PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on how to convert old pdf adventures to usable 5e and fg moduels

rabbedrabit
August 22nd, 2016, 05:47
hey hope you will be able to assist or that you are looking for suggestions as i am by being on this thread.
im going to attempt to convert tears of the crocodile god and the hidden shrine of tamoachan from dungen magazine #209 i have it in pdf format but would like to build modules to load and remove when needed.
so first question is what tools, software, or any thing else will i need to convert pdf to jpeg so it is readable by fg.
ive figured out how to make the paragraphs what i want, how to build the treasure parcels, xp, and what not.
and any ideas on how to convert the 4e monsters to 5e if there not allready in the mm.

thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me to help
and hope that if you are looking for assistance this does help to.

rabbedrabit

PS if you have allready converted them and are willing to share i would be gratefull enough to emplore the dice gods to bless your dice for the years to come.

rabbedrabit
August 22nd, 2016, 05:50
oh ya almost forgot im allso going to be converting the isle of dread from expert to 5e (hopefully)

damned
August 22nd, 2016, 06:16
You cannot share these modules as they are copyright.
You can grab the maps with any screen grab tool or you can use a tool that will extract all images from PDF.
Either way you will likely have to clean up the images and scale them for ease of use.
Otherwise everything else you need is in Fantasy Grounds.

rabbedrabit
August 22nd, 2016, 06:25
they are copy righted even though they where published in dungeon magazine?
does that mean i shouldnt make them for my use on fg?

rabbedrabit
August 22nd, 2016, 06:26
Moderator: Link deleted

damned
August 22nd, 2016, 06:31
Anything published by any one else remains their copyright. They may choose to release it under something like CC which may give you some rights but otherwise its not re-shareable.
You are permitted to convert it for your own use. That is covered by Fair Use.

damned
August 22nd, 2016, 06:32
Anything published by any one else remains their copyright. They may choose to release it under something like CC which may give you some rights but otherwise its not re-shareable.
You are permitted to convert it for your own use. That is covered by Fair Use.

Please also remove the link to pirated/copyright material.

rabbedrabit
August 22nd, 2016, 06:33
ok thanks what do you suggest for capturing the images and converting said images to jpeg

damned
August 22nd, 2016, 07:23
GiMP is my application of choice.

Myrdin Potter
August 22nd, 2016, 08:01
You can use one of several PDF programs as well. One that can make a "snapshot" of the page so you can crop out the image is good. Many pay let you just grab the image, but some do not.

If you have the source material, all you really need to convert are the encounters which are the maps and the monsters. Yiu can read from the PDF for the text. If you want all the text as well in FG, be prepared to be taking out all the line feeds you get from cutting and pasting text from a PDF.

I can now convert a 20 page module with all of the text somewhat formatted in a few hours. I am bad at map work, so using gimp to make players maps takes me a while.

Nickademus
August 22nd, 2016, 11:35
I've heard it recommended (and I use from time to time) NitroReader 3.

Trenloe
August 22nd, 2016, 14:14
Depending on the PDF setting you can usually just use Adobe PDF Reader. Go into selection mode, click on the image/map to highlight it and right-click and select Copy. Then open up your chosen graphics app and paste in the image. Save as a JPG with quality between 40 and 70 to keep he file size down.

rabbedrabit
August 23rd, 2016, 03:30
Please also remove the link to pirated/copyright material.

sorry didnt know it was pirated that was from dungen pdf mag