PDA

View Full Version : Storm King's Thunder module for Fantasy Grounds now available

Brynnan
August 26th, 2016, 05:30
The Storm King's Thunder module (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5ESKT) is now available on the Fantasy Grounds website and on Steam. It will be coming to DMsGuild shortly.

It costs $34.95 and if you have or get the Complete D&D Bundle, you will automatically get 25% off that.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5ESKT

Gwydion
August 26th, 2016, 06:06
Awesome! Just purchased. If only I had time to jump into it! Can't wait.

GunnarGreybeard
August 26th, 2016, 06:18
Wow, that was quick. Storm King's Thunder hard copy isn't even out yet is it?

Brynnan
August 26th, 2016, 06:25
Your Friendly Local Game Store (FLGS) can sell the hardcover tomorrow (Friday, Aug 26th) they are a WPN Core Store and if they have received them. Otherwise, it will be out September 6th. But the stores have an Introductory Adventure which is Chapter 1 of the hardcover called A Great Upheaval available for store play tomorrow. Catch that if you can, because they should of gotten an email today with some pretty spiffy news and a packet of special certs that will only be available in the stores for this intro.

Brynnan
August 26th, 2016, 06:26
Awesome! Just purchased. If only I had time to jump into it! Can't wait.

You beat me. I have to wait for Steam because that's where my Complete D&D Bundle is.

Scratch that, it's now available on Steam.

ddavison
August 26th, 2016, 06:28
I'm guessing that some WPN stores stay open for a sale at midnight, but I don't know for sure if this is done or not. Does anyone know if their local FLGS does this? That is the beauty of digital. It's August 26th for us now.

ddavison
August 26th, 2016, 06:29
You beat me. I have to wait for Steam because that's where my Complete D&D Bundle is.

It is on Steam now as well. Steam removed the restriction where we could only launch titles when Valve employees were available.

Brynnan
August 26th, 2016, 06:55
It is on Steam now as well. Steam removed the restriction where we could only launch titles when Valve employees were available.

It became available on the FG website at Midnight Eastern Time, since I guess they are Eastern. But it was not yet available on Steam. Maybe it became available on Steam at Midnight Local time (Central for me)

Any clue when it will hit DMsGuild?

I don't know of any FLGS that would stay open for a D&D Midnight release, but they certainly do for Magic the Gathering.

spite
August 26th, 2016, 07:01
It became available on the FG website at Midnight Eastern Time, since I guess they are Eastern. But it was not yet available on Steam. Maybe it became available on Steam at Midnight Local time (Central for me)

Any clue when it will hit DMsGuild?

I don't know of any FLGS that would stay open for a D&D Midnight release, but they certainly do for Magic the Gathering.

I have already completed the bundle on steam. Maybe check again? I did it around 30minutes ago

damned
August 26th, 2016, 07:05
I'm guessing that some WPN stores stay open for a sale at midnight, but I don't know for sure if this is done or not. Does anyone know if their local FLGS does this? That is the beauty of digital. It's August 26th for us now.

So slow... the 26th is almost over here!

Brynnan
August 26th, 2016, 07:08
Yeah, it popped up on Steam already. and I clicked the "Recomplete my bundle" lol.

Haven't seen it on DMsGuild yet though.

Brynnan
August 26th, 2016, 07:10
So slow... the 26th is almost over here!

Yeah, we have an LC in New Zealand and he's been playing the hardcover all day and bragging.

MarianDz
August 26th, 2016, 12:28
D&D Storm King's Thunder
On first picture (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/screenshots/Screenshots/WOTC5ESKT/StormKingThunder_Screenshot04.jpg) in product details I sees "Giant runes".
And my question is "Isn't possible to have this runes as chat text Giantish language?"
It can be cool, has runes for giants as we have now for Elves, Dwarves, Draconic, Infernal, Primordial, Celestial and Common too.
Which WotC released for Ultimate owners and their WotC Adventure owners, if I remember good. :confused:

Zacchaeus
August 26th, 2016, 12:54
No, there isn't any Giant Runes language chat text. The runes aren't a language but refer to certain things which I won't discuss here.

MarianDz
August 26th, 2016, 13:07
thank you Zacchaeus for response

Nylanfs
August 26th, 2016, 13:11
No, there isn't any Giant Runes language chat text. The runes aren't a language but refer to certain things which I won't discuss here.

Well we could tell them, but then the WotC hit squads would have to be sent out.

Aldente
August 26th, 2016, 15:51
Grabbed the FG mod this morning then promptly went to work. SO HARD TO FOCUS NOW...

Trenloe
August 26th, 2016, 16:03
And my question is "Isn't possible to have this runes as chat text Giantish language?"
It can be cool, has runes for giants as we have now for Elves, Dwarves, Draconic, Infernal, Primordial, Celestial and Common too.
You could use the "Giant" font in this extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26775-Expanded-Fantasy-Language-Fonts-(FG-v3-1-3-)

Details of the fonts available in the older thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20332-Tenians-Language-Chat-Extension-for-select-FG-3-0-rulesets

JohnD
August 26th, 2016, 19:11
It is nice to see evolution of how you are putting the adventure together to take into account the online environment instead of simply putting the book into the software. More extensive use of links in entries leading to stuff a DM might logically want easy access to, instead of having to go hunting for the information.

Good stuff.

PotA and the older adventures would benefit greatly from being adjusted in similar fashion IMO.

RagingCeltik
August 26th, 2016, 20:07
I didn't see this on of the promotional material. Does anyone know what the recommended party size for the Storm King campaign is? 4 - 5?

Zacchaeus
August 26th, 2016, 20:36
It's 4 but the more the merrier I think

Brynnan
August 26th, 2016, 21:20
It's listed in the first paragraph as "four to six players. And you can start with 1st-level characeters [with Chapter 1] or 5th-level characers [with Chapter 2]" AL-Legal would be 3-7.

xanstin
August 26th, 2016, 22:06
Will there be any custom decals for STK that will be added? I didn't see the option to enable them in extensions.

Zacchaeus
August 26th, 2016, 22:21
Not that I'm aware of

xanstin
August 26th, 2016, 22:28
That is unfortunate. That has been a nice touch to distinguish campaign feelings on the desktop.

Gwydion
August 26th, 2016, 22:39
A quick shout out to Zacchaeus for what I'm quite certain was a huge lift to get this out to us! In addition, to James Holloway for the QA! And... to everyone else who participated in getting this module to us before the general public release! Can't wait to dive into it. Thanks, everyone!

kylania
August 26th, 2016, 23:23
But the stores have an Introductory Adventure which is Chapter 1 of the hardcover called A Great Upheaval available for store play tomorrow.

Bleh, my local store dropped out of AL since their players got tired of having to start over each season, so no A Great Upheaval nor certs from there.

ddavison
August 27th, 2016, 01:09
That is unfortunate. That has been a nice touch to distinguish campaign feelings on the desktop.

I normally create these. I have been very busy and distracted with a relocation and didn't get around to it this time. I am now physically moved, so I plan to try to knock together a nice decal for it next week and post as an update.

ddavison
August 27th, 2016, 01:26
So ENWorld is now reporting about the Fantasy Grounds availability. If you are one of the many DM's who picked up a copy, you can post your thoughts there.
https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3713-Storm-King-s-Thunder-out-now-for-Fantasy-Grounds#.V8DcFpgrKCg

Additionally, it looks like there is a paid advertisement for the Roll20 version on Geek & Sundry with some open comments available. It claims that the Roll20 version is the best VTT version available and that Roll20 is the best VTT available but asks for comments from people who already have Storm King's Thunder and what their thoughts are. It says "Advertisement" at the top but reads like a review. I'm not sure what to think about that.
https://geekandsundry.com/storm-kings-thunder-and-roll20-get-two-thumbs-up/

JohnD
August 27th, 2016, 01:41
The usual pile of crap from the Roll20 bunch.

timdog88
August 27th, 2016, 01:49
I noticed that as well, although after looking at other articles on the site, I think (hope?) that "advertisement" is referring to the banner above the article, not the article itself. I did think it was a pretty shoddy "review". If you claim that something is "clearly the best", you should back that up with comparisons, not just cheerlead for your personal favorite.

damned
August 27th, 2016, 01:49
So ENWorld is now reporting about the Fantasy Grounds availability. If you are one of the many DM's who picked up a copy, you can post your thoughts there.
https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3713-Storm-King-s-Thunder-out-now-for-Fantasy-Grounds#.V8DcFpgrKCg

Additionally, it looks like there is a paid advertisement for the Roll20 version on Geek & Sundry with some open comments available. It claims that the Roll20 version is the best VTT version available and that Roll20 is the best VTT available but asks for comments from people who already have Storm King's Thunder and what their thoughts are. It says "Advertisement" at the top but reads like a review. I'm not sure what to think about that.
https://geekandsundry.com/storm-kings-thunder-and-roll20-get-two-thumbs-up/

and comments are moderated / require approval...
the advertisement tag is for the ad above the article

El Condoro
August 27th, 2016, 01:55
A quick shout out to Zacchaeus for what I'm quite certain was a huge lift to get this out to us! In addition, to James Holloway for the QA! And... to everyone else who participated in getting this module to us before the general public release! Can't wait to dive into it. Thanks, everyone!

Absolutely! Thank you Zacchaeus for the FG module - what a huge thing it is. Very excited about using this. I have the hard copy on order too. Cheers

spite
August 27th, 2016, 02:38
Quick question, why is it this module and Out of the Abyss dont sort their chapters into collapsible sections like Hoard and POTA does? Is that a design decision?

NotRussellCrowe
August 27th, 2016, 02:38
and comments are moderated / require approval...

I've posted on G&S before and my comments did not require moderation at that time. Maybe a new policy or at the whim of the article's author? I have noticed that G&S articles seem to favour Roll20 over Fantasy Grounds.

One thing I noticed is that Roll20 is selling SKT for $49.99 USD as opposed to it going for $34.99 on Fantasy Grounds. Good deal for us Fantasy Grounds users!

damned
August 27th, 2016, 02:51
Quick question, why is it this module and Out of the Abyss dont sort their chapters into collapsible sections like Hoard and POTA does? Is that a design decision?

Possibly some content done in Par5e and some in FG itself?

I've posted on G&S before and my comments did not require moderation at that time. Maybe a new policy or at the whim of the article's author? I have noticed that G&S articles seem to favour Roll20 over Fantasy Grounds.

One thing I noticed is that Roll20 is selling SKT for $49.99 USD as opposed to it going for $34.99 on Fantasy Grounds. Good deal for us Fantasy Grounds users!

Ive posted on G&S before about FG - never gets published - thats a sure sign of bias.

damned
August 27th, 2016, 02:52
The Author is also a writer on Enworld / Ensider - fortunately Morrus is not as blinkered.

timdog88
August 27th, 2016, 02:55
Ive posted on G&S before about FG - never gets published - thats a sure sign of bias.[/QUOTE]

yea, I've seen enough posts that praise roll20 without even mentioning other vtt's to think that roll20 must be a sponsor of G&S.

xanstin
August 27th, 2016, 03:19
I normally create these. I have been very busy and distracted with a relocation and didn't get around to it this time. I am now physically moved, so I plan to try to knock together a nice decal for it next week and post as an update.

You never disappoint Doug! Excellent customer service!

Zacchaeus
August 27th, 2016, 08:55
[QUOTE=spite;286523]Quick question, why is it this module and Out of the Abyss dont sort their chapters into collapsible sections like Hoard and POTA does? Is that a design decision?[/QUOTE

It's because of the way I do the indexing. It overwrites the par5e output.

spite
August 27th, 2016, 10:02

It's because of the way I do the indexing. It overwrites the par5e output.

Ahhh gotcha. It's not too big a deal, just wondered why the difference from one official adventure to the other.

The tokens arent linked for me though. Can't get it to work

Zacchaeus
August 27th, 2016, 10:19
The tokens arent linked for me though. Can't get it to work

Which tokens aren't linked? Can you expend on the problem?

spite
August 27th, 2016, 12:39
Which tokens aren't linked? Can you expend on the problem?

All the tokens are missing on NPC sheets. They show in the tokens folder but when opening NPC or dragging them to the combat tracker it remains blank.
example on a new campaign with no extensions
https://puu.sh/qQabf/ec7479a773.jpg

EDIT: THIS is not Storm King's Thunder. It's tome of beasts that isn't tokening correctly. Ignore me it's late >.<

spite
August 27th, 2016, 12:40
derp thats the Tome of beasts. Hold on

Gwydion
August 27th, 2016, 17:08

Yes, and given I already had the complete bundle, adding SKT was $24.26 for me! :D

Thanks, Doug! You guys rock!

JohnD
August 27th, 2016, 18:40
But... but... but... it's free! [/ragequit]

Good pricing for a new release, before most stores and even online stores have it.

gqwebb
August 28th, 2016, 05:22
You never disappoint Doug! Excellent customer service!

Yes, missing a good matching decal design set. Thanks Doug

gqwebb
August 28th, 2016, 05:26
Yes, and given I already had the complete bundle, adding SKT was $24.26 for me! :D

Thanks, Doug! You guys rock!

Yea agreed , and I am not sure how much amazon will hit me up for when it ships. I love this wpn release date.

kylania
August 28th, 2016, 13:51
Yea agreed , and I am not sure how much amazon will hit me up for when it ships. I love this wpn release date.

That's the best thing about pre-orders from Amazon. You get the lowest price it's been at from when you pre-ordered. I'm already saving $20 off my hardcover, something the FLGS isn't able to do for me. Toss in release-day free shipping and having to wait an extra week was worth it.

ddavison
August 28th, 2016, 17:38
We have a thread here on ENWorld talking about the claim from the G+S review. I've posted my thoughts -- perhaps a bit harshly -- and the author has responded with some discussion points. I think it might be worth discussing it in detail there as opposed to here since the author is engaged. I think it would be interesting to know if the author or G+S receives any sponsorship from Roll20 and about who actually does the moderation. It could all be completely above board and just a coincidence that comments never get published about FG over there. At least the author is engaging and seems genuine from the comments he posted on ENWorld.

https://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?494207-Geek-amp-Sundry-SKT-is-the-best-5E-adventure-yet/page3&p=6976421#post6976421

JohnD
August 28th, 2016, 19:24
Any fool can publish a blog unfortunately.

Redemption77
August 28th, 2016, 19:28
Sadly this is true John, but when that blog is published as a legitimate review WAYYYYY too many people who dont do their own critical thinking buy into it as a legitimate source of information. The author of the reviews reply to Doug stating he wasnt sure why Doug needed to reply because he didnt criticize Fantasy Grounds was just ludicrous. He obviously realized he was tossing a whole lot of shade towards Roll20s competitor. Im curious what deal he has running with Roll20.

JohnD
August 28th, 2016, 21:04
Sadly this is true John, but when that blog is published as a legitimate review WAYYYYY too many people who dont do their own critical thinking buy into it as a legitimate source of information. The author of the reviews reply to Doug stating he wasnt sure why Doug needed to reply because he didnt criticize Fantasy Grounds was just ludicrous. He obviously realized he was tossing a whole lot of shade towards Roll20s competitor. Im curious what deal he has running with Roll20.

Agree completely. Not sure what can be done about it though.

If there's payola behind the scenes, dude's under no obligation to make that known, or be factual/legitimate/balanced with his paid for opinion masquerading as a "review"..

Redemption77
August 28th, 2016, 21:07
No, you're right, hes not under any obligation to disclose that info. Ethically if putting up your "review" anywhere its read by the consumer market at large and especially in a place where the target consumer base often stops then he should. Then again ethics dont seem to be important things these days among people.

JohnD
August 28th, 2016, 21:57
We agree yet again. :)

damned
August 28th, 2016, 23:01
You dont have to be paid to put up a one sided review! Im one sided plenty often when it comes to Fantasy Grounds!

I did post it on G+ and linked in the Blog Author. It was up for a couple of days but he didnt respond. A few others did and the quality of the responses deteriorated so I deleted the post....

gqwebb
August 29th, 2016, 01:34
You dont have to be paid to put up a one sided review! Im one sided plenty often when it comes to Fantasy Grounds!

I did post it on G+ and linked in the Blog Author. It was up for a couple of days but he didnt respond. A few others did and the quality of the responses deteriorated so I deleted the post....

Ahh, It is just good to be among the right minded crowd. Those with critical thinking skill, high IQ's, and who bath regularly. ;)

damned
August 29th, 2016, 02:08
Ahh, It is just good to be among the right minded crowd. Those with critical thinking skill, high IQ's, and who bath regularly. ;)

Every year like clockwork the day before my birthday. Unless i start drinking early and forget...

Koreapsu
August 29th, 2016, 07:40
Every year like clockwork the day before my birthday. Unless i start drinking early and forget...

That's so Australian you could be Prime Minister.

damned
August 29th, 2016, 07:45
That's so Australian you could be Prime Minister.

Just because you won the Bledisloe again... for the 14th year in a row...
Lucky Im more of a League kinda guy...
Anyway - you smell like a brewery too!

Apologies to Koreapsu or anyone else if this came across as ill-mannered - I have a vague recollection he manages a pub... :)

Koreapsu
August 29th, 2016, 11:15
Just because you won the Bledisloe again... for the 14th year in a row...
Lucky Im more of a League kinda guy...
Anyway - you smell like a brewery too!

Apologies to Koreapsu or anyone else if this came across as ill-mannered - I have a vague recollection he manages a pub... :)

Shhh don't apologise. Convicts have great memories from all their time spent inside thinking about stuff.

(Yep I owned a pub - damn good memory!)

Trenloe
August 29th, 2016, 18:49
(Yep I owned a pub - damn good memory!)
He remembers all the useless stuff. ;)

It would be very useful info if you still owned the pub... :D

Brynnan
August 30th, 2016, 07:31
Agree completely. Not sure what can be done about it though.

If there's payola behind the scenes, dude's under no obligation to make that known, or be factual/legitimate/balanced with his paid for opinion masquerading as a "review"..

Actually that's incorrect. The FTC actually REQUIRES bloggers to disclose any financial or other compensation from other companies for reviews or posts. It's the law with a fine for both the reviewer and the sponsor of $11,000 each.

pindercarl
August 30th, 2016, 17:01
Actually that's incorrect. The FTC actually REQUIRES bloggers to disclose any financial or other compensation from other companies for reviews or posts. It's the law with a fine for both the reviewer and the sponsor of $11,000 each.

In this case it would be a gray area. The FTC carves out exceptions for reviewers employed by a 3rd party. For example, a movie reviewer working for a newspaper does not need to disclose whether or not they saw the movie at a free critic screening, or if they paid for the ticket out-of-pocket. The FTC assumes that a reasonable reader would deduce that the reviewer is employed by the paper and is, therefore, not biased by the free movie screening. If the movie review was given a car by the studio, that would be a different story.

JohnD
August 30th, 2016, 18:52
I've seen enough underhanded garbage to be automatically suspicious where it comes to anything Roll20 related. If you clearly have the best product, you don't spend so much time and effort stifling contrary opinions and analysis, or indeed practicing outright censorship on a large and consistent scale as they and their paid/sponsored/advertising dollar recipients do by proxy.

JohnD
August 30th, 2016, 19:06
Bizarre double post. This is a good release. Back on track.

LordEntrails
August 30th, 2016, 19:16
In this case it would be a gray area. The FTC carves out exceptions for reviewers employed by a 3rd party. For example, a movie reviewer working for a newspaper does not need to disclose whether or not they saw the movie at a free critic screening, or if they paid for the ticket out-of-pocket. The FTC assumes that a reasonable reader would deduce that the reviewer is employed by the paper and is, therefore, not biased by the free movie screening. If the movie review was given a car by the studio, that would be a different story.
Don't forget, the FTC only has jurisdiction in the USA. Though I believe the relevant parties are both US entities, one can never assume on the internet.
And finally, and more important, the FTC only pursues issues reported to it of sufficient magnitude and impact that it warrants their interest. Something this would never do.

Talyn
August 30th, 2016, 19:45
While he doesn't state so in the article, in that EN World forum Doug linked, the author specifically stated that Roll20 asked them to review the Roll20 version. He also stated that his personal preference was Roll20 because the UI is simpler to understand and use (and honestly, he has a point there - the UI learning curve is less than what we go through here).

It was a review, not news. A biased review specifically requested by Roll20 so there was never going to be any "here's how STK runs on R20vFG." Bloggers are not journalists and reviews and editorials are not news or even fact-based. Apparently WotC is going to license on d20Pro soon too, so then there will be three commercial VTTs with official 5E content. I doubt you'll see any underpaid and underqualified bloggers "reviewing" on all three.

Nickademus
August 30th, 2016, 20:06
A biased review specifically requested by Roll20 so there was never going to be any "here's how STK runs on R20vFG."

I think this is what is causing the issue. While the article didn't say Roll20 vs. another VTT, it did say Roll20 was the best which is an automatic comparison vs. other VTTs. So indirectly it did compare STK on R20 vs. FG and vs. MapTools and vs. d20Pro. You can't state something as best without putting down the others.

SpiritofFire
August 30th, 2016, 21:12
I think this is what is causing the issue. While the article didn't say Roll20 vs. another VTT, it did say Roll20 was the best which is an automatic comparison vs. other VTTs. So indirectly it did compare STK on R20 vs. FG and vs. MapTools and vs. d20Pro. You can't state something as best without putting down the others.

When I read a review, I expect a comparison between the product being reviewed and its major competitors. An evaluation needs context or a reference point, otherwise it's worthless to me.

What's interesting is the article makes a comparison between Roll20 and paper. The benefits he lists are just basic VTT features, which leads me to believe that he's just comparing VTT to paper and he's just using Roll20 as the VTT representative.

That being said...
The statement: ".. its Roll20 adaptation shows clearly that Roll20 is the best virtual tabletop on the market" really begs the question: "Why?"

It's certainly not "clear" to me, and I don't think the G&S target audience has a lot of experience in Roll20 and the other VTTs on the market to "clearly" see the difference without the help of the author.

Nylanfs
August 31st, 2016, 13:21
Found this tidbit in the G&S forums.

https://forums.geekandsundry.com/discussion/5770/how-would-we-apply-to-get-a-product-review

Mellock
August 31st, 2016, 15:45
Sure, it's a one-sided post, but it's 2016. Anyone and his/her dog can start a blog in 3 simple clicks, and writing a post for your blog really doesn't make anyone an investigative journalist. I wouldn't hold any blogger these days up to the same standard as a conscientious reporter. I'm not too happy, reading it, but I think the situation could be remedied easily by offering the blogger to play in a 2-hour demo adventure on FG. Write something cool, show off FG's features.

I used to do "guided tours" of FG's features in the IRC chatroom that took about 45 minutes plus Q and A afterwards. Most people were so enthousiastic after that FG demo that they wanted to "buy all the things" on the spot. At the conclusion I pointed them to https://rpgvirtualtabletop.wikidot.com/vt-comparison-chart to check out other options if they cared to, but most didn't seem to care about that at the time.

If they still want to play Roll20 after that... hey, it's just one guy with an opinion post on the internet.

kylania
August 31st, 2016, 17:52
That's a truly unhelpful chart. It's years out of date, has no price points, is missing tons of information about each product, is actually completely missing roll20 and has links to only one of the products. It's also horribly clunky HTML and impossible to view properly. :)

Mellock
August 31st, 2016, 18:34
Back then it was pretty good and complete :)

LordEntrails
August 31st, 2016, 18:43
A recently updated (July 2016) chart is here:
https://battlegroundsgames.com/vtt-comparison-chart/

Plus I remember seeing one here or on EN World that Doug was asking for input on (though it might have been for this one).

Mellock
August 31st, 2016, 18:50
Yeah, nowadays I'd point to that one, but the irc channel ceased to exist, and I never got around to updating the tour from DnD 4e. Excuses :p

Nickademus
August 31st, 2016, 21:37
I'm not too happy, reading it, but I think the situation could be remedied easily by offering the blogger to play in a 2-hour demo adventure on FG.

Didn't the author of the G & S article state (on ENWorld) that he/she had used FG for at least 6 months for a game?

LordEntrails
August 31st, 2016, 21:54
Didn't the author of the G & S article state (on ENWorld) that he/she had used FG for at least 6 months for a game?
I only remember seeing that mentioned here in this thread. Don't know if it's a valid statement or not.

Mellock
August 31st, 2016, 21:58
Found it:

That said, I have used Fantasy Grounds extensively. I used it for 6 months to play Princes of the Apocalypse with my group of 5 players before ever using Roll20, and it is my distinct belief that Roll20 is the more user friendly service.

So you have someone on the internet who likes Roll20 better than FG.

Mellock
August 31st, 2016, 22:53
I thought I'd just throw this out there before going to bed: https://forums.geekandsundry.com/categories/op-ed apparently asks for op-ed articles of 500-1000 words. I dunno, perhaps if someone wrote about their FG experience, or even contributed regularly, it could get published? Things like "1001 things I learned DMing on Fantasy Grounds"? Just a wild thought from a tired mind. :)

Myrdin Potter
September 1st, 2016, 05:52
Not sure the fascination with G&S. They don<t really have a consistent focus and are more about their shows, not their written content. Anyone can write a blog, even I do (mgpotter.com).

ddavison
September 1st, 2016, 16:52
I added a decals extension for this and we made some fixes for people who didn't have the Monster Manual module and were not seeing the tokens. Run an update to get the latest release.

Gwydion
September 1st, 2016, 17:00
I added a decals extension for this and we made some fixes for people who didn't have the Monster Manual module and were not seeing the tokens. Run an update to get the latest release.

And the decals look awesome, Doug! Thanks for adding them.

Danimal66
September 1st, 2016, 19:31
Have to say this is one of the best implemented modules for FG I've seen. My main problem is I usually have the actual book to read before running the adventure and this time I don't. My old eyes can't handle squinting to read. :)

Gwydion
September 1st, 2016, 19:50
Have to say this is one of the best implemented modules for FG I've seen. My main problem is I usually have the actual book to read before running the adventure and this time I don't. My old eyes can't handle squinting to read. :)

I hear you on that! I'm sure you know the tricks, but scaleui and some of the font extensions have been huge for my eyes! :)

kylania
September 1st, 2016, 19:58
I hear you on that! I'm sure you know the tricks, but scaleui and some of the font extensions have been huge for my eyes! :)

Trenloe's Reference 11 point font extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25600-Using-FG-at-the-tabletop&p=226590&viewfull=1#post226590) helps a lot too.

Danimal66
September 1st, 2016, 20:28
I actually don't know the tricks and haven't used many extension. Been a pretty by the book user, buy module run it etc. I'll have to do some research. I really want to create my own module based on one I designed called the Scarlet Sisterhood but I really have not found a good point by point written tutorial on making a module from scratch.

Zacchaeus
September 1st, 2016, 20:41
I actually don't know the tricks and haven't used many extension. Been a pretty by the book user, buy module run it etc. I'll have to do some research. I really want to create my own module based on one I designed called the Scarlet Sisterhood but I really have not found a good point by point written tutorial on making a module from scratch.

Try this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices)

Danimal66
September 1st, 2016, 21:50
Try this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices)

Thanks this is a good start but I was looking for a more step by step. Maybe I'll just muddle through and create one as I go.

Totally missed the file attachment on that thread, this is very useful thanks.

Gwydion
September 1st, 2016, 21:55
Got it. If you type /scaleui 120 as an example in the chat window when you have FG launched, it will scale the UI to 120% on your screen. I believe the range is 50-200%, so you can see what works for you. I like the 11 pt font extension kylania mentions above. The "bigfont" extension didn't work as well for me as too much text was getting cut off.

LordEntrails
September 2nd, 2016, 00:34
Thanks this is a good start but I was looking for a more step by step. Maybe I'll just muddle through and create one as I go.

Totally missed the file attachment on that thread, this is very useful thanks.

Yea, there's simple too much info to include in a post. If you come across any spots where something is missing, drop it in that post and I will update teh Word file.

Also, there are some good video tutorials as well that I have heard of and need to link. But haven't gotten there yet. So anyone can add suggestions and I'll put them in the first post and the attachment.

Myrdin Potter
September 2nd, 2016, 02:34
I just went through the process of learning module creation (LordEntrails wrote his excellent guide partially inspired by the type of questions I had, I think, with the main push coming from the fact that he had just learned it himself).

Just try and start a thread like this one:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33525-5e-adventure-creation-learning-by-doing-questions

if you have questions.

Danimal66
September 8th, 2016, 02:58
Question so playing this right now, my PC's each have an NPC to control for Chapter 2. One of the NPC's has mage armor, player wants to cast it on the NPC. How on earth do I cast this or alter the npc's AC in the combat tracker

Gwydion
September 8th, 2016, 03:07
You can create a custom effect. Open effect tab at upper right. Type Mage armor; AC: 2 (or whatever modifier is) and drag onto the NPC in combat tracker.

Trenloe
September 8th, 2016, 03:16
How on earth do I cast this or alter the npc's AC in the combat tracker
Players can't edit/modify NPCs. Use an effect like Gwydion suggests, or ask the GM to modify the NPC in the combat tracker.

Danimal66
September 8th, 2016, 05:17
Players can't edit/modify NPCs. Use an effect like Gwydion suggests, or ask the GM to modify the NPC in the combat tracker.
I was the GM and I tried to increase his AC in the combat tracker but it wouldn't let me.

Trenloe
September 8th, 2016, 05:20
I was the GM and I tried to increase his AC in the combat tracker but it wouldn't let me.
You should absolutely be able to do that. Open the NPC sheet (click on the link in the CT), unlock the record (click the clock icon in the top right) and edit the AC.

EDIT: Or even just click on the AC field directly in the combat tracker to select it and type in the new AC, or hover over the AC field and use CTRL+mouse-wheel to move the number up/down.

Zacchaeus
September 8th, 2016, 11:40
Or, you can add an effect directly into the CT. Click the 'head' icon on the NPC's line of the CT and then the Green '+' button or right click and select 'Add Effect'. Then type in AC:3 into the blank line that appears.

Danimal66
September 8th, 2016, 17:58
Thanks for the tips. I'm finding this a challenging module to GM for someone who isn't a pro with the software. Since I brought my group in from Lost Mine we started in chapter 2 at Triboar and just running that encounter without a battle map was very challenging.

The module says after the encounter to take the NPC's back from the players but I don't see a way how to do this. Is this possible?

Now going into chapter 3 with all the opened ended quests is going to be a bit easier I hope. I probably should of sat on this one until I had a physical copy to read through. My players were anxious and I'm kind of reading a chapter and trying to run it.

Myrdin Potter
September 8th, 2016, 18:04
For a PC, you can edit the name of the person controlling the PC to something other than the user name they use and they no longer have access.

I have not run the module yet (starting to mix it with PoTA starting next week) so I have not done that part yet.

Trenloe
September 8th, 2016, 18:18
The module says after the encounter to take the NPC's back from the players but I don't see a way how to do this. Is this possible?

For a PC, you can edit the name of the person controlling the PC to something other than the user name they use and they no longer have access.
The GM can't edit the owner name of a PC, so this approach isn't possible. If the NPCs have been shared with the players as PCs then the GM can clear the player owner (right-click) on the PC in "Character Selection" and select "Clear Owner", but the player could just go to character selection and select them again - so you'll need to get the GM to own these PCs to block players selecting them. You can use the GM PC Ownership extension for this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?28728-GM-PC-Ownership-Extension (included in the upcoming base v3.2 FG) or quickly login another instance of FG and take ownership of the PC.

Or, if the NPCs were shared as FG Personalities/NPC records then the GM just needs to stop that sharing - click on the (P) or (S) icon to the right of shared NPC to stop the players having access. See an example of these share icons (and some info on them) here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Campaign_Data#Campaign_Data_List

Zacchaeus
September 8th, 2016, 18:27
Yes, you'll want to do the latter thing since these are all NPCs which have been shared. As Trenloe says find them in the NPC list and click on the (S) icon to unshare them.

Danimal66
September 8th, 2016, 19:43
After the session I opened up the NPC menu looking for a P or S and didn't see one. I'll look again tonight. Just to clarify how I shared them I followed the module instructions.

I opened the NPC sheet and then I dragged the shield over the player portrait.

Trenloe
September 8th, 2016, 19:44
After the session I opened up the NPC menu looking for a P or S and didn't see one. I'll look again tonight. Just to clarify how I shared them I followed the module instructions.
Make sure you access the NPC campaign lists - i.e. click the NPC icon on the right side of the desktop, rather than access the NPC lists through the library. You'll be looking for something similar to this:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/images/d/d9/Campaigndata_list.jpg

Danimal66
September 9th, 2016, 03:28
I know you're going to think I'm nuts but I did that, click on the NPC button went and looked at all the NPC's I gave them control over and none of them have a P or S.1523415234

damned
September 9th, 2016, 03:47
Try the other tab?

Danimal66
September 9th, 2016, 04:58
Other tab is empty

Zacchaeus
September 9th, 2016, 08:48
How did you share the NPCs? It doesn't look like they were shared since as you can see there's no indication that any of the NPCs have been shared on the list.

Danimal66
September 10th, 2016, 02:01
How did you share the NPCs? It doesn't look like they were shared since as you can see there's no indication that any of the NPCs have been shared on the list.

I opened up the NPC sheet from the story section in chapter 2, then I dragged the brown shield on the sheet over the PC portrait in the upper left. The players used them for the Attack on Triboar encounter and said they were still in their NPC section when done.

Zacchaeus
September 10th, 2016, 06:00
I opened up the NPC sheet from the story section in chapter 2, then I dragged the brown shield on the sheet over the PC portrait in the upper left. The players used them for the Attack on Triboar encounter and said they were still in their NPC section when done.
So the NPCs should be showing shared and since they clearly are not there is a problem somewhere. Do you use any kind of cloud based back up system? Did you make any other changes to any of the story/NPCs etc and if so do you still see those changes? Did you revert changes on the module? I am grasping at straws somewhat but right now I don't have a satisfactory answer for you.

Nickademus
September 11th, 2016, 00:43
Some methods of sharing are temporary. I believe dragging to a portrait or the chat window will only share until the client is closed and won't have a P or S. I had a module of images that I had to manually use the right-click radial menu to share each image since every game session the players would tell me they had disappeared from their list (I was dragging to the chat window to share).

This might be part of the problem.

Zacchaeus
September 11th, 2016, 14:00
Hmm, I've tried this every which way and it would seem sharing persists. I drag an NPC from SKT and drop on the player portrait; close everything down and reload and the NPC is still shared and appears in he players NPC list. Same if I drop it into chat. Having said that I'm on 3.2 so it may be something which has been 'fixed' (perhaps inadvertently). So to the OP; the only thing I can think of is that your campaign isn't saving properly and that you might have a permissions issue but without further investigation I'm not sure.

Danimal66
September 12th, 2016, 20:48
So to the OP; the only thing I can think of is that your campaign isn't saving properly and that you might have a permissions issue but without further investigation I'm not sure.

Hmm you might be on to something, My players recently always say it takes forever for them to log in to a session. Even though we just played and they should have everything already downloaded. However every session they have to download files. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but I have no idea what. This wasn't an issue until the last month or so. Weird

Zacchaeus
September 12th, 2016, 21:34
It might be an idea for the players to nuke their caches, and you should also check that you don't have tons of tokens in your shared tokens folder. Also make sure that any maps or other items that have been previously shared and are no longer needed are un-shared. Also what modules do you have open and shared with the players at the moment.
You can also test things out in a new campaign to see if the sharing of an NPC persists. (Join your own game with a second instance of FG and join using Localhost, rather than IP or Alias).
If it doesn't then find out where your data is stored (click the folder icon top right of the start up screen) and make sure that it is in a location for which you have full read/write permission. Also make sure that you are not using any kind of cloud based back up on your FG data folders.

Danimal66
September 12th, 2016, 22:11
It might be an idea for the players to nuke their caches, and you should also check that you don't have tons of tokens in your shared tokens folder. Also make sure that any maps or other items that have been previously shared and are no longer needed are un-shared. Also what modules do you have open and shared with the players at the moment.
You can also test things out in a new campaign to see if the sharing of an NPC persists. (Join your own game with a second instance of FG and join using Localhost, rather than IP or Alias).
If it doesn't then find out where your data is stored (click the folder icon top right of the start up screen) and make sure that it is in a location for which you have full read/write permission. Also make sure that you are not using any kind of cloud based back up on your FG data folders.

I had them nuke their cache before last session and they said it took just as long to get in. I didn't think to check the tokens folder but I did for images and maps and got rid of all of those. Right now I believe I have the PHB, DMG and MM plus Storm Kings Thunder shared with them. I'd have to look if there was anything else, I just unshared Lost Mines.

I'll try logging into my own game and see what happens. I'm not using any cloud backup on this machine. I appreciate all the input.

ddavison
September 12th, 2016, 22:44
I had them nuke their cache before last session and they said it took just as long to get in. I didn't think to check the tokens folder but I did for images and maps and got rid of all of those. Right now I believe I have the PHB, DMG and MM plus Storm Kings Thunder shared with them. I'd have to look if there was anything else, I just unshared Lost Mines.

I'll try logging into my own game and see what happens. I'm not using any cloud backup on this machine. I appreciate all the input.

You will want to unshare the DMG and MM. Those modules never need to be shared since you only share info the players need as they encounter those monsters or treasures. For instance, you can still give them items or have them fight the monsters from the MM without the modules being shared. This will greatly improve the time it takes for them to log in as well as improving performance for your systems since it won't be sending out all this unnecessary data to every single connected player.

JohnD
September 12th, 2016, 22:46
Yikes also unshare the modules.

Trenloe
September 12th, 2016, 22:57
Yikes also unshare the modules.
Yup, unshare "Storm Kings Thunder" (and any other adventure modules you've shared), plus the MM and DMG (as ddavison mentions). For library modules just share the PHB and any other players specific resource modules you need to share. During your game manually share individual objects you want to share (maps/images, NPCs, items, story entries, etc.).

Danimal66
September 13th, 2016, 01:41
I was mistaken, I went into my library and modules directory and the only thing that said allow player load was the PHB. So none of those other things were marked like that.

Qoff
September 21st, 2016, 22:10
So I'll start DMing this adventure next week, and I'm reading the module.

I'll start with level 5 characters in Goldenfields, but what is this "Reserves" encounter? 03.06.02 Reserves (30 goblins, 4 Hill giants, 6 Ogres), I didn't saw it in the book, how this encounter is supposed to be used?

Zacchaeus
September 21st, 2016, 22:20
So I'll start DMing this adventure next week, and I'm reading the module.

I'll start with level 5 characters in Goldenfields, but what is this "Reserves" encounter? 03.06.02 Reserves (30 goblins, 4 Hill giants, 6 Ogres), I didn't saw it in the book, how this encounter is supposed to be used?

Read 03.06.00 for the total numbers of the attackers and how they deploy, and then read 03.06.02 which tells you what happens next - particularly the paragraphs below the link to the reserves encounter. The 'Reserves' are those that don't deploy as detailed in 03.06.00.

Qoff
September 21st, 2016, 22:25
Read 03.06.00 for the total numbers of the attackers and how they deploy, and then read 03.06.02 which tells you what happens next - particularly the paragraphs below the link to the reserves encounter. The 'Reserves' are those that don't deploy as detailed in 03.06.00.

Thank you, sorry for the noobness I usually don't DM published adventures.

Another question, which maps are you guys using for combat? I noticed that there isn't combat maps for this part of the adventure.

Zacchaeus
September 21st, 2016, 22:40
No there isn't any maps for those encounters unfortunately. I'd suggest that you have a look at some of the maps in this list here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27298-Extensions-Modules-Pregens-and-other-5E-resources) which might help. Or check out the stickies in this forum (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?90-Maps).

Qoff
September 21st, 2016, 22:42
Thank you!

Danimal66
September 22nd, 2016, 01:09
Is it just me or is the Sword Coast Map in this module only half of the map in the actual printed / book module? My party is on the way to Everlund and the sword coast map is only half the size.

Qoff
September 22nd, 2016, 01:13
Is it just me or is the Sword Coast Map in this module only half of the map in the actual printed / book module? My party is on the way to Everlund and the sword coast map is only half the size.

Where is the map in this module? I didn't found it yet.

Danimal66
September 22nd, 2016, 01:17
There is a map called Sword coast which looks to be page 74 from the printed book. However I can't find a map representing page 75 of the book. Since chapter 3 has the players traveling all over the place this map is kind of essential. I'm assuming I'm jsut missing it.

Trenloe
September 22nd, 2016, 01:22
The default image window size for this map is only showing the top half of the map. Pan down to see the rest - see "Pan Image Inside Viewport" here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images#Viewing. Or right-click -> Layers -> Navigator to see an overview of the whole image and click on the navigator to move the view.

Danimal66
September 22nd, 2016, 01:27
The default image window size for this map is only showing the top half of the map. Pan down to see the rest - see "Pan Image Inside Viewport" here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images#Viewing. Or right-click -> Layers -> Navigator to see an overview of the whole image and click on the navigator to move the view.

That is actually not the issue. The Map is only half the width or as I pointed out one page of the printer module. In the module the sword coast map covers pages 74 and 75. The map in the FG module is identical to the map on page 74 of the book. The map on page 75 which is everyuthing east of the Desarin valley is missing. I can pan up and down just fine, I can pan right as there is no more map. It appears you left this mapout of the FG module

Trenloe
September 22nd, 2016, 01:32
That is actually not the issue. The Map is only half the width or as I pointed out one page of the printer module. In the module the sword coast map covers pages 74 and 75. The map in the FG module is identical to the map on page 74 of the book. The map on page 75 which is everyuthing east of the Desarin valley is missing. I can pan up and down just fine, I can pan right as there is no more map. It appears you left this mapout of the FG module
Yeah, sorry - I was testing and writing my response and didn't see your post about the second page missing.

Qoff
September 22nd, 2016, 01:33

That's true, just checked it.

Danimal66
September 22nd, 2016, 01:36
Yeah, sorry - I was testing and writing my response and didn't see your post about the second page missing.

Something that can be patched in at some point? I believe we will be spending many sessions in chapter 3.

Qoff
September 22nd, 2016, 01:38
Something that can be patched in at some point? I believe we will be spending many sessions in chapter 3.

I hope this patch as well, but you can add manually the map, I belive that there is a complete map in the internet in a high resolution.

Danimal66
September 22nd, 2016, 03:03
Nevermind found it, Map is called The North

Trenloe
September 22nd, 2016, 03:22
Yeah, found in "Important Links" funnily enough! :D

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15423

Glad you found it.

Zacchaeus
September 22nd, 2016, 21:11
Indeed. And you'll find links to that map all over the place including just below the link to the Sword Cast map at 04.03.000 where presumably you came across it at first.

I named that map The North since I didn't want to call it Sword Coast 2 or something :)

Danimal66
September 22nd, 2016, 21:39
Indeed. And you'll find links to that map all over the place including just below the link to the Sword Cast map at 04.03.000 where presumably you came across it at first.

I named that map The North since I didn't want to call it Sword Coast 2 or something :)

Don't recall where I found the link but once I did it was showing up all over the place. I was just trying to find it from the Maps Button which was a mistake. This is literally the hardest module to DM I've ever run across and I've been DMing since 1985. ;)

Zacchaeus
September 22nd, 2016, 22:00
Don't recall where I found the link but once I did it was showing up all over the place. I was just trying to find it from the Maps Button which was a mistake. This is literally the hardest module to DM I've ever run across and I've been DMing since 1985. ;)

Hehe, you obviously haven't played Out of the Abyss or Princes of the Apocalypse then :)

When I was converting it I was conscious of the fact that players had free reign to go virtually anywhere and take any direction. Hence the huge number of links, the extensive use of quests and the links page right at the top of the contents list as well as the links in every map and handout that I could find. It will obviously pay to read the module all the way through at least once to get a handle on what you are doing. The adventure flowchart is a key document I think as well as the two maps the Sword Coast and The North. With these anchored in your hotbar you should be able to navigate to any area without too much trouble, and keep track of the story.

LordEntrails
September 23rd, 2016, 00:44
... the two maps the Sword Coast and The North. With these anchored in your hotbar you should be able to navigate to any area without too much trouble, and keep track of the story.
You know, I know you can place map links in the hot bar. It's simple functionality. But I NEVER thought of actually doing that *smacks self* That's going to make PotA sooo much easier!

Brynnan
September 23rd, 2016, 03:58
*smacks self*

You can also add that to your hotbar also.

Nickademus
September 23rd, 2016, 05:55
There are several things people don't realize you can add to the hotbar, such as the End Turn button on the combat tracker. Just make sure to open the CT first each session to initiate the button.

Brynnan
September 23rd, 2016, 16:16
There are several things people don't realize you can add to the hotbar, such as the End Turn button on the combat tracker. Just make sure to open the CT first each session to initiate the button.

OK. I didn't know that one.

I wish you could do the Party Inventory Sheet, and the others etc.

Nickademus
September 24th, 2016, 01:10
Good idea. Trenloe made an extension to allow the (Pathfinder) party sheet group skill check button to be hotbar'd. It would be nice if all the PS buttons got that treatment. Of course, it won't matter come Unity.

Danimal66
September 24th, 2016, 03:26
I need a good battlemap(s) for the Evermoors as I have several quest planned their. Anyone have any good maps they can point me too?

Zacchaeus
September 24th, 2016, 12:35
I need a good battlemap(s) for the Evermoors as I have several quest planned their. Anyone have any good maps they can point me too?

Check out the sticky threads at the top of this forum (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?90-Maps) and there's more in the stickies at the top of the 5e forum to.

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2017, 22:22
I find it interesting that the current Dragon+ issue mentions SKT on Roll20, but not that it's available on FG...
https://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/article/113917/103228309?loadFresh=true&title=12_16_Maps%20of%20the%20Month

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2017, 22:30
I find it interesting that the current Dragon+ issue mentions SKT on Roll20, but not that it's available on FG...
https://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/article/113917/103228309?loadFresh=true&title=12_16_Maps%20of%20the%20Month
To add to this, last month's issue had some of the other STK maps, and mentioned FG but not R20...
So, I guess they were trying to make up for their lapse last month :0

kp9911
March 1st, 2017, 08:10
I've seen plenty of ads from wotc saying yawning portal is gonna be avaible on roll 20. It sounds very exclusive IMO and I have no idea why fg does not feat as well.