked for as much or more pages of product. I was initially interested but decided to pass. The idea looks interesting, but not $30 or more interesting.

spite
September 3rd, 2016, 21:26
Im waiting on their clarification on whether or not the 15 comes with the two main pdfs (guild is mostly premades and pets). If it's only the one then I too might even bow out at that price range.

EDIT: They have now clarified that the 15 dollar fantasy ground level is only the base Hunter's Mark and have fixed the campaign notes to reflect this.
That's a shame. I've not got the inclination for that at that price myself either ><

Trenloe
September 3rd, 2016, 22:26
Yeah, you've got to go to $30 to get both books in FG format, that includes the two books in PDF. Might be quite useful if the bounties in the bounty book (now with 12 extra due to stretch goals) are re-usable and the maps are half decent.

spite
September 3rd, 2016, 23:28
I've changed my backing to the PDFs >.< I am no stranger to par5e and being a poor student I have time more than money :P

Myrdin Potter
September 5th, 2016, 16:50
I have an issue with first time publishers with several failed/cancelled Kickstarters asking for so much for their first project.

I'll pass on giving them a free advance this time. Can always buy the product later if it is good.

Game Natural
September 6th, 2016, 21:04
This is Gary, creator of the Hunters Mark kickstarter. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

spite
September 6th, 2016, 22:22
G'day Gary. If one only gets the content for the Hunter's Mark PDF, is that going to be complete enough to run a game with? I see the bounty book has the handouts, maps, and quest content and worry that it'd be entirely necessary to run Hunter's Mark.

Game Natural
September 7th, 2016, 00:05
You can absolutely run Hunters Mark with just the Hunters Mark pdf. The Bounty Book is there to help a DM with visual handouts. Completely optional.

Also to confirm, Hunters Mark and Fantasy Grounds have a content agreement so Hunters Mark will be here on the site if you decide to skip the kickstarter and pick it up later.

Myrdin Potter
September 7th, 2016, 00:30
VTT like Fantasy Ground are a very visual experience. What you think are optional handouts are much more in demand when you play via FG.

As I said above, I have an issue with a new team and $30 or more. When the Kickstarter closes and there are reviews I will consider it.

Game Natural
September 7th, 2016, 04:18
No, I get what you are saying. But as a VTT user myself, I can say that the Bounty Book is optional. If it was critical it would be in the core book/Pdf.

I am confused on the new team statement. We are all industry vets. I've worked on over 60 games myself and been involved in game kickstarters both as project lead and producer. If you are curious on previous canceled kickstarters I can tell you you the reason - critical mass. A kickstarter that doesn't fund in a week most likely won't. It happens. You pull the plug so that the backers themselves don'the slog thru 30 days of painful waiting and frustration.

And the good news is, that Hunters Mark is funded and it is going to be released on fantasy grounds. People are supporting it and it is awesomer because of it.

Myrdin Potter
September 7th, 2016, 05:11
Because if I look at the team behind the Kickstarter, there are only failed ones. This would be the first that will succeed. If I look through the actual Kickstarter text, who is on the team and what successful projects they have done is not listed. If I go to the website, there is a pitch to buy a subscription but no more details.

So in this case I am fine to wait until it hits "retail" and there are reviews.

It is just my opinion. The project funded and I did not say it was bad. I just said to commit $30 to it is not something I want to do right now and there is nothing in the Kickstarter itself that contradicts me, just your post above. Maybe that should be featured down below in your Kickstarter where you assure people that you will complete the project.

I personally have over 35 years of experience with D&D and I have had things published in the past, including shareware in the early days when it just started. I have written thousands of pages. I have never done a Kickstarter or a book from start to finish so my experience sounds good, but there is nothing to back it up for people to send me their money.

I wish you the best and hope you hit all your stretch targets and the project is good and more people notice you for the next one. Funding is great, many do not. Congrats.

drakonin
September 7th, 2016, 15:42
@Gary
I like the transform mechanic, but as a DM I am worried about how the crits be handled on FG. Do you have a solution in place for the critical damage changes?

spite
September 8th, 2016, 00:01
@Gary
I like the transform mechanic, but as a DM I am worried about how the crits be handled on FG. Do you have a solution in place for the critical damage changes?

I imagine you'd just be able to have an effect on your sheet that adds whatever dice your weapon has as its secondary to your DMG, then roll damage as normal.
IE: effect: Combo; DMG: 1d10 bludgeoning; and when you roll damage on your 1d8 weapon damage die, it will roll both at once.

drakonin
September 9th, 2016, 14:04
I imagine you'd just be able to have an effect on your sheet that adds whatever dice your weapon has as its secondary to your DMG, then roll damage as normal.
IE: effect: Combo; DMG: 1d10 bludgeoning; and when you roll damage on your 1d8 weapon damage die, it will roll both at once.

I understand how to add the damage but that will roll critical damage as well.

spite
September 10th, 2016, 00:09
I suppose you could untarget the creature before rolling and then drag it on. But yea, it'd be nice for it to *just* work