PDA

View Full Version : d20 Modern - Laungages

APPR3NTIC3
August 24th, 2016, 10:35
So I recently decided to make a modern Zombie game, I've been working in Fantasy Grounds (which I bought on Steam) as well as the d20 ruleset. I noticed however, there are no languages what-so-ever to use. What's more is I can't find out for the life of me how to make my own.

Now mind you, I don't need anything crazy, like Spanish in the chat window with non-Spanish speaking characters looking like Spanish for instance, the text could literally read [speaks french] in the chat for all I care. I'm mostly looking for modern languages, but if anybody happens to have a more comprehensive extension then awesome.

Also, a point in the right direction for how to make my own, which I'm guessing is via extensions. However, I cannot find the correct argument to work with languages, so I can only assume it's a database thing, which now has me lost.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Trenloe
August 24th, 2016, 15:56
See if this extension might help you: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20332-Tenians-Language-Chat-Extension-for-select-FG-3-0-rulesets It uses FG chat slash commands, so it might work OK for d20 modern (which doesn't have the recent CoreRPG language feature). For translation it relies on the PC having their languages in a specific place in the database, and I don't know if d20 modern stores these in the same place (I don't own the ruleset).

Anyway, it might be a good place for you to start... Your first step will be changing the <ruleset> tag in extension.xml to allow you to load this in the d20Modern ruleset.

APPR3NTIC3
August 25th, 2016, 05:40
No such luck. I put it in my extensions folder and it shows up for my other rulesets (3.5E, 4E, and 5E), just not d20 modern..

LordEntrails
August 25th, 2016, 05:57
No such luck. I put it in my extensions folder and it shows up for my other rulesets (3.5E, 4E, and 5E), just not d20 modern..
Did you remember to change the <ruleset> tag like Trenloe mentioned?

APPR3NTIC3
August 25th, 2016, 06:32
I'm a little new to this, where do I find the "extension.xml" file to add the <ruleset> tag to it?

damned
August 25th, 2016, 07:51
short answer - Unzip it and edit the extension.xml file...
Longer answer later...

APPR3NTIC3
August 25th, 2016, 11:36
Thanks, finally figured it out. I got it working. I just had a couple of issues I was curious about.

1. Is there a way to get languages to show up on the little drop down menu that shows up right above the "chat" button? It currently shows up with nothing in the list. (I can include a screenshot if needed)

2. Is there a way to make a "Chat Bubble" text option under the Story entries with the /lang option added in? When I do that it doesn't seem to run the extension, it simply says '/lang German Hello' in the chat window.

Trenloe
August 25th, 2016, 15:55
1) I wasn't aware that the d20 modern ruleset had languages functionality built in as I didn't think it was built on the CoreRPG ruleset. Check if there is a languages button in the campaign options screen. A screenshot of the list you see in the chat window would be good, showing the ruleset versions listed in the chat window when first loaded.

2) Nope, sorry. You can't put chat slash handler commands in a story/chat entry.

APPR3NTIC3
August 25th, 2016, 23:06
Yep it does, truth be told I never knew that button was there, I totally overlooked it all this time. So I can add all the languages I want, but there are no choices in the drop-down menus beside each language in the settings page. Does that require some .fgf file to be in a certain location and if so how does it know which fgf to reference?

Ah, I figured it just couldn't work in the story/chat area, I tried for a good 5 minutes, lol.

As always thanks again for all these answers too.