PDA

View Full Version : A refresh client function for inconsistencies?

RagingCeltik
August 22nd, 2016, 15:58
I was wondering if there was a way, on the host machine, to refresh the connection and information available to client machines.

During our recent session, we were seeing some odd behavior. As host I was using an ultimate license, and the players all had the free version of FG. All players were connected over a local LAN and there wasn't any issue with them connecting or remaining connected, however over the course of the session a few players needed to close FG and reload because of issues like:

1) they weren't able to see a few of the other players' icons on the desktop and/or on maps (those players could still see everything fine).

2) their personal combat tracker was not removing a previously targeted and deleted enemy from their character (that targeted enemy did not appear on anyone else's tracker, including the GM [me]).

3) the map itself just stopped updating for them (despite repeated share or sync commands from the host, other players remained unaffected).

It's all minor stuff, but could a kind of "refresh" signal sent out from the host could potentially clear up inconsistencies between clients without warranting restarting the program on the client computer? Or does the sharing of data between host and clients not work that way?

Zacchaeus
August 22nd, 2016, 16:24
Apart from refreshing shared items there should be no need for anything to be refreshed like that. It sounds like either those connected were suffering from packet loss or alternatively the database was getting out of sync. If you use any kind of cloud based back up system then suspend it when you are playing or disable backups of your campaign data altogether. No terribly sure what you can do to minimise packet loss; that might depend a bit on signal strength, number of users or other possibly uncontrollable reasons.

Trenloe
August 22nd, 2016, 16:32
This sounds like the player side cache was not getting updated or became corrupt. As Zacchaeus mentions, don't use any cloud sync on services on your FG data directory. Some other things:

Open the FG console on the player side by typing /console in the chat window. Monitor this for any warnings/errors - especially those regarding accessing saving data.
Check for file access issues. Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30604-Windows-file-access-issues-can-t-update-campaigns-not-saving-etc-Fix-options
Only run one player instance on one computer - multiple instances of FG as a player can corrupt the player data cache. Note: for those GMs who run a player instance using localhost on the same computer as the GM instance - this is OK, but only run one player instance (i.e. GM plus one player instance).

RagingCeltik
August 22nd, 2016, 16:34
We were all connected to the same wireless router, there were six people (one host, 5 clients), no cloud backup, and data is saved to the Documents directory (permissions not an issue). I have a newer, but unfortunately slow, laptop. Would I be correct in assuming that the strength of the host machine might play a factor in this as well, that it might be struggling to handle 5 clients for some reason?

Trenloe
August 22nd, 2016, 16:39
We were all connected to the same wireless router, there were six people (one host, 5 clients), no cloud backup. I have a newer, but unfortunately slow, laptop. Would I be correct in assuming that the strength of the host machine might play a factor in this as well, that it might be struggling to handle 5 clients for some reason?
6 people all on the same wireless could be an issue. Your host machine might be slow, but shouldn't be stopping updates (especially if some are seeing updates and others aren't and a restart of the player side of FG fixes the issue for a while) - it's more than likely packet drop on the wireless LAN.

How strong is the wireless signal where you play? Could you try connecting a small switch/hub for a few of the players and BM or, at the least, connect a network cable between the GM computer and your router? Just to see if that makes a difference and as the first step in looking for the cause and a fix...

RagingCeltik
August 22nd, 2016, 17:00
The router at the home where we were playing is far enough away that setting up a switch/hub would be more of a hassle than it's worth. From memory I would say the signal strength would dip at times from 100% to about 80%, and I don't know the specifics on my friend's router. I plan on hosting the next session at my home where the router will be much closer and I could feasibly wire everyone up if need be, so I will try that and report back if we continue to have the same issues. I will say that we did play an external session with everyone connecting from their own homes and we did not have issues that time, so you are probably correct in diagnosing the problem as the # of people on one (wireless) router.

Nylanfs
August 22nd, 2016, 18:28
What about getting a small switch and a bunch of cable?

RagingCeltik
August 22nd, 2016, 20:21
As a last resort, we'd try that.

damned
August 23rd, 2016, 07:58
Wireless protocols are contention based and you are all accessing and acting on teh same data - I think the wireless is almost certainly the culprit here.