PDA

View Full Version : Goblin tactics tutorial request

kevdog45
August 25th, 2016, 15:10
I am prepping an adventure where goblins have taken over a cave mine. When the characters enter the goblins are going to hide using their pretty awesome stealth bonus and try to ambush the characters. My question is once they attack can they use their bonus action to hide again? I mean could they attack from a hidden position then on their next turn move using disengage as their bonus action, hide as their action and then next turn attack again from a hidden position? How does that pattern work or once they launch the ambush and are committed do they forfeit any chance of hiding?

Bottom line is I am looking for DM advice on creating goblin encounters for first level characters that are challenging.

Zacchaeus
August 25th, 2016, 16:08
Assuming that this is for 5e.

The rules for Hiding are on p177 of the PHB; so the Goblins can use a bonus action to make an attempt to hide at some point during their turn. To do so they need to make a Stealth check against all of the PC Perception score. However as it says in the rules for hiding, doing so under the nose of a creature that you are in combat with is pretty difficult if not impossible. To some extent it will depend on the environment; is it dark or is there plenty of cover around etc.

So a combat might go like this
The Goblins start Hidden
The PCs enter and if any succeed on a passive perception check they spot some Goblins and aren't surprised. Those that fail are surprised.
The Goblins attack, from range with their bows. They then take a bonus action to attempt to hide pitting their Stealth against the PCs perception. However becasue this is a combat situation I'd be giving the PCs advantage on their rolls unless it was very dark.
Next turn the Goblins can attack again from hiding, if they succeeded in their stealth rolls. However the Goblins don't get any particular advantage from doing so.

The most useful of the Goblins tactics is the disengage bonus action. This allows them to run up to an opponent, hit them, and then move away without granting an opportunity attack. Thus they can position themselves in such a way that PCs might have to move into melee against two or three of them with the consequence that they will take more hits than they would like.

Remember in 5e an encounter with 4 Goblins is a Deadly encounter for 4 1st level characters.

kylania
August 25th, 2016, 17:41
Personally I'd implement something like the Kobold Victory Table (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/4t0mqy/5e_the_most_important_conversion_yet_the_kobold/). :)

Nylanfs
August 25th, 2016, 19:07
Also, traps.

LordEntrails
August 25th, 2016, 20:15
Also, traps.
Simple traps though.
Things like;
- trip wires (DC 13 Perception to detect) that fire a dart +3 ranged attack for 1d4 damage.
- caltrops
- falling boulders, save DC 13 Acrobatics (Dexterity) or be knocked prone

Nylanfs
August 25th, 2016, 20:51
And since they are small creatures make use of restricted spaces.

Roakana
August 25th, 2016, 21:55
i have run it as a combo. shoot and disengage to move out of view. hide at start of next turn and reengage. it makes goblins brutal at hit and run tactics. If i have them hiding in bushes in a forest it felt appropriate to try to hide immediately but as a DM you will need to make those situational decisions without completely abusing your players.

Nylanfs
August 26th, 2016, 02:23
without, completely, abusing, your, players

I understand those words but they don't make any sense when strung together like that.

LordEntrails
August 26th, 2016, 02:37
without, completely, abusing, your, players

I understand those words but they don't make any sense when strung together like that.
I was going to see what you were running for FG Con, but now I don't know if I want to be one of your players :)

(Thanks for the laugh!)

Mumbles
August 26th, 2016, 17:27
Personally I'd implement something like the Kobold Victory Table (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/4t0mqy/5e_the_most_important_conversion_yet_the_kobold/). :)

What in the Nine Hells?? This is lovely! Thanks for the link.

Now...to table it...

bigrage
September 2nd, 2016, 07:33

thx for link!:o (https://meetwife.com/blog/category-dating-tips/post-why-russian-girls-are-the-best-real-reviews/)

Black Hammer
September 10th, 2016, 13:17
Give the goblins families, ancestral claims to the resources, a forged deed sold to them by the local mayor, and malnourishment. Then riddle your players with guilt as they consider the difference between adventurers and heroes.

Wrong sort of challenge?

kevdog45
September 10th, 2016, 17:10
Give the goblins families, ancestral claims to the resources, a forged deed sold to them by the local mayor, and malnourishment. Then riddle your players with guilt as they consider the difference between adventurers and heroes.

Wrong sort of challenge?

I am actually planning on something like this at some point but for now the goblins are going to be the aggressors.

JohnD
September 11th, 2016, 23:12

Wrong sort of challenge?

Perfect!