PDA

View Full Version : Storm King's Thunder module for Fantasy Grounds now available

Brynnan
August 26th, 2016, 05:29
The Storm King's Thunder module (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5ESKT) is now available on the Fantasy Grounds website and on Steam. It will be coming to DMsGuild shortly.

It costs $34.95 and if you have or get the Complete D&D Bundle, you will automatically get 25% off that.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5ESKT

Sildanis Kimetry
August 27th, 2016, 03:41
I have the Ultimate Subscription but have not gotten the PHB Pack or DM Pack or Monster Pack. I just have the SRD and Basic stuff that comes with the subscription. Can I use this module and will it give me all I need to DM it?
Also, I am thinking of taking the leap and doing some DMing and was looking at the DM Quest stuff and have a few questions. Is there a good youtube video about this? Can I talk with someone on how to go about it?

Brynnan
August 27th, 2016, 07:26
All of the Fantasy Grounds mods are completely self-contained unlike the actual modules and book. the mods will have links to the monsters in the SRC for example, and if it's a creature that is not in the SRC it will be in the module itself. This is different than the material plane versions that require you to look up the stat blocks in the Monster Manual. The DMG and PHB are similarly optional, but both are nice to have. I would get the PHB first. If you are not creating your own adventures, then the DMG and MM are less important.

The main thing is, in order to DM you will need a license, very preferably the Ultimate, which you have. So that and the FG mod files are all you need. You can get the mod files from FG directly , as well as Steam and DMsGuild.com. Any DLC you purchase I recommend you get from a single source, either FG website or Steam, so that you can eventually complete the bundle.

The smaller AL episode modules will be available from DMsGuild (https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?test_epoch=0&filters=0_0_0_0_0_0_45545_0&affiliate_id=925821)

I'm the guy to ask about anything Adventure League.

Thorbino
August 28th, 2016, 13:17
Quick Question... Is there a way to get a PDF of the adventure and A Great Upheaval after I buy the Storm King's Thunder book on FG? I find it is a bit more helpful as a dM to read through the story once or twice before I run it if possible. It is a bit difficult to do this with the FG format mod. Is this a thing people have asked for?

damned
August 28th, 2016, 15:43
It has been asked - not specifically for SKT but for other 5e stuff - and I believe the answer will be No. The license is for FG modules not for PDFs. The Wizards have not published any of the (other than the free stuff) 5e products in PDF. And finally there is no way to prevent the distribution (sharing/pirating/whatever) of PDFs once they are out there.

dudeslife
August 28th, 2016, 19:05
And finally there is no way to prevent the distribution (sharing/pirating/whatever) of PDFs once they are out there.

This is what makes me angry. The PDFs are already "out there". Why are they so against people paying them for PDFs?

damned
August 28th, 2016, 22:57
This is what makes me angry. The PDFs are already "out there". Why are they so against people paying them for PDFs?

Because their commercial data strongly suggests that releasing 4e on PDF hurt their sales. Badly. (No need for discussion on whether it was because 4e was or was not better than 3.5e<weg>).

dudeslife
August 29th, 2016, 00:04
Because their commercial data strongly suggests that releasing 4e on PDF hurt their sales. Badly. (No need for discussion on whether it was because 4e was or was not better than 3.5e<weg>).

So the sale of PDFs cut into the sale of the hardcovers?

Brynnan
August 29th, 2016, 04:02
You may be able to get A Great Upheaval PDF from your FLGS. It is a store exclusive Introductory Adventure. They should give it to you if you will be running it in the store. As far as the entire book, no it will not be made available on PDF. (Well, maybe when 6E comes out.) Basically, you will have to buy the hardcover if you want a physical copy.

The AL episodes for Season 5 and before you can get in PDF on DMsGuild (https://www.dmsguild.com/&affiliate_id=925821) and some of them have FG mods included.

I, too, would love my 5E books in a searchable PDF format and would pay for them (again). But unless they add DRM, that's just not feasible.

kylania
August 29th, 2016, 06:12
You may be able to get A Great Upheaval PDF from your FLGS.

Will the DMsGuild have that as well, or can you send out copies please? The few local stores in my area don't have any as they no longer participate in AL apparently (people got tired of starting over each season).

Brynnan
August 29th, 2016, 06:21
No it won't be on DMsGuild, it's a store exclusive for in-store play. All it is is Chapter 1 from Storm King's Thunder. So you can just get that and do the same thing.

kylania
August 29th, 2016, 15:51
Ahh, ok great. Got the FG the other night and the hardcover coming this week, so guess I'm covered! Thanks.

rabbedrabit
August 31st, 2016, 18:07
spoiler allert
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
xx
x
x
x
x
x

x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
ive heard there is a cert for the new familure but it is only available in your FLGS. will this familure be available to fantasy grounds players?

freemanjc
September 1st, 2016, 17:19
Is there a way to get the maps that were made for SKT outside of FG? I would be willing to purchase them again as I like to use both FG and printed maps for placement (focus on specific areas where encounters take place).

dudeslife
September 1st, 2016, 21:14
Is there a way to get the maps that were made for SKT outside of FG? I would be willing to purchase them again as I like to use both FG and printed maps for placement (focus on specific areas where encounters take place).

https://theredepic.bigcartel.com/product/storm-king-s-thunder-map-prints-bundle-5th-edition-dnd

I am guessing Jared Blando did most of the maps. I am guessing because nobody is showing the maps in any review. As a DM I prefer Mike Schley maps, and I usually don't purchase unless he does the majority of the cartography.

freemanjc
September 1st, 2016, 23:44
https://theredepic.bigcartel.com/product/storm-king-s-thunder-map-prints-bundle-5th-edition-dnd

I am guessing Jared Blando did most of the maps. I am guessing because nobody is showing the maps in any review. As a DM I prefer Mike Schley maps, and I usually don't purchase unless he does the majority of the cartography.

Thanks for the info, I was able to find out that Mr. Blando did the maps for SKT.

Brynnan
September 2nd, 2016, 05:09
ive heard there is a cert for the new familure but it is only available in your FLGS. will this familure be available to fantasy grounds players?

You are correct, and No.

A Great Upheaval is Chapter 1 that was ripped out of the Storm King's Thunder hardcover and released to stores as DDIA05, an Introductory Adventure. In addition to a week+ headstart in most cases, they also got a set of six certs for their in-store players. It's a strictly a store-exclusive.

In the description of the "special familiar" in the Appendix of the hardcover, it mentions that it may be used for a familiar for those with the spell. But this is disallowed for an AL-legal game as per the STK AL FAQ (https://dndadventurersleague.org/storm-kings-thunder-dm-quest-faq/). A non-legal game, knock yourself out.

dudeslife
September 2nd, 2016, 15:30
Thanks for the info, I was able to find out that Mr. Blando did the maps for SKT.

yeah, I saw some of them and I'm disappointed.

Myrdin Potter
September 2nd, 2016, 17:29
With the move from battle map also driving the running the game in 4e to a more free form method in 5e, maps that are not overly stylistic and can be used as battle maps really depend on the art director and how the artist translates the requests.

CoS is certainly a good example of that where the included maps are generally supplemented by other maps from 3rd parties.

rabbedrabit
September 2nd, 2016, 19:20
You are correct, and No.

A Great Upheaval is Chapter 1 that was ripped out of the Storm King's Thunder hardcover and released to stores as DDIA05, an Introductory Adventure. In addition to a week+ headstart in most cases, they also got a set of six certs for their in-store players. It's a strictly a store-exclusive.

In the description of the "special familiar" in the Appendix of the hardcover, it mentions that it may be used for a familiar for those with the spell. But this is disallowed for an AL-legal game as per the STK AL FAQ (https://dndadventurersleague.org/storm-kings-thunder-dm-quest-faq/). A non-legal game, knock yourself out.

will they ever give any trinkets to us on fg or am i just holding my breath for no good reason?

Brynnan
September 7th, 2016, 04:15
The whole no-cert thing is pretty new. I don't know if we will ever see FG-exclusive certs, but who knows? What we did gain, and it's huge, is that now when magic items are awarded in an online game, they can still be traded even with certs. Previously, that could only be done with the cert from playing in the store.

Non-standard magic items like a cool familiar? Not sure we would see that online, so I don't think I'd hold my breath. But when they start asking for suggestions for next season, I'll suggest it and see what happens.