PDA

View Full Version : PC's Can't Use Weapons in the Combat Tracker... Imported From Herolab...

paladinpariah
August 24th, 2016, 04:35
So I just started messing around with Fantasy Grounds today and I'm trying to use it with Pathfinder. I managed to figure out how to import characters, although they won't import directly to my campaign using the converter.exe, I have to convert them to FG XML files and then import those.

Not sure if this is the problem, but in the combat tracker, no PCs have equipped weapons. I went into Hero Lab and triple checked that weapons were equipped before exporting.

Would love to know what I'm doing wrong because I can't really progress in Fantasy Grounds until I've gotten past this pretty basic functionality.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Trenloe
August 24th, 2016, 05:03
Welcome to the forums!

PC entries don't show attacks in the combat tracker - this is by design as the actions tab is just too complex to convert into the combat tracker. Plus the combat tracker functionality is primarily controlled by the GM, not players (the player view just helps to show what's happening and the relevant statuses of health etc., there's not much players "do" in the combat tracker). If, as the GM you want to roll PC attacks, open up the character sheet from the link in the combat tracker and roll from there.

Andraax
August 24th, 2016, 05:04
PC attack from their character sheets. Only NPCs attack from the tracker.

paladinpariah
August 24th, 2016, 06:38
Well that's confusing and enlightening all at the same time. Will have to try it when I'm in front of my machine again.

Thank you for the help.

Nylanfs
August 24th, 2016, 12:10
Also welcome to the forums and FG community!

paladinpariah
August 26th, 2016, 20:58
So I finally got in front of this today and tried it out. Yay! I made it work. I feel like I've reached the next step to understanding how this program works. I am left with other questions, however.

When I drag the #1 Att box from the actions tab of the character sheet onto a monster in the combat tracker, it calculates the hit based on both combatants.
When I drag the #1 Att box from the actions tab of the character sheet onto a monster's token, it calculates the hit based on both combatants.
When I set the target of the PC and then double click the #1 Att box from the actions tab, it just rolls based on the PC's stats.

Any way to get the PC's to be able to just double click and get the hit calculated using both combatants? Any other, simpler, faster methods of doing this?

I find a lot of this dragging and dropping mechanic to really slow down the workflow of the app. Seems like it should roll the hit if the target has been selected in the combat tracker. Is there somewhere on the PC side of things to select a target on the character sheet? I guess I wish all the functionality was in the combat tracker. Just makes intuitive sense for me while using the program.

I suppose for testing self created adventures, I will probably have to just open multiple instances of FG to simulate players like people have been saying on a lot of the Youtube tutorials...

Again, thanks for the tips, they were immensely helpful.

LordEntrails
August 26th, 2016, 21:33
So, you drag your character portraits to the CT? The monsters are placed on the CT either from the encounter button or from dragging from the NPC list? Then they are placed on the map from the CT?

If that's all the case, then the players just need to target the monster by selecting from the map or the CT. The CT will then show that the PC has a target. Once the CT sees a target, double clicking the action on the PC sheet should then properly calculate the action/attack.

Is that not happening?

paladinpariah
August 26th, 2016, 22:04
Figured out the problem. Wrong PC was being rolled for. Double clicking works now. Thanks for posting, it made me re-examine and check my error. Learning, learning, learning...

LordEntrails
August 26th, 2016, 22:56
Glad you got it. There's always more to learn. I see posts from some of the users who have ben around for years saying something like "I didn't know that..."