PDA

View Full Version : Open Character Creation for new season

Brynnan
August 27th, 2016, 07:13
In order to help people get ready for the new Adventurers League Season 5, Storm King's Thunder, I've opened up my Fantasy Grounds server and will leave it running all weekend so that people without the PHB and other books can create characters at their leisure. I have all legal sources available. Feel free to log on and work on your own characters for online play, or just sit and chat, helping others or learning the program throughout the weekend. I will be available off and on answering questions. I have the Ultimate License so any license can join.

My Fantasy Grounds server is located at "meek turret puny quill"

You may also join my Teamspeak Channel to ask questions.
Server: ts.fg-con.com
Server Password: Dungeoneers
Channel: DM Brynnan

Sildanis Kimetry
August 27th, 2016, 08:29
Brynnan, this was awesome and helped out a lot. Being able to drag and drop form the PHB makes it all a snap. The instructions you wrote on export and import worked like a champ and I now have my character to use in adventurers league games on FG! :)

Sildanis Kimetry
August 27th, 2016, 17:55
I hope more folks are taking advantage of this. If you don't have the full PHB this is a great opportunity.

Sildanis Kimetry
August 29th, 2016, 02:31
I hope everyone is using this great opportunity.

Tabarkus
August 29th, 2016, 03:23
Will the EE Companion be available for use this coming season? I am hoping to pilfer some flavorful druid spells from this book.

Brynnan
August 29th, 2016, 03:56
You can use any expansion you want to use, but only one. It's listed in the ALPG as PHB+1. So, yes, you can choose to have the EE as your +1, but doing so keeps you from using SCAG. For details you can see the ALPG 5.1 (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/190680&affiliate_id=925821)

Fatherdeath
August 29th, 2016, 07:42
Crap
I was thinking of making a character for this but am new to AL and missed out on this...

Brynnan
August 29th, 2016, 19:15
Just let me know when you would liek to do it. I don't mind opening up my server if I'm not playing. It doesn't take much resources running in the background.

Fatherdeath
August 29th, 2016, 21:41
Im free most days... off work do to accident... have made a few 5e char. but i noticed al is alittle different and more to keep track of

Wraths
August 30th, 2016, 00:52
could you possibly allow me to do this as well? im new to D&D adventures league and need to make a character and possibly be told about the things that are different then D&D 5th.

Brynnan
August 30th, 2016, 07:16
My server is back up for the time being.

Fatherdeath
August 30th, 2016, 20:35
I was in this morning and created a character but would like to go over it and have a few questions when you get the chance

TurtleWrites
August 30th, 2016, 21:50
Thanks a bunch for doing this, was super helpful.

CrawlingChaox
August 31st, 2016, 14:02
I have a license and the material, but you're doing Mystra's work Brynnan.

Brynnan
August 31st, 2016, 18:41
I hope to sit own and create MY Season 5 character sometime. lol.

I might try my hand at a Svirfneblin Assassin. What do you think?

Aldente
August 31st, 2016, 19:47
I hope to sit own and create MY Season 5 character sometime. lol.

I might try my hand at a Svirfneblin Assassin. What do you think?

I'm playing a Svirfneblin shadow monk, and he's tons of fun. A Svirfneblin assassin should be awesome!

GunnarGreybeard
September 1st, 2016, 16:01
Not an Adventurers League player but great seeing someone step up and do this for people who are interested in it.

Brynnan
September 2nd, 2016, 05:15
Not an Adventurers League player but great seeing someone step up and do this for people who are interested in it.

Hey thanks. Love Fantasy Grounds. I grew into AL trying to find games to play. My first foray into FG was a homebrew campaign I created called "Worlds Apart" and played the first chapter, "For Want of a Quill" until we ran into summer and took a break. So AL filled the summer for me.

rgaynor72
September 3rd, 2016, 14:58
I would be interested in playing in a Week Day Evening Eastern Time Adventurers league game. Are you running a game?

Edgertite
September 4th, 2016, 03:41
Hello, I would love having some help setting up a Character AL legal, and getting general advice on playing better as a player, and how to find a group to join. I am new to TRPG, and have only ever been in 4 games of uncoordinated players with learning DM's and really just don't understand what to do. I have read most of the PHB, DMG, SCAG, and Unearthed Arcane.
Thanks!
Thomas

Aldente
September 4th, 2016, 04:13
Hello, I would love having some help setting up a Character AL legal, and getting general advice on playing better as a player, and how to find a group to join. I am new to TRPG, and have only ever been in 4 games of uncoordinated players with learning DM's and really just don't understand what to do. I have read most of the PHB, DMG, SCAG, and Unearthed Arcane.
Thanks!
Thomas

Welcome to the Boards, Thomas!

If our timezones work out (I'm Eastern timezone), I'd be happy to help you create a character. I can host a session of FG and have you log into it while we chat over Skype or one of the other voice options. I have all of the published books in FG. Just send me a private message here on the FG boards if you're interested.

In terms of advice on becoming a more confident player, I'd suggest that you sign up for one of the Adventurers League games on ALOnlineTools.net. The new season just started and the the first modules are getting released on Tuesday, so it's perfect timing to get involved, but I haven't yet seen any FG games scheduled. I'm sure they'll be going up soon. If you sign up and then email the DM well ahead of time to let him or her know that you're a newer player, you should get a good response. DMs generally want to be helpful to ensure that folks have a good time. I think this is one of those activities for which practice is really the best way to learn.

Cheers!

Edgertite
September 4th, 2016, 11:19
Thanks :) I was just watching the last part of Person of Interest, and got inspired to use it as a basis for my character. Theme of Good guy who is trying to dicede if he should give up on his personal rules (moral code).
"So now I have to decide. Decide wether to let my friends die, to let hope die, to let the world be ground under your heel all because I play by my rules.I’m trying to decide. ... I’m going to kill you, but I need to decide how far I am willing to go – how many of my own rules I am willing to break to get it done."-Person of Interest Season 5 episode 11

I don't know if I will have time tomorrow, today... whatever it is for you. but I will have time my Monday at 11:15am for sure. US PASIFIC time. Thank you!

Aldente
September 4th, 2016, 13:28
Thanks :) I was just watching the last part of Person of Interest, and got inspired to use it as a basis for my character. Theme of Good guy who is trying to dicede if he should give up on his personal rules (moral code).
"So now I have to decide. Decide wether to let my friends die, to let hope die, to let the world be ground under your heel all because I play by my rules.I’m trying to decide. ... I’m going to kill you, but I need to decide how far I am willing to go – how many of my own rules I am willing to break to get it done."-Person of Interest Season 5 episode 11

I don't know if I will have time tomorrow, today... whatever it is for you. but I will have time my Monday at 11:15am for sure. US PASIFIC time. Thank you!

Great! Monday will work perfectly. 11:15 your time is 2:15 my time. I'll send you a PM with the relevant information. And that sounds like great inspiration for your character! Many ways to develop that over the course of the season.

Cheers!

Brynnan
September 7th, 2016, 04:09
I would be interested in playing in a Week Day Evening Eastern Time Adventurers league game. Are you running a game?

I do run games yes. I haven't scheduled any for Season 5 yet because it's just now getting going. You can find mine and others schedules on ALOnlineTools.net (https://www.alonlinetools.net). Games are listed under real names and mine is Bryan Britt. But all of the DMs I've played for on there have been great, so pick any games that fit your time slot.

Sildanis Kimetry
September 8th, 2016, 03:38
Brynnan, I have two characters. One I created for CoS and the other I created for SKT. I then did DM Quests and got the boots and 3000 xp. I looked around and it is confusing. Can I put the boots on one character and XP on the other? Can I sat add 600 xp from the pool to 300 the character has and make that character level 3? If it is the CoS character?
Also, it looks like I will be DMing at a brick n mortar so how do I record my DM time? An adventurers log sheet?

Brynnan
September 8th, 2016, 19:41
Brynnan, I have two characters. One I created for CoS and the other I created for SKT. I then did DM Quests and got the boots and 3000 xp. I looked around and it is confusing. Can I put the boots on one character and XP on the other? Can I sat add 600 xp from the pool to 300 the character has and make that character level 3? If it is the CoS character?
Also, it looks like I will be DMing at a brick n mortar so how do I record my DM time? An adventurers log sheet?

Couple of things here. You cannot split A SINGLE DM REWARD between characters. But you can split DM Rewards from each quest to whatever character you want. Where did the 3000 XP come from? I assume you mean the Boots of the Winterlands.... Also, keep in mind that the Boots can only be given to a new character, as in one that has never adventured before (Although it could have XP from, say, other DM Quests).

Let me know the breakdown of the 3000XP.

I use the DM Adventure log on ALOnlinetools.net (https://alonlinetools.net), but you can just paper also.

Sildanis Kimetry
September 9th, 2016, 07:55
Ok. I got the boots of winterlands for doing the "Initiate" quest adn gave them to the newly made 1st level cleric for SKT. I got 500 X 3 for doing the Ritual of Divination (G+, Facebook and Twitter) and 500 x 3 for the Ritual of Scrying (G+, Facebook and Twitter). So, I added 1000 to the level 2 Cleric from CoS and got him to level 3 at 1300 points from one quest leaving 500 from that quest to remain (for this character or any?). That leaves 1500 for the other quest for whatever. That is what it seems like so far. I guess what I am asking is cna I use those 500 points individually or is it the whole 1500?
I am scheduled to DM next week at a brick and mortar so I will start working the first timer quest. :) Does this all jive?

Nate Grey
September 9th, 2016, 09:12
I had assumed the Rituals of Divination and Scrying were separate instances of 500xp. (I don't have Twitter myself so that one would be separate if I ever sign up.)

Since it's been brought up (and pardon me for contributing to OT) I was curious about Ethereal and Quest of the Week myself. Would the multiplier have to be logged and spent together with the base reward or as separate quest entries?